Show us your amphibians and reptiles from around the world...

Game Warden

Just back from a holiday in Sicily. We saw this on a wall. It is called the Sicilian Wall Lizard!

post-45513-0-59099200-1402759042_thumb.jpg

post-45513-0-46044900-1402759086_thumb.jpg

post-45513-0-85892200-1402759103_thumb.jpg

Actually we saw lots of them, frequently moving very quickly. This one allowed me to get close with a zoom that only goes up to 70mm (no long lens on holiday) - then cropped.

• 3 weeks later...
offshorebirder

This American Alligator is keeping a breathing hole thawed in seal-like fashion. It was caught out of its winter den by a sudden and severe cold snap. Photo taken at the Yawkey Wildlife Center (where I do shorebird research), in South Carolina, USA on December 15, 2010. At first we thought it was dead, but just after the photo was taken, it slowly drew down in the water. So we beat a hasty retreat to avoid bothering it. Canon 7D with 30mm f4 lens; unknown settings.

7045654455_25d8617560_c.jpg

This very large (4-meter) American Alligator was basking in the sun on February 6, 2011 during an unseasonable warm spell. Photo taken at the Yawkey Wildlife Center in coastal South Carolina, USA. Photo taken at close range at only 1X magnification, ISO 200, f/4, 1/1250/sec, Canon Powershot A630.

5425358311_21a3f266f3_z.jpg

This female Snapping Turtle was laying eggs at Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge at Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. August 4, 2008. F5.6, 1/1250/sec, Canon Powershot A630.

2736466814_a87552a421_z.jpg

2736466458_d8f0061a53_z.jpg

This Eastern Newt was walking along a stream at the Eastern Continental Divide along the South Carolina / North Carolina border in the southern Appalachian Mountains. It was a few miles uphill from Caesar's Head State Park, on September 2, 2013. Canon 7D with 30mm f4 lens; unknown settings.

9661590083_e74d8e544a_z.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

• 4 months later...

We made a quick trip to Arizona this past August and had 3 encounters with a real life monster. These guys are notoriously hard to find so I think we got really lucky. I give you the Gila Monster:

DSC_5061_edited-1-L.jpg

DSC_5062_edited-1-L.jpg

DSC_5071_edited-1-L.jpg

It's hard to due them justice with still photography so here is a so-so video compilation of the Gila Monsters moving along with some other desert wildlife:

http://youtu.be/bKiT2Woab18?list=UUR85RVhu3Az-VOUXYPJtDgg

• 7 months later...
offshorebirder

Recently I rescued this Eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina) out of a 4-lane highway. The location was surrounded by woods in the process of being cut down + developed - not good for the turtle's long-term survival. So I took it to a nice nearby nature preserve and released it before snapping a photo.

If you look closely, you can see that I also ended up saving a tiny snail, which is crawling across the turtle's chest.

17204843271_bf25b04139_b.jpg

michael-ibk

Great picture. Love the tiny snail, thanks for pointing it out. :)

offshorebirder

Thanks @@michael-ibk - that photo was one of the very rare occasions when I used a camera flash (it was a pretty dark forest where I released the box turtle).

Kingfisher Safaris

Leopard Tortoise, Linyanti Botswana, 2009

post-17608-0-20236900-1434455552_thumb.jpg

Nile Crocodile, Chobe River Botswana, 2009

post-17608-0-80259200-1434455671_thumb.jpg

Chameleon, Linyanti, 2008

post-17608-0-83248000-1434455785_thumb.jpg

Frog in the Bill of a Ground Hornbill, Kwedi concession, Botswana 2013

post-17608-0-73630900-1434455869_thumb.jpg

(Angolan?) Reed Frog, Okavango (Xigera), 2013

post-17608-0-14918600-1434455977_thumb.jpg

Lizard, Namibia 2013 (any identification would be welcome)

post-17608-0-70953000-1434456290_thumb.jpg

Chameleon, Etosha NP, 2013

post-17608-0-49694700-1434456356_thumb.jpg

Terrapins, Etosha NP, Namibia, 2015

post-17608-0-27896400-1434456091_thumb.jpg

Hi @@Kingfisher Safaris, your unidentified lizard is a female Namib Rock Agama (Agama planiceps). Your second Chameleon is also an Agama (and I love the photo!), but I'm not sure which species :) Your first Chameleon is a Flap-necked chameleon (Chamaeleo dilepis)

Kingfisher Safaris

@@Dan

Fantastic, thanks. Misidentification is always a problem.......still working on identifying some birds from photographs from my recent Namibia trip!

• 2 weeks later...
Tom Kellie

Hi @@Kingfisher Safaris, your unidentified lizard is a female Namib Rock Agama (Agama planiceps). Your second Chameleon is also an Agama (and I love the photo!), but I'm not sure which species :) Your first Chameleon is a Flap-necked chameleon (Chamaeleo dilepis)

~ @@Dan

Many thanks for the most helpful reptile identifications.

Welcome to Safaritalk!

If it's ever convenient and comfortable, please do introduce yourself in the Introductions section.

A qualified herpetologist would be a welcome addition!

Tom K.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @@Tom Kellie, I'm certainly not a qualified herpetologist but I'm definitely a keen one! I will introduce myself in the Introductions section soon!

Hi @@Tom Kellie, I'm certainly not a qualified herpetologist but I'm definitely a keen one! I will introduce myself in the Introductions section soon!

~ @@Dan

I apologize for my delayed reply. I've been away on a 2-week safari.

I'd love to know more about your interests and background.

More herps than usual kept popping up throughout the just completed safari.

Very glad that you're here on Safaritalk.

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...

A few reptiles from our recent trip to Borneo (Sabah)

gallery_45513_1269_133867.jpg

gallery_45513_1272_222125.jpg

gallery_45513_1299_92923.jpg

gallery_45513_1301_166649.jpg

gallery_45513_1301_257293.jpg

gallery_45513_1301_179804.jpg

gallery_45513_1301_178270.jpg

~ @@TonyQ

You've given us quite a treat!

For those of us partial to lizards, skinks and their like, this is a veritable cornucopia.

That 4th one down has such an elongated skeletal system — remarkable!

This group is an education for me as I had no idea that reptiles were so readily observable in Borneo.

Terrific photos with excellent color and luminosity!

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

Thank you

The 4th one is a flying lizard - and we did see it fly (although it is more like gliding - but pretty impressive anyway!)

• 4 weeks later...

The Green Sea Turtles of Akumal, Mexico

About 90 miles south of Cancun is an area of sandy beaches which are home to the green sea turtles. Akumal is a small settlement blessed with two of the sandy beaches and within each bay grows the favorite food of green sea turtles – sea grass. From May to October female turtles come up out of the ocean onto the sand to lay their eggs in the middle of the night.

Early one morning in July, I noticed a mother turtle was still on the beach. During the night she had dug a large hole, laid her eggs, and now was covering them up with sand. She would flip the sand for a couple of minutes and then rest. She was exhausted.

gallery_22564_950_429228.jpg

After a short while she decided that her work was done and made for the sea.

gallery_22564_950_217144.jpg

gallery_22564_950_136429.jpg

During nesting season volunteers walk the beaches every night to protect the turtles and safe guard the nests. The nest are marked with a circle of stones and a cross telling people to stay away. Each nest is numbered and the location is recorded. When the date for hatching comes due, the stones around the nest are removed on the side facing the ocean.

The following year we returned to Akumal in November and found that most of the nests had hatched, but there was one left and the stones were now only in a half circle so I knew it was time. I checked on the nest several times a day but the sand on top never changed. Finally late one afternoon, I noticed one little turtle had crawled partially out. Once he made it to the top, he just rested and appeared almost to be dead.

gallery_22564_950_269863.jpg

About a half hour later out popped another little turtle and then another. Each one just rested and did nothing unless pushed out of the way by another turtle climbing up. A small circle of people gathered around the nest and a turtle guard joined us. Some people who owned smart phones downloaded an app so that their phones shown read lights on the nest which did not bother the turtles and I was able to take this picture.

gallery_22564_950_225938.jpg

A regular camera flash would have blinded the turtles and they would not have been able to find their way to the ocean.

About six hours after the first turtle climbed up, the ground around the nest started heaving and the guard asked us to dig a trench straight to the ocean to help guide the turtles. When the last turtle broke thru the sand, all the babies began at once to run as fast as they could. We used the back of our hands to gently restrict them to the trench. About three minutes, it was all over. Every baby turtle was in the ocean. The guard then dug out the nest with his hands and found 92 eggs had hatched.

A lucky 1 out of a 1000 will reach maturity and come back to Akumal to eat the sea grass and if it is a female, she will lay her eggs on the same beach.

gallery_22564_950_321011.jpg

gallery_22564_950_119950.jpg

~ @@Terry

The colors!

Your underwater images above are soft, gentle, epic in their own way.

Really appreciate your posting these.

They brighten up Safaritalk!

Thank you.

Tom K.

@@TonyQ, fantastic herp photos!

Now that we are starting to settle in after our move to Arizona a few months back, here are some of the local herps we have as neighbors:

Regal Horned Lizard:

DSC_9491_edited-1-M.jpg

DSC_6673_edited-1-M.jpg

Western Banded Gecko:

DSC_8879_edited-1-M.jpg

Coachwhip in our garage (we have now learned NOT to leave the door open for very long):

DSC_8770_edited-1-M.jpg

Gopher Snake:

DSC_8720_edited-1-M.jpg

Sonoran Whipsnake:

DSC_8537_edited-1-M.jpg

DSC_6850_edited-1-M.jpg

Whiptail:

DSC_8256_edited-1-M.jpg

Clark's Spiny Lizard (these guys hang out on our house most the day):

DSC_8017_edited-1-M.jpg

Western Patch-nosed Snake:

DSC_7842_edited-1-M.jpg

DSC_6265_edited-1-M.jpg

Black-tailed Rattlesnake:

DSC_7728_edited-1-M.jpg

Gila Monster:

DSC_7711_edited-1-M.jpg

DSC_5369_edited-1-M.jpg

Greater Earless Lizard:

DSC_6622_edited-1-M.jpg

Sonoran Coral Snake:

DSC_6392_edited-1-M.jpg

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake:

DSC_6222_edited-1-M.jpg

Desert Spiny Lizard:

DSC_5782_edited-1-M.jpg

~ @@Atdahl

What a collection of herps!

Your images are all terrific!

I especially like the black-tailed rattlesnake.

Thanks so much for sharing such a wealth of Arizona reptiles with us on Safaritalk!

Tom K.

@@Atdahl

What a fine set of neighbours you have discovered. It must be amazing to have so many creatures like these living near to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a Black-tailed Rattlesnake that we spotted in our yard recently:

DSC_1680_edited-1-M.jpg

~ @@Atdahl

What a cool sighting!

Thanks for sharing such a fine photograph with Safaritalk.

The purple wildflowers are such a pleasing contrast to the rattler.

You've captured the rattle so well!

Tom K.

offshorebirder

Here is a young Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus - one of my favorite scientific names) that we found during a bird walk I led this past Saturday at Santee National Wildlife Refuge in South Carolina. It was coiled beneath a Buttonbush and was very peaceful. All the bird walk participants were thrilled to see the venomous snake - I was relieved because sometimes people freak out...

I almost never use a camera flash but in this case I felt it would not be harmful. First photo is with a flash, second without. Canon 7d mk I + 300 mm f/4 IS lens.

21756673662_1f61a84772_h.jpg

21145647794_0d42710d4c_b.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Here is a very young American Alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) that I photographed yesterday at Donnelley Wildlife Management area just south of Charleston, South Carolina. It was with a large group of 25 other "baby gators".

They were making their "yump" call with regularity - so I kept a sharp eye out for their mother!

21742260826_e28db35903_b.jpg

Edited by offshorebirder

~ @@offshorebirder

GREAT colors!

Superbly captured, showing the rattlesnake's beauty.

The eye's iris in the lower image is excellent.

Thank you!

Tom K.