Show us your amphibians and reptiles from around the world...

Game Warden

offshorebirder

A nearly 4-meter American Alligator, stuffed full of crabs and fish, and heading for a nap. It had been feeding in a partially-drained former ricefield impoundment.

Photo taken at the Yawkey Wildlife Center, Georgetown County, South Carolina.

33507963324_f5defb4e73_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
davidedric

"Green Iguana". At least they are green - till the males get frisky like this guy. In the wild in Costa Rica

Dave

Image00023.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

Just a humble British Toad, I decided to mess about with a rather poor and uninteresting shot to see what could be done.

P.S.I love the ease of uploading photographs on the revamped forum!

649A0943 .jpg

Game Warden
1 minute ago, Dave Williams said:

P.S.I love the ease of uploading photographs on the revamped forum!

Thanks for the feedback @Dave Williams

American Alligator.. Viera Wetlands, Viera, FL

Nikon Coolpix P530

1/500, f/4.9, ISO 800, Exposure +0.7, Aperture 3.2, Focal 89mm

DSCN0494.JPG

DSCN0488.JPG

Tom Kellie
6 hours ago, Lyss said:

American Alligator.. Viera Wetlands, Viera, FL

Nikon Coolpix P530

1/500, f/4.9, ISO 800, Exposure +0.7, Aperture 3.2, Focal 89mm

~ @Lyss

Thank you for posting these alligator images.

I've never observed an alligator in nature.

Your photos convey what it must be like to encounter them in their natural habitat.

Is this anywhere near the Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands, which I've heard of?

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...

Broad-headed Skink (Plestiodon laticeps) I just learned about this little guy. Google is awesome sometimes lol. I saw him hanging out next to the exhibit at the zoo I was at and he was such a great little guy and didn't move while I fidgeted. Photo taken last year at the Brevard Zoo in Melbourne, FL.

Cool Lizard.JPG

Edited by Lyss

~ @Lyss

What a beautiful image!

Thank you for sharing a terrific skink image with us.

Much appreciated.

Tom K.

• 1 year later...
Dave Williams

A nest of Vipers!

The UK's only poisonous snake, the Common Adder or Viper are beginning to come out of hibernation. They sometimes intertwine with each other for extra warmth as they bask in the sunshine.

46387365304_43a630f239_b.jpgA Vipers Nest by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Wow @Dave Williams. How wonderful to see that.. and I think you are reflected in the eye of the one on the left. :)

Edited by wilddog

Very cool! I've seen pictures appearing of common vipers coming out of their hibernation from various countries recently. Always great to see.

Btw, snakes are venomous, not poisonous.

Dave Williams
19 minutes ago, ForWildlife said:

Btw, snakes are venomous, not poisonous.

Of course they are, thanks for the correction.:wacko:

Dave Williams

Here's one taken in Spain a couple of weeks ago, a Horseshoe Whip Snake. It's only a small specimen, maybe 0.5m compared to a fully grown one at 1.5m but as I didn't know what it was until later it was treated with a modicum of caution in case it had poisonous venom. A good indicator is that it has a round pupil, not a slit type one, however so do some highly venomous ones  so it's a rough guide not a rigid rule!

32122410787_053a6cedf7_b.jpgHorseshoe Whip Snake  Hemorrhois hippocrepis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

• 3 months later...

Rinca Island, Indonesia 2019

P1040907.JPG

P1040908.JPG

P1040913.JPG

P1040915.JPG

P1040931.JPG

P1040939.JPG

Costa Rica 2016

P1000110.JPG

Seychelles 2017

P1020141.JPG

P1020142.JPG

P1020150.JPG

• 2 months later...

In November 2016 we visited Florida and made a few trips into the Everglades National Park. In the Shark Valley area we watched an American alligator who had a turtle (Florida red-bellied cooter, I believe) in his mouth. The turtle made several attempts to escape but never got quite free of the alligator's jaws. We watched for 10-15 minutes but the alligator made no attempt to actually eat the turtle before we had to leave.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dave Williams

@jeffb interesting shot. I guess the alligator has enough pressure with it's bite to crack open the terrapin's shell?

By coincidence, the Everglades NP was the place that rekindled my interest in wildlife as I stood and watched an Egret with a fish in it's bill. It too spent an age trying to turn the fish so it could be swallowed but after what seemed like forever it eventually lost the fish who lived to fight anther day. I'd love to go back one day but I read somewhere recently that the reduction in wildlife has been quite dramatic in the last 20 years since I visited.

@Dave Williams  I assume it does, or else I suppose it eventually gave up and let the turtle go.

I don't know what the Everglades were like 20 years ago, but the increased visitor traffic and loss of fresh water input has certainly had a major impact. Not to mention the burmese pythons which are devastating a number of mammalian species. Its still very interesting and definitely worth a visit if you're in Florida.

• 5 months later...

IMGP9885-3.jpg.bc70f9d4b6858d6a9b731c5cbf4477d1.jpg

Palmato gecko in the Namib desert.

1448658803_IMGP9976(2).jpg.b65baed87933c1535693ad48ab92b5e8.jpg

Namaqua chameleon, also in the Namib desert. 

IMGP4239.jpg.c6dcec17a4f9312c90f9b8c4698763e8.jpg

Don't know what species, by the picture was taken at ulu muda forest reserve Malaysia (One of the best places ever)_MG_0523.jpg.767afbb229561e280057d87d372d7060.jpg

American Crocodile, Black river Jamaica. 

• 3 weeks later...

Broad tailed gecko

This little dude was in my garage in Sydney the other day. It's the first time I'd ever seen one of these. I had to look up what it was!

20200226_222153.jpg.ba786d0d54aebb9093ccd9c3b7a10c98.jpg

Awesome!  Let's look for more of these this weekend!

• 1 month later...
Towlersonsafari

Just a common toad, seen on our lockdown walk yesterday, by the river Nene

_1138963_DxO.jpg

Edited by Towlersonsafari

• 2 years later...

We are trying to get out more and find some lifer reptiles this summer.  First mission was a desert iguana which isn't that common in the Tucson area.  However, we found one right away in our target area:

Desert Iguana.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
MABU Photography

Some Crocodiles from the Lowe Zambezi are in Zambia, photographed during my Photo Safari in May 2022:

618651580_CrocodileSandbank.png.4e23c0e995cee7ad4f06ad65d86b735a.png

467702509_CrocodileseatHippo-2.png.57744951b12fe1a8bb4802f8b57af6dd.png

1397602362_CrocodileseatHippo.png.cc15a446b5dfa23be6d9dd6d5868a9e8.png