The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men … a somewhat turbulent safari to Kenya

twaffle

Absolutely outstanding trip report - I am especially enjoying the photographs.

You have set the bar incredibly high....so high in fact, I think I can relax and not even attempt a report of my trip in a weeks time ;)

Edited by Whyone?

I doubt game warden will let you off that easily!

I now feel the same about mobile camps; I don't think I'd want to stay in anything but ~ more intimate to ones' surroundiings; close to the ground,you hear and smell more of "Africa" and the amenities are much more apprciated. I had no idea I'd love it so much.

Who would've thought? Now I really can't wait for your trip report. Wish my wife was as convinced.

LOL, I went into this thinking " I can do anything for a week" but at the end of the week wanted more. You can teach an old dog!

Speaking of, life has intervened once again and we took our own cub (our labrador) to ER last night and she is being hospitalized for internal bleeding. Logging on to ST helps as I wait for blood work, vets, ultrasounds, and hopefully a proper and immediate remedy, prognosis, etc. We are very distressed as she is 11 and our child - no one wants to see their child/pet/family member suffer and this is breaking my heart. We were there 4 hours, thankfully I had ST on my phone.

SO I doubt a trip report will be this week. (There is a short one on ATR I wrote immediately for Moli and Noelle as they had none - very short)

Thanks for patience; there are so many great reports going on to keep everyone mesmerized!

Sorry to hear that Graceland, we also have an elderly dog who just has had a bad prognosis from liver disease. Very tough. Best wishes to you all.

Sorry to hear that Graceland, we also have an elderly dog who just has had a bad prognosis from liver disease. Very tough. Best wishes to you all.

I hope she's doing ok now @@graceland

Thank youall....She is still hospitalized awaiting tests and ultrasound...we went through this last March and thought it was beat. Thankfully, she waited for our return from Ruaha, as she would -being the stalwart labrador that she is - everytime I look @@ZaminOz's lab with the pith I have to laugh. Laughter still helps me the most!

Gracie (Graceland) is the neighborhood princess, so she will be receiving tons of hugs when she returns. As you know its just so hard on us humans.

@@twaffle, we'll get through this, and hoping you will also - nice to have an "animal friendly" ST to vent &cry....I am worried about kidneys as you with your elder's liver. Always something; but we love our fur babies and go to the ends of the earth for them.

More of your Trip Report will surely help pass the hours waiting!!

@@graceland hugs! Must have been a day for our fur children getting sick. We had to rush Sprocket bunny to the vets last night with a bloated tummy. He was fine a few hours later, thankfully. X

You have set the bar incredibly high....so high in fact, I think I can relax and not even attempt a report of my trip in a weeks time ;)

@@Whyone? I think you missed the word "until" between "trip" and "in"..... ?

Graceland, I know how you feel and I hope your dog recovers. We lost our 17 year old in August and we still hear him in and around the house.

Fantastic TR How can any one of us hope to compete with this? Note pad is ready as is the pen but nothing will compare = well done both, cant wait for the rest. Twaffle, that lens is obscene!

Edited by samburumags

@@Whyone? I think you missed the word "until" between "trip" and "in"..... ?

@@pault no, no, all necessary words there and the fact that @@Game Warden hasn't been chasing me, I take that as a 'Get out of doing a Trip Report free' card!

@@graceland hugs! Must have been a day for our fur children getting sick. We had to rush Sprocket bunny to the vets last night with a bloated tummy. He was fine a few hours later, thankfully. X

I've seen your bunny somewhere...here maybe? Thank goodness all is well. It's hard to get them to tell us what hurts!

Thanks for the hugs; I certainly need them..and I came to the right place. She is everything to us. Only place we go without her is Africa!

Graceland, I know how you feel and I hope your dog recovers. We lost our 17 year old in August and we still hear him in and around the house.

Oh Mags I am so sorry...it does make a house so empty. We went 3 years between losing our first lab and getting Gracie at 7 weeks...Too long but I really mourned her for so long. Gracie brought back the smiles.

Sorry to hear of all the furry friends upsets, probably most of us can relate in some way.

Twaffle the photography is beyond lovely and a great read to boot. Really, really good stuff guys.

Really enjoying your trip report T&P. Have wanted to visit Meru for a while. Almost did this year but flooding on the Thika Highway meant a change of plan.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments on the trip report but I would say that it isn't a competition and I really enjoy and appreciate all the trip reports and photos. I get pleasure from my own 'out of focus mistakes' as they bring back memories. In fact, I'll be posting a few coming up soon. I am not a photography snob, nor will I ever be. 

Now, no excuses for the rest of you to not to get cracking on those trip reports. No excuses!!!! :D

Edited by twaffle

@@graceland, sorry to hear about your baby. Hugs. We've got 5 dogs, and 3 of them are over 10 with various health issues, so i know what you are going through.

gallery_5545_889_151684.jpg

This is absolutely stunning! they look so beautiful.

Thanks Kitsafari, the vulturine guinea fowl are some of my favourite birds.

I have been rereading from the beginning - fabulous picture - great writing

Mobile camp looks wonderful

It is interesting to hear how places can vary so much with different visits

Edited by TonyQ

On 9/27/2013 at 12:52 PM, Kitsafari said:

@@graceland, sorry to hear about your baby. Hugs. We've got 5 dogs, and 3 of them are over 10 with various health issues, so i know what you are going through.

Since Twaffles report is in "edit mode", while Twaffle goes through her many photos, I just want to let youall know - as my "family of animal lovers"- Gracie had an endoscopy (as she did back in March when this began) & today they found a "bloody mass" in her stomach....she just went through surgery to have it removed. The vets were all ecstatic as it had been such a mystery for 6 mos. So we know the problem and it has been eliminated. Hoping this solves the extreme blood loss, and it is not cancer.( praying).....If so ,we can deal....it was the "not knowing" that was killing us. Thankfully Gracie loves us so much she waited until our return from Ruaha... I cannot imagne what would have happened with the sitters finding the blood. I will be living through all these terrific trip reports for years as I never want to leave her again.

Thanks all, I really mean it, for the hugs and concern. It has been a tough time and while sitting in the vets' office I read ST! So you are my shrinks for sure!

I sure do love everyone here for the support and words of encouragement......thank you.. truly.

And of course we all are waiting for more on "Unpredictable Safari..." Bring it on....a fascinating journey for us to read.

Edited by twaffle

@@graceland Yay! So glad they found the mass in the stomach. Such a relief. hope they will find the cause for the mass and be able to treat the cause! wish her a speedy and full recovery.

Edited by Kitsafari