Stripes of Wild India

michael-ibk

Dancing peacock is a symbol of approaching rains in our indian culture. ....the bird is gods own messenger as well as carrier. ..such a fabulous shot of male peacock .........

Btw the words such as "game drive ", "4x4" etc might not be famous in india ..it is common in east africa I believe. ..so what were famous words related to safari you learned from india. ..??

@@Atravelynn I'm following your Indian safari very closely with its wonderful writing and photos. The comment about wearing a common myna as a hat made me laugh, and from your photo I spot a definite trend!

Love the Myna hats!!! :D

Beautiful scenes of the barasinga in the water. I really like the owlet - and you did very well with the peacock displaying!

Tom Kellie

Also really glad to see the diversity of bird photos. I keep telling myself if we have bad luck with tigers, at least we'll have a couple of hundred new life birds :)

~ @@janzin

That's how I feel.

I'd more or less supposed that there might be superb tiger images...as there are.

Yet the highly welcome surprise has been the consistently high quality of the bird photos.

Such variety and so pleasingly photographed.

I hope that India will become a regular safari destination for you!

Tom K.

michael-ibk

@Michael-ibk Re the Bandar Log - we had a few discussions about which species and the consensus was it refers to the Rhesus macaque, ie. much bolder and sometimes a real pain. It's because of them (and the crows) that the Mukki breakfast place is indoors whereas the lack of macaques in the other two zones means it's safe to eat outside as the Langurs are, as yet, quite shy. What do you think?

@@Galago

I am leaning more towards the Langurs, simply because Macaques wouldn´t be able to carry a child through the trees like the Bandar Log did with Mowgli in that story where he was brought to the ancient city (where Kaa danced with them and nobody, not even Bagheera could resist the old python´s pull). Also there´s the fact that Langurs are much more numerous in Kanha and Pench (which was one connected area back then), we saw no Macaques in Kanha and just the one in Pench. Also, Bagheera talks of the Bandar-Log as the "Grey Apes" in "Kaa´s Hunting", and Mowgli mentions they "stand on their feet" the same way he does. So I say Langurs.

Love your Shikra photo btw!

Dancing peacock is a symbol of approaching rains in our indian culture. ....the bird is gods own messenger as well as carrier. ..such a fabulous shot of male peacock .........

Btw the words such as "game drive ", "4x4" etc might not be famous in india ..it is common in east africa I believe. ..so what were famous words related to safari you learned from india. ..??

Hm ... gypsy .... Aap ne baagh Dekha ... and most famous of all...TigerTigerTiger .... (nobody just says TIGER! when he sees one it´s always the triple TIGERTIGERTIGERLOOKHURRYDRIVETHERE!

Edited by michael-ibk

Tom Kellie

Hm ... gypsy .... Aap ne baagh Dekha ... and most famous of all...TigerTigerTiger .... (nobody just says TIGER! when he sees one it´s always the triple TIGERTIGERTIGERLOOKHURRYDRIVETHERE!

~ @@michael-ibk

哈哈哈! (= the sound of laughter)

Although I've never yet had the pleasure of going on an Indian safari, what you've written above sounds very true-to-life.

Reading it again on my computer screen makes me smile and chuckle.

Thank you!

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

These jungles are full of medicinal plants and trees....these trips are somewhat helping to promote medical tourism as well...

~ @@gagan

Do you mean that the guides make an effort to explain to the guests the pharmacological significance of various herbs, trees and flowers?

If that's indeed the case, that's an excellent practice. Plants need not be summarily overlooked, as they're fascinating in their own right.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

Speaking of shouts, we heard very few during tiger sightings. There was an annoying cell phone ring that went off a couple of times during the same sighting. I think that was Tadoba.

~ @@Atravelynn

Grr...

A mobile phone call during a sighting would be like a Skype call during a multi-course Parisian dinner.

Not the place or the time for it.

Hearing that would have brought out my inner tiger.

Tom K.

michael-ibk

For once we could enjoy a nice sleep-in and enjoyed the luxury of getting up at a lavish 06:00: :)

We had a very relaxed breakfast with lots of fresh fruit near the pool and then said Good Bye to Chitvan at about 08:45 - we were on our way to

Pench!

The drive was a bit more than four hours, through a very rural and beautiful landscape with not too much of traffic. Twice on the way we passed through the forest corridor linking Kanha with Pench. An important lifeline for Tigers (and other animals), it helps the youngsters spread out and is therefore vital for genetic diversity. The corridor, mostly three to four kilometres broad, IS accepted, collared Tigers from Kanha have shown up in Pench and vice versa. Recent developments are unfortunately not that encouraging from a wildlife perspective, the state wants to expand the NH-7, turning the narrow road into a double-lane highway that way. Tree felling has been halted by court for now but some damage has already been done, more than 4,800 trees are gone. Critics fear that this expansion could destroy the corridor.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/After-NGT-now-Maharashtra-stays-tree-felling-on-NH-7/articleshow/47218178.cms

gallery_19319_1247_5147331.jpg

Rural Madhya Pradesh

gallery_19319_1247_310918.jpg

Rajan at our one stop one the way, the Bison Highway Retreat. Yes, Mowgli is popular here.

gallery_19319_1247_11704279.jpg

There he is again. For a reason, Pench is the original setting of Kipling´s Jungle Books, places like the Seoni Hills (home of the wolves) or the Wainganga (where Sher Khan was killed) do actually exist here.

gallery_19319_1247_15277217.jpg

Getting ready.

gallery_19319_1247_4422645.jpg

Pench and us really started off on the wrong foot this afternoon. The loose forest looked interesting, but we were actually wondering why exactly people describe the park as exceptionally pretty. And we did see all the usual suspects in good numbers, but ... the usual suspects and nothing more. Tiger alarm once, so they claimed, but I heard nothing. And more and more on this drive, every one of us got a bit grumpy.

I saw a very funny cartoon on FB the other day about type of wildlife photographers, and Type 1 probably best describes the state we were in:

1.jpg

See all types here: http://www.greenhumour.com/2013/04/the-11-types-of-wildlife-photographers.html

So our reactions this day were probably something like this:

gallery_19319_1247_3282421.jpg

TreesTreesTreesTrees. Super.

gallery_19319_1247_1290839.jpg

Dead Sambar. Couldn´t the damn tiger have stayed around?

gallery_19319_1247_3295809.jpg

Yeah, Roller, we´ve had quite enough of you, come back in better light.

gallery_19319_1247_3340641.jpg

Rose-Ringed Parakeet? I want a Plumheaded, dammit!

gallery_19319_1247_14862800.jpg

Oriental Magpie Robin? Come on, we see hundreds of them every day.

gallery_19319_1247_1507823.jpg

Nilgai, ok, kinda cool, new mammal! (Spotted by Lynn!)

gallery_19319_1247_10183201.jpg

For a while this lifted our Type 1 mood.

gallery_108_1259_486907.jpg

But just for a while.

gallery_19319_1247_14944837.jpg

The novelty effect of Sambar wears off soon. And I refuse to take even one photo of these Chital buggers.

gallery_19319_1247_387397.jpg

Langurs ... can´t excite anymore, even with babies. Bandar-Log, really.

gallery_19319_1247_11807707.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_6838722.jpg

No, not even when munching away on Flame of the Forest Flowers.

gallery_19319_1247_2896935.jpg

What good is a waterhole without cool mammals, really?

gallery_19319_1247_538720.jpg

Couldn´t this Alexandrine Parakeet (new one!) have the decency to perch a bit closer?

gallery_19319_1247_231215.jpg

Too late, Little Green Bee-Eater, the light is gone.

gallery_108_1259_806855.jpg

White Throated Kingfisher. Seen dozens of them already.

gallery_108_1259_922278.jpg

Peacock? Puh-lease!!!

So when we left the park we all were "Pench sucks a bit. Boring. What I expected, people never seem to see anything here. Really a mistake that we are doing two nights. Maybe we can move on to Tadoba tomorrow morning?"

Pench, however, clearly heard what we were thinking and was offended. So much that it decided to go all out the next day and totally kick ass.

It did, wait for it.

hahahha great post, I think we've all suffered that grumpy safari-drive burnout at one time or another---"why didn't I go to (insert camp/park name here) there is nothing here but endless empty plains/forests I can't stand another impala, why didn't I listen to the folks on SafariTalk when they said that (insert camp/park ) was better!"

Which is why I anxiously await your revised impressions of Pench, since I am also planning two nights there! :unsure:

I felt your pain @Michael-ibk; maybe ONE or TWO times I thought....oh NO, are we stopping for yet another ____ (insert). Yet at the same time I say, so what -you ARE IN AFRICA! Flutter of the heart :)

But an hour later, excitment once again.

SO looking forward to what is to come!

Edited by graceland

Tom Kellie

I felt your pain @Michael-ibk; maybe ONE or TWO times I thought....oh NO, are we stopping for yet another ____ (insert). Yet at the same time I say, so what -you ARE IN AFRICA! Flutter of the heart :)

~ @@graceland

The following is a true story, as heard and observed in late January, 2015, in Buffalo Springs Nature Reserve, Kenya, opposite Samburu Nature Reserve:

We were on the return drive back to the lodge after a highly productive morning game drive.

Completely uncharacteristically and unlike any other game drive in the Samburu area, we spotted a Masai Mara-like thick cluster of specialized safari vehicles all gathered in one location, not far from the bridge over the Ewaso Nyiro river in a fairly barren place.

As we approached, my Chinese student and I asked each other what they might have spotted.

A cheetah? Lions? A resting leopard? An aardwolf? An aardvark? A pangolin?

Rolling up behind the overcrowded vehicles, which seemed to be an immense group, we distinctly heard an older southern American lady's exasperated voice.

Lordy, I think we saw them before, maybe back home”. Another voice answered “No, Mama, they're really rare African birds. C'mon take a look”.

My curiosity aroused, Anthony pulled forward to give us a decent camera position for the sighting, whatever it might be.

A flock of less than a dozen Helmeted Guineafowl.

Camera down, we went on our way.

That group must have been on their first-ever game drive.

Not even the local specialty, Vulterine Guineafowl, but their Helmeted cousins. Sheesh.

Sometimes a dove is just another dove...even in lovely Africa.

We had a lovely lunch.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Pench!

So when we left the park we all were "Pench sucks a bit. Boring. What I expected, people never seem to see anything here. Really a mistake that we are doing two nights. Maybe we can move on to Tadoba tomorrow morning?"

Pench, however, clearly heard what we were thinking and was offended. So much that it decided to go all out the next day and totally kick ass.

It did, wait for it.

~ @@michael-ibk

You've hooked me!

That's a great lead-in for the next Pench installment.

I may discreetly borrow it to use somewhere in my trip report.

Great suspense and expectation builder!

Your images are so pleasing, both as to technical qualities and as to aesthetic judgment.

All of this is firing up interest in India, not only in me but in others.

That's a reliable indicator of a high-quality trip report.

Many thanks, with great interest in the next installment.

Tom K.

~ @@graceland

The following is a true story, as heard and observed in late January, 2015, in Buffalo Springs Nature Reserve, Kenya, opposite Samburu Nature Reserve:

We were on the return drive back to the lodge after a highly productive morning game drive.

Completely uncharacteristically and unlike any other game drive in the Samburu area, we spotted a Masai Mara-like thick cluster of specialized safari vehicles all gathered in one location, not far from the bridge over the Ewaso Nyiro river in a fairly barren place.

As we approached, my Chinese student and I asked each other what they might have spotted.

Rolling up behind the overcrowded vehicles, which seemed to be an immense group, we distinctly heard an older southern American lady's exasperated voice.

Lordy, I think we saw them before, maybe back home”. Another voice answered “No, Mama, they're really rare African birds. C'mon take a look”.

My curiosity aroused, Anthony pulled forward to give us a decent camera position for the sighting, whatever it might be.

Not even the local specialty, Vulterine Guineafowl, but their Helmeted cousins. Sheesh.

Sometimes a dove is just another dove...even in lovely Africa.

We had a lovely lunch.

Tom K.

You may have heard the older southern woman shout" Lordy "- but if you listened closer, you would have herard : LAWDY, as in Lawwwwddyyy. :rolleyes: "Lordy" is a totally different culture!

Tom Kellie

You may have heard the older southern woman shout" Lordy "- but if you listened closer, you would have herard : LAWDY, as in Lawwwwddyyy. :rolleyes: "Lordy" is a totally different culture!

~ @@graceland

I stand corrected.

Thank you!

Tom K.

Atravelynn

Good question @@gagan!

We even managed to be understood when saying, "Aap ne baagh Dekha." But we startled some of the Hindi speakers who were not expecting those words to come from our mouths.

I'll add the dessert Gulab Jamun to the list of famous words in India.

----------------------

Those cartoons are hilarious!

And so is your approach to afternoon #1 in Pench. I remember I actually thought to myself, "Maybe people say Pench is so lovely because they like spaces between trees and there are lots of spaces between trees."

I recall Michael's exact words when our first outing ended: "I'll reserve judgment."

Edited by Atravelynn

Atravelynn

~ @@graceland

Sometimes a dove is just another dove...even in lovely Africa. Or some goofy looking bird. I got chickens at home. What else can ya show me?

We had a lovely lunch.

Tom K.

Atravelynn

Despite the lull in activity, Rajan remained on duty in every sense, including the role of photographer. He dutifully turned the camera sideways to get this portrait of Rose-Ringed Parakeet that had the audacity to not be Plumheaded. I consoled myself that at least I got the tail wagging of an Oriental Magpie. Or was this bird merely showing its disdain for our attitudes, or the afternoon as a whole, by mooning us?

gallery_108_1259_414713.jpggallery_108_1259_520196.jpg

Rose-ringed Parakeet Oriental Magpie Robin

Edited by Atravelynn

Good question @@gagan!

We even managed to be understood when saying, "Aap ne baagh Dekha." But we startled some of the Hindi speakers who were not expecting those words to come from our mouths.

I'll add the dessert Gulab Jamun to the list of famous words in India.

----------------------

Those cartoons are hilarious!

And so is your approach to afternoon #1 in Pench. I remember I actually thought to myself, "Maybe people say Pench is so lovely because they like spaces between trees and there are lots of spaces between trees."

I recall Michael's exact words when our first outing ended: "I'll reserve judgment."

Nice experience. ...tiger tiger tiger ..seems a code word...like That of an army " alpha to delta " :)

These jungles are full of medicinal plants and trees....these trips are somewhat helping to promote medical tourism as well...

~ @@gagan

Do you mean that the guides make an effort to explain to the guests the pharmacological significance of various herbs, trees and flowers?

If that's indeed the case, that's an excellent practice. Plants need not be summarily overlooked, as they're fascinating in their own right.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie ....some are dedicated enough to explain the biodiversity of indian jungles..many dont seem to bother much....if u go to india ..look for neem , bael fruit, sagon, indian gooseberry trees to name a few...try to eat them raw if possible to do... Edited by gagan

Hilarious!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who sometimes thought 'Yes, I know it's spotted deer. I've seen thousands of them!'

I take your point about the Bandar Log being Langurs. I saw quite a few macaques though, especially in Kanha.

@gagan I learned Chalo and also (but don't know how to spell it) 'argilay'. It seemed that it went like this: chalo, chalo......... tiger tiger tiger....... argilay argilay! So how do I spell it correctly please?

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie ....some are dedicated enough to explain the biodiversity of indian jungles..many dont seem to bother much....if u go to india ..look for neem , bael fruit, sagon, indian gooseberry trees to name a few...try to eat them raw if possible to do...

~ @@gagan

As plants are at the base of the food-chain, greater understanding of their value and uses would enhance the overall experience of a safari.

Without botanical diversity, a jungle would become the surface of Mars.

If safaris are exclusively predicated on large predator or rare grazer sightings, there may be substantial gaps without anything of note. If plants, birds and insects are also emphasized, a safari's value increases, with more to appreciate.

Thank you for telling me about the major endemic Indian food plants.

Tom K.

Hilarious!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who sometimes thought 'Yes, I know it's spotted deer. I've seen thousands of them!'

I take your point about the Bandar Log being Langurs. I saw quite a few macaques though, especially in Kanha.

@gagan I learned Chalo and also (but don't know how to spell it) 'argilay'. It seemed that it went like this: chalo, chalo......... tiger tiger tiger....... argilay argilay! So how do I spell it correctly please?

@@Galago

Chalo chalo means" lets move lets move"...bandar log ..means monkey group

Argilay I don't know. .I think it is dheere dheere which means " slowly slowly"..

Also... aapne bagh dekha means "did u see the tiger".....

Its fun when u go to another country and learn some words and try to figure it out...

Too funny, lucky "you weren't here to have fun" or you may have got really cranky! Maybe some of the wildlife sensed all the bad Karma coming from your little Jeep, they thought it best to stay away? Seriously, such phenomenal sightings, that huge Tiger in that little water-hole, thats the stuff dreams are made of.