Stripes of Wild India

michael-ibk

Atravelynn

"Just when I was trying to take pics of a Bee-Eater our park ranger told the driver to move on. When he saw my questioning look he just said "It´s Tiger time, Sir."

This is really funny. I don't even remember that exchange.

One more Rajakasha and his beloved tree.

gallery_108_1259_852484.jpg

Edited by Atravelynn

What a magnificent afternoon of game viewing, plum-headed parrot and 2 tigers.

And both tigers cooling off in the waterhole no less!

Amazing sightings! Now I'm really glad I added Pench :)

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-77317600-1432602837_thumb.jpg

~ @@michael-ibk

Those are Axis axis — Chital?

I've never seen them before. Enormous antlers!

The landscape is fascinating.

Why wasn't school ever as much fun as reading your trip report?

Perhaps because there's no examination awaiting!

Very nice photo of the Chital. Thank you for posting it.

Tom K.

Atravelynn

attachicon.gifgallery_19319_1247_16720499.jpg

~ @@michael-ibk

Those are Axis axis — Chital?

I've never seen them before. Enormous antlers! They grow 'em big in Pench!

The landscape is fascinating.

Why wasn't school ever as much fun as reading your trip report?

Perhaps because there's no examination awaiting! You are making premature assumptions. A post-trip-report exam is an idea worth pursuing. It will be all your fault if it happens.

Very nice photo of the Chital. Thank you for posting it.

Tom K.

Excellent, and probably one of the funniest TR's on here with michael's tiger madness!

The Limpin tigress is a beauty, and I've never been one to turn down a jackal!

Cuz' you're a Big Dog!

Edited by Atravelynn

Tom Kellie

~ @@Atravelynn

Are such immense antlers the norm?

Or are those in the photo on the larger side?

Tom K.

Atravelynn

~ @@Atravelynn

Are such immense antlers the norm?

Or are those in the photo on the larger side?

Tom K.

I believe these happened to be some big boys in the photo. Rutting can occur throughout the year so they guys may be at the peak of their antler cycle.

Ah the same lovely male. He was just enormous! I was told he is eight years old. And I too saw him in what I think is the same waterhole at 'tiger time'!

And weird about the lack of bottled water in the tented area because those of us in the cheap seats had plenty -haha! I agree it is very conveniently located, but really not my cup of tea at all - too big and impersonal.

post-48882-0-46197900-1432669481_thumb.jpg

post-48882-0-80314700-1432669507_thumb.jpg

What a beauty! I would have given anything to be there just that ONE day hanging with the tiger.

Great photos; Just love the tiger in the water; a bit of spa time to be enjoyed now by all....

Tom Kellie

I believe these happened to be some big boys in the photo. Rutting can occur throughout the year so they guys may be at the peak of their antler cycle.

~ @@Atravelynn

That helps a lot. Thank you for explaining that to me.

I can't recall ever having seen such exceptionally large antler racks on any other species.

Until I read several books about India last year, I'd never before heard of Chittal.

The ‘Stripes of Wild India’ trip report has been an education for me.

One suspects that as a direct consequence of the trip report, several India safaris will be planned by Safaritalk members and visitors.

Many Thanks!

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-68123400-1432683400_thumb.jpg

~ @@Galago

That's one terrific tiger image!

The mirrored tiger on the water surface is especially pleasing.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Tom K.

Atravelynn

~ @@Atravelynn

That helps a lot. Thank you for explaining that to me.

I can't recall ever having seen such exceptionally large antler racks on any other species.

Until I read several books about India last year, I'd never before heard of Chittal.

The ‘Stripes of Wild India’ trip report has been an education for me.

One suspects (more than suspect--I've been in contact with "bookers" through the PM feature) that as a direct consequence (But I'm sure there were other factors beyond Stripes that contributed.) of the trip report, several India safaris will be planned by Safaritalk members and visitors.

Many Thanks!

Tom K.

On this topic, Rajan said a woman in the inner circle of the Obama administration contacted WWI because she had read my previous trip reports and said if it was safe for a woman like me to travel alone with them, then she'd feel safe. And she had more security concerns than the average person due to her sensitive job. Rajan thought this lady was a friend of mine since she referred to my name (atravelynn, not my real name) and the reports I had done. But I definitely don't know her. Maybe we had corresponded by email at some point and I never knew her true identity. Rajan said he has since seen her on TV with President Obama getting in and out of airplanes and such. I'm not giving her name and Rajan did not even recall her last name. I also assume there was more vetting done of WWI than just an atravelynn report on tigers or wild asses in Gujarat.

Edited by Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Final Morning at Pench, Drive #4

Mornings were a little busier than afternoons, as 34 cars were allowed in the am and 25 in the pm.

We briefly saw the shy 8-9 year old tigress, Sharima in the forest.

gallery_19319_1247_7311418.jpg

Shy Sharima, tigress in Pench

Later we arrived to join many of those 34 cars watching 3 two and a half year old male cubs.

This photo documents there were 3 cubs present.

gallery_108_1259_760505.jpg

The light was perfect, but the cubs did not pose pretty for very long after we arrived on the scene. Our angle was not the best due to foliage and branches, and of course the other vehicles in front of us. But we did our best to capture images of these handsome boys. Despite tricky conditions, Rajan said this was his favorite Pench sighting.

gallery_19319_1247_2476134.jpg

Two of three brothers, age approximately 2 and a half

Even at two and a half there remains a certain mischievous, youthfulness in the eyes.

gallery_19319_1247_13839213.jpg

One of 3 cubs, age 2.5 in Pench

Two of three brothers, age approximately 2 and a half

One cub remained and cooperated from behind the branches.

gallery_19319_1247_958089.jpg

gallery_108_1259_910060.jpg

gallery_108_1259_401292.jpg

We spectators did not excite him.

gallery_19319_1247_3337706.jpg

gallery_108_1259_910485.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_3269599.jpg

Then he tired of us completely and entered the jungle to join his brothers. His every move from yawn to stroll caused a wave of excitement in the Gypsies.

gallery_19319_1247_18085314.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_9806123.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_20280686.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_16341974.jpg

Nice pause.

gallery_19319_1247_15063457.jpg

Barely visible.

gallery_19319_1247_680344.jpg

There is a tiger visible

Seven sightings of six tigers in four drives is extremely lucky in Pench. It is also notable what we did not see--leopard or dhole (wild dog). In the past leopard sightings had been more frequent in Pench, as were wild dog. But as the tiger population has increased, those other predators are not seen as often. Competition with tigers drives the numbers down for leopards and wild dogs. Also they are pushed out of the prime habitat in the core areas of the park and into the buffer zones as more tigers means more tiger territory.

Edited by Atravelynn

Atravelynn

gallery_19319_1247_3039412.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_13305106.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_7551841.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_991477.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_4995764.jpg

Pench Scenery

At our lunch stop, when not being stalked by an angry Rhesus Macaque, we managed some bird photos.

med_gallery_108_1259_913864.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_1398837.jpg

Green bee eaters

gallery_108_1259_6447.jpggallery_19319_1247_2307089.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_3182830.jpg

Rose-ringed Parakeets

gallery_108_1259_191364.jpg

Brahminy Starling

gallery_19319_1247_8373381.jpg

Rose-ringed Parakeets and Brahminy Starling, a popular lunch spot for the birds, too

Sharing the baby

gallery_19319_1247_5266158.jpg

gallery_108_1259_1006392.jpg

Big tail for a little guy

gallery_108_1259_732660.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_2202926.jpg

gallery_108_1259_121785.jpg

gallery_108_1259_112030.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_5930498.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_5823072.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_3317366.jpg

gallery_108_1259_709204.jpg

gallery_108_1259_213839.jpg

gallery_108_1259_508830.jpg

gallery_108_1259_115324.jpg

gallery_108_1259_562519.jpg

gallery_108_1259_233710.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_1155383.jpg

Despite any initial misgivings, Pench had been very productive.

Edited by Atravelynn

Just catching up again now with this brilliant report.

Glad you ended up having such a productive time in Pench. We didn't have a single tiger sighting in 3 nts when we went.

The tiger and the tree - fascinating!

And loved the tigers in the waterholes.

What brilliant sightings.

The picture of the tiger in the water - magnificent. And wonderful to see the brothers. I think you cannot complain about Pench!

The langur with the babies, and the birds - excellent. And you do show the beauty of Pench itself.

@Atravelynn If your trip reports are good enough to guide our choice of trips, I am sure they are good enough for the Obama administration!

Tom Kellie

(more than suspect--I've been in contact with "bookers" through the PM feature) that as a direct consequence (But I'm sure there were other factors beyond Stripes that contributed.)

On this topic, Rajan said a woman in the inner circle of the Obama administration contacted WWI because she had read my previous trip reports and said if it was safe for a woman like me to travel alone with them, then she'd feel safe. And she had more security concerns than the average person due to her sensitive job. Rajan thought this lady was a friend of mine since she referred to my name (atravelynn, not my real name) and the reports I had done. But I definitely don't know her. Maybe we had corresponded by email at some point and I never knew her true identity. Rajan said he has since seen her on TV with President Obama getting in and out of airplanes and such. I'm not giving her name and Rajan did not even recall her last name. I also assume there was more vetting done of WWI than just an atravelynn report on tigers or wild asses in Gujarat.

~ @@Atravelynn

My lifelong impression has been that there's a substantial and thriving population of wild asses in Washington, D.C.

Sadly, they've never been listed as being endangered.

Big KUDOS on the far-reaching effects of your superb trip report!

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-74535600-1432720067_thumb.jpg

~ @@Atravelynn

A botanical species question, if you don't mind.

This flowering tree has featured in a number of your bird photos.

I've never visited India, thus highly suspect my own conjectures about any endemic species there.

Is the tree possibly Butea monosperma, or Palash?

It's certainly much more vibrant than any trees where I live.

Tom K.

post-49296-0-74535600-1432720067_thumb.jpg

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-71431300-1432720410_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-91979500-1432720423_thumb.jpg

~ @@Atravelynn

I'd be remiss if I neglected to tell you that these two images are terrific!

Very evocative of a part of our planet wholly unlike anywhere else.

Your trip report has been a chest full of jewels, pearls and gold.

More than enough for anyone to enjoy.

Tom K.

post-49296-0-71431300-1432720410_thumb.jpg

post-49296-0-91979500-1432720423_thumb.jpg

Atravelynn

(more than suspect--I've been in contact with "bookers" through the PM feature) that as a direct consequence (But I'm sure there were other factors beyond Stripes that contributed.)

~ @@Atravelynn

My lifelong impression has been that there's a substantial and thriving population of wild asses in Washington, D.C.

Sadly, they've never been listed as being endangered. This was the perfect setup wasn't it? It just took a clever mind to issue the punchline.

Big KUDOS on the far-reaching effects of your superb trip report!

Tom K.

Atravelynn

attachicon.gifgallery_108_1259_233710.jpg attachicon.gifgallery_19319_1247_1155383.jpg

~ @@Atravelynn

I'd be remiss if I neglected to tell you that these two images are terrific!

Very evocative of a part of our planet wholly unlike anywhere else.

Your trip report has been a chest full of jewels, pearls and gold.

More than enough for anyone to enjoy.

Tom K.

Thanks. Such diversity in one place. And not that big of a place. Pench is about a third the size of Kanha.

michael-ibk

@@Tom Kellie

It´s indeed Butea monosperma, the "Flame of the Forest" tree.

@@Galago

Ah the same lovely male. He was just enormous! I was told he is eight years old.

Yes, we were also told betwwen eight and nine. Glad you saw him as well!

We briefly saw the shy 8-9 year old tigress, Sharima in the forest.

@@Atravelynn

My notes have her as "Sharmelle" which apparently means "The Shy One" - so the pic is quite befitting her name. :)

It is also notable what we did not see--leopard or dhole (wild dog).

Though we met other guests on both morning drives who had seen Dhole very close by - so they definitely are around, we just missed them.

For me, Pench was the surprise highlight of the trip - seven(!) Tiger sightings, including almost private ones, and I just loved the open areas, so very beautiful. In all fairness to the other parks, I do believe we were exceptionally lucky with Tigers. Apparently there are some power struggles going on right now and as a result some animals are moving around more than is normal. But even so, Pench has all the right ingredients for Tiger sightings - good visibility even in the forest, a few (not too many) waterholes, the intense heat and abundant prey base - Pench has the hightest Chital density of all India after all.

Three more of our main stars, Langdi, Rajakasha & the Brothers:

gallery_19319_1247_1674195.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_16337616.jpg

gallery_19319_1247_1712059.jpg

And just to show how close you get to the cats in these small open gypsies:

gallery_19319_1247_12154801.jpg

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie

It´s indeed Butea monosperma, the "Flame of the Forest" tree.

~ @@michael-ibk

Many thanks for the confirmation.

Tom K.

Michael and Lynn - stunning photos and what a record of sightings! It must be up there with a 'best ever' for Pench (and turning somewhat green with envy here.) We did get sightings each day but, apart from the one I posted yesterday, they were fleeting. However, we did get our one and only sighting of jungle cat.

Atravelynn

Michael and Lynn - stunning photos and what a record of sightings! It must be up there with a 'best ever' for Pench (and turning somewhat green with envy here.) We did get sightings each day but, apart from the one I posted yesterday, they were fleeting. However, we did get our one and only sighting of jungle cat.

Lose out on some tigers, but take the jungle cat. It all adds up.