Serengeti finally done right! the Asilia way, with "the big cats that roam" the Namiri Plains; Cheetah on demand and friends bitten by that Africa bug

madaboutcheetah

The male last but one " smell my breath" ! :)

Really like the first photo in post #74, with the lioness carrying (I think) the leg.

@@madaboutcheetah

the dracula landing pictures are pure class. What were the settings, if i may ask?

Asante sana rafiki....lovely serengeti pics...

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot for all the kind comments - as I said before, you guys are way too kind!!!

Just checked the settings for the Vulture landing shots - 500mm; ISO 400, F4; SS - 1/8000 sec. Not sure why I bumped it up that high - I don't think I had a most stable platform at that point.

madaboutcheetah

Nikon D4

Hmmm thats why the colour rendering of the sensor is superb...

@@madaboutcheetah Actually Hari, i think you have untagged RGB files they should be sRGB.

madaboutcheetah

Not sure, Geoff - I edit in LR and under file info it does say sRGB ...... Will look into it this evening again.

Thanks a lot for all the kind comments - as I said before, you guys are way too kind!!!

Just checked the settings for the Vulture landing shots - 500mm; ISO 400, F4; SS - 1/8000 sec. Not sure why I bumped it up that high - I don't think I had a most stable platform at that point.

@@madaboutcheetah

1/8000 does seems rather excessive . were you on aperture priority?

madaboutcheetah

Yes AP in general. I think I went Shutter priority for a few - I agree, pretty excessive. I think I did it in a rush ..... there were vultures flying everywhere and pumped it up when a couple went blurry.

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

This next installment features a very young male that seemed to be lost and was wandering about - Not sure what the story was ....... Isolated from Mum and siblings (if there were any) or from his coalition mates (looks too young for that) ...... anyways, am going to have to send pictures to the Serengeti Cheetah project to find out more. We left him to his own devices .....

post-308-0-12039500-1431241271_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-50199500-1431241398_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-82337900-1431241512_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-66825800-1431241624_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-37911700-1431241783_thumb.jpg

michael-ibk

Did you get an age estimate Hari?

madaboutcheetah

Will ask the Serengeti project, Michael ... I'm sure he's in their database. He looks close on 1 year old to me ..... Way too young to be on his own.

madaboutcheetah

This report is stuck in neutral as I've been busy over with weekend and swamped with work this week ........ Here's a quick image I edited of Abigale and one of her cubs. More to come later this week when i get editing ;)

post-308-0-98323500-1431437788_thumb.jpg

Tom Kellie

This report is stuck in neutral as I've been busy over with weekend and swamped with work this week ........ Here's a quick image I edited of Abigale and one of her cubs. More to come later this week when i get editing ;)

post-49296-0-03467600-1431450588_thumb.jpg

~ @madaboutcheetah:

TERRIFIC!

In fact, super-super-super-TERRIFIC!

Were I to see dozens of other cheetah portraits for months to come, this one would remain the gold standard for quality.

The butter-soft bokeh looks so lovely on my computer screen.

Lighting, focus, composition — to my taste, SUPERB!

Thanks also for the Daily Telegraph link. The author describes Namiri as “pioneering”.

If so, that's certainly “pioneering” in style!

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

attachicon.gifpost-308-0-98323500-1431437788.jpg

~ @madaboutcheetah:

TERRIFIC!

In fact, super-super-super-TERRIFIC!

Were I to see dozens of other cheetah portraits for months to come, this one would remain the gold standard for quality.

The butter-soft bokeh looks so lovely on my computer screen.

Lighting, focus, composition — to my taste, SUPERB!

Thanks also for the Daily Telegraph link. The author describes Namiri as “pioneering”.

If so, that's certainly “pioneering” in style!

Tom K.

+ 100%. Absolutely top shelf magnificent Hari.

Atravelynn

Cheetah on demand is right. Lions on demand too. You were perfectly aligned for the vulture landing.

I wondered about the change in light in your cheetah shots too. You were on top of conditions and produced excellent images!

Edited by Atravelynn

I hope you're able to get some info about the lone male. It was gratifying for me to be able to contact the Mara Meru Cheetah Project when I had questions about IDs (thanks again for the help there).

Even if this TR is in neutral, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

Atravelynn

Good thing I made a booking months ago. It may fill up fast.

Take your time before resuming. There is plenty here to "chew on" in your absence.

madaboutcheetah

Super - what month are you visiting, Lynn?

Will def get back to editing this weekend.....

Atravelynn

Super - what month are you visiting, Lynn?

Will def get back to editing this weekend.....

March 2016.

madaboutcheetah

So the young male in post #88 might be one of Asti's sons is what I heard from Dennis of the "serengeti cheetah Project" - have sent him more details - time, location etc etc., and he will revert with the "whole story" .

For the record, I've no clue who "Asti" is .....