Leopard Hills, Sabi Sands, South Africa — October, 2015

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie

Also I have enjoyed your photos of the suite. Truly beautiful and uxurious ... although the reason why one would need such a luxury when on a safari is still a mystery to me.

Reading now many reports mostly from private reserves, and googling about those particular lodges and camps, they all are offering similar level of luxury :o ... and the price tag that accompanies it :(.

~ @@xelas

Thank you for your kind comments about the accommodations.

While taking those images it seemed essential to include as many features as possible to give a sense of the interior design.

I especially liked the ample lighting, which made it comfortable to read at any time of day.

I agree with you that they are beautiful. Much care has been taken to maintain the amenities in fine condition.

I hope that you've also found plant and animal images of interest, as there are photos in the trip report of them around the lodge.

Tom K.

We encounter a dark warthog quartet,

Grazing in early evening light.

They're clearly strong and powerful, and yet,

They gambol with winsome delight.

post-49296-0-15109500-1458492871_thumb.jpg

Warthogs Are Beautiful!

post-49296-0-35841900-1458493223_thumb.jpg

Grass and Warthog

post-49296-0-49629500-1458494020_thumb.jpg

Trotting on the Track

post-49296-0-53377800-1458494558_thumb.jpg

Sabi Sands Warthog

post-49296-0-23040200-1458495130_thumb.jpg

Warthog Quartet

This small warthog group was eating,

Small morsels beside the dusty track.

Indifferent to our meeting,

They never once bothered to look back.

post-49296-0-98860000-1458530407_thumb.jpg

Unruffled by Nearby Photographers

post-49296-0-49343500-1458530440_thumb.jpg

Occasionally You Do, In Fact, Walk Alone

post-49296-0-43795400-1458530478_thumb.jpg

Preparing to Off-road

post-49296-0-85234100-1458530509_thumb.jpg

Powerfully Built

post-49296-0-49799900-1458530545_thumb.jpg

Bristled Mane

post-49296-0-04915900-1458530579_thumb.jpg

Patterned Flanks

post-49296-0-39251100-1458530613_thumb.jpg

Warthog Group

I love this thread

With the poem & picture

Safaritalk's blessed

To have you as a fixture

OK - I should have left the poetry to you! I love this thread between the detailed pics and the poems they have brought a smile to my face or a giggle. Thank you so much for sharing!!

There's no single approach to eating, is there?

With pecking, gnawing, swilling and crunching.

Warthogs seem to pause to eat most anywhere,

Kneeling down to prepare for good munching.

post-49296-0-02446800-1458533340_thumb.jpg

Comb-over

post-49296-0-59415000-1458533375_thumb.jpg

Eating Position

post-49296-0-89692300-1458533425_thumb.jpg

Nostrils to the Soil

post-49296-0-15912400-1458533463_thumb.jpg

Complex Tuskage

post-49296-0-47417800-1458533499_thumb.jpg

Warthog Minuet

I love this thread

With the poem & picture

Safaritalk's blessed

To have you as a fixture

OK - I should have left the poetry to you! I love this thread between the detailed pics and the poems they have brought a smile to my face or a giggle. Thank you so much for sharing!!

~ @@Neeners815

TERRIFIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've honored this trip report by your very kind verse.

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting and encouraging me with such a deftly worded quatrain.

I'm flattered by what you've written and by how you've expressed it.

Tom K.

This golden-breasted bunting was between,

Several leafy branches in the shade.

One of the most colorful birds I'd seen,

With bright plumage as if out on parade.

post-49296-0-68678900-1458535643_thumb.jpg

Golden-breasted Bunting

post-49296-0-10415900-1458535674_thumb.jpg

Perching Emberiza flaviventris

@@Tom Kellie, now that @@deano mentions it, you are looking pretty sharp in that photo. Enjoying it all, wildlife, plants, soft furnishings, and of course the poetry, reference to the Warthog "comb-over" made me smile. Every time I now look at a bloke with a comb-over, I'll think of a Warthog.

Off to the side of the track three dagga boys,

Quietly grazing, heads down, intent on their task.

Such massive animals yet so little noise,

With close range photography — what more might one ask?

post-49296-0-03679800-1458604187_thumb.jpg

Study in Muscle Mass

post-49296-0-81653400-1458604321_thumb.jpg

Open-Billed Oxpeckers

post-49296-0-17705300-1458604428_thumb.jpg

Mud-caked Buffalo Hide

post-49296-0-71504100-1458604505_thumb.jpg

Male Buffalo Grazing

post-49296-0-06845600-1458604622_thumb.jpg

Economy of Form

post-49296-0-74696300-1458604720_thumb.jpg

Not a Viking

post-49296-0-53848000-1458604825_thumb.jpg

Buffalo Boss

@@Tom Kellie, now that @@deano mentions it, you are looking pretty sharp in that photo. Enjoying it all, wildlife, plants, soft furnishings, and of course the poetry, reference to the Warthog "comb-over" made me smile. Every time I now look at a bloke with a comb-over, I'll think of a Warthog.

~ @@elefromoz

Thank you...thank you so much!

I'd never thought much about how I dress on safari, as I've more or less dressed in the same style for fifty years!

In the classroom I wear a tie and cuffed slacks. On safari the necktie goes but otherwise no change.

Button-down shirts, soft-leather belts, casual slip-on shoes — I'm good to go...as long as the safari vest is on, loaded with various amenities.

I'm not much of one for hats, sunglasses or jackets. No rings, bracelets, tattoos, necklaces or wristwatches.

As to the comb-over warthog, it struck me as looking rather stylish.

Who says that a warthog can't be dapper, as circumstances warrant?

Thank you so much for taking time to visit this trip report!

Tom K.

A male steenbok — not very far away!

What luck! It doesn't seem to want to run.

Such steenbok photography makes my day,

This game drive is turning out to be fun!

post-49296-0-31079600-1458614591_thumb.jpg

Male Steenbok

post-49296-0-13792800-1458614632_thumb.jpg

Vigilant Glance

post-49296-0-77956000-1458614670_thumb.jpg

Steenbok Haunches

post-49296-0-51517400-1458614703_thumb.jpg

Unceasing Vigilance Extends Life

post-49296-0-44678200-1458614737_thumb.jpg

Raphicerus campestris

post-49296-0-47500000-1458614775_thumb.jpg

Small Paired Horns

post-49296-0-29557900-1458614809_thumb.jpg

Steenbok in Sabi Sands

post-49296-0-68974900-1458614899_thumb.jpg

Sleek Pelage

post-49296-0-23697200-1458614933_thumb.jpg

Seeking Scent Information

fictionauthor

@@Tom Kellie enjoying this delightful trip report - everything: the details, your ranger and tracker, and of course, all the wildlife. Especially loved the hyena cubs and mother, leopards, rhino and of course the wild dogs. You have a great eye and your joy as it comes through your words and text is infectious! The love of safari is evident throughout.

Thank you for putting in the long hours to upload, it is much appreciated.

@@Tom Kellie i fear that your golden-breasted bunting is in fact a cinnamon-breasted bunting. It's all in the name: goldens are bright yellow, cinnamons a rusty orange!!

~ @@Tdgraves

Thank you!

Were it possible to go back and insert the correction, I'd do so immediately.

As it is, your kindly worded, gentle correction will stand.

I especially appreciate your additional clarification.

Now it's clear why yours truly would never dare to attempt a “2016 Big Year”. Doing so would provide a field day for experts to correct my sloppy identifications!

I'm delighted to know that you happened to look at this trip report.

With Apologies and Appreciation,

Tom K.

Ah, yes, but I have made many mistakes in my "big years", mainly corrected by @@egilio - that is how we learn!

Peter Connan

@@Tom Kellie i fear that your golden-breasted bunting is in fact a cinnamon-breasted bunting. It's all in the name: goldens are bright yellow, cinnamons a rusty orange!!

@@Tdgraves, I respectfully think @@Tom Kellie 's ID may actually be correct.

According to my Sappi guide, the white wing-bars are diagnostic, and females and particularly immatures may be much duller.

Also, the habitat seems more correct for Golden-breasted, although that's seldom a guarantee.

I therefore suspect this is an immature Golden-breasted?

Edited by Peter Connan

I agree with Peter on this one. But I've never seen a golden breasted bunting with a chest that dark, I would have been scratching my head over that one a few times! There is some variation in the brightness of the breast in gold breasted bunting, but cinnamon breasted buntings never have the white wing bars Peter mentions.

See, I told you I was often wrong ☹

~ @@Peter Connan, @@egilio, @@Tdgraves

You're all so nice!

These small birds, photographed at a distance in early evening, with my less than stellar camera technique — who could make out much of anything?

I'm so flattered that @@egilio visited this trip report. I've long appreciated his expertise in Safaritalk but never imagined that he'd do me the honor of commenting in my trip report.

The recent Big Year 2016 postings of @@Peter Connan have set the bar very high for bird photography. I need to plan another safari so as to be able to practice in the field.

This trip report would never have happened without @@Tdgraves kind encouragement and wonderful trip report last year. Not to mention her superb bird and big cat photography.

Three very different individuals, yet all three part of what makes Safaritalk such a rich tapestry of perspectives and insights, on birds, mammals, plants, reptiles, insects and life in Africa.

I'm so grateful to @@Game Warden for being our Odin, our Zeus, watching over the discussions and posts to ensure that a variety of views are heard.

As all three of you know, I'm often seriously mistaken in my naive, under-informed views. Yet kind, patient Safaritalk members bear with me as I gradually develop understanding.

I recently told @@wilddog that I'm a slow learner. That's true. All of my life I've read slowly, thought slowly and learned slowly.

Thus on Safaritalk it's been a step-by-step process, growing from rank amateur safari tourist to green wildlife conservation supporter.

Today in another context @@twaffle wrote that she thought everything would be alright.

I feel likewise.

Thank you three for visiting this trip report. South Africa's buntings are seldom in the limelight in Safaritalk, but certainly deserved a few moments of attention.

With Appreciation to All Three of You,

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie enjoying this delightful trip report - everything: the details, your ranger and tracker, and of course, all the wildlife. Especially loved the hyena cubs and mother, leopards, rhino and of course the wild dogs. You have a great eye and your joy as it comes through your words and text is infectious! The love of safari is evident throughout.

Thank you for putting in the long hours to upload, it is much appreciated.

~ @@fictionauthor

Your most kind encouragement is rainfall in a parched desert. Thank you so much!

Over the past many weeks I've been moving toward letting this trip report be my final effort.

It has seemed that there was fairly limited interest, especially with such a wealth of other trip reports of superb quality on offer.

It's apparent that my “still life” approach to safari photography has a very limited appeal.

Hence I've thought it might be best to let others present their safari experiences, as they're more likely to have a broad appeal.

What you've very kindly written is so nice. I'm truly moved.

Thank you!

Tom K.

fictionauthor

@@Tom Kellie Just because there are other wonderful TRs doesn't mean that each one is not appreciated! Every traveler has a different perspective and it's a joy to see them all. If I may offer up a hard-learned lesson, comparing ourselves to others is never a road to happiness.

You mentioned how difficult the uploads are for you, so that's quite understandable if you need a break. But please don't assume how much interest there is based on clicks because there will always be more viewers than clicks. :)

@@Tom Kellie I would like to echo @@fictionauthor in her comments.

I have enjoyed my trips to Africa taken via your reports - both the images and the writing have increased my understanding and have inspired me to commit to some efforts of my own. I can see how well read your reports are but also understand how sometimes the efforts spent producing them can feel under appreciated. This must be magnified given the challenges you face at times getting the reports out to the audience.

I have found the advice given by @@Game Warden to all new trip reporters very helpful - take it gently, break it into small chunks and don't try and finish it all at once if I can paraphrase.

I for one would be saddend if this was to be your final report (and I will confess to my guilty secret - I do not access the video segments as I find the still images much more fascinating in their detail and sense of a moment captured).

Take care.

@@Tdgraves it seems that @@Peter Connan has got in ahead of me but yes @@Tom Kellie is absolutely right about the golden-breasted bunting, I think you’ve been fooled by the fact that the bird is not in full sun if it was the breast would be much more obviously yellow in colour, but it is a golden yellow and can be quite dark. It may also be the case that it is a young bird or combination of these two factores. The cinnamon aside from being very cinnamon brown in colour does not have the white wing bars that the golden-breasted has and that the bird in the photos quite clearly has. Also this bird has a yellow chin which the golden-breasted has whereas the cinnamon has a black chin and two white stripes below the eye and it does not have a white collar. Although it has an extra white stripe on the cheek the white on the head of the cinnamon-breasted is less prominent than on the golden-breasted. It can only be a golden-breasted, the one other bird that is pretty similar is Cabani’s bunting but this species does not occur in South Africa and it does not have the white stripe on the cheek.

I suggest having a look at this website Stellenbosch Birds there are two photos of what are clearly the exact same pair of golden-breasted buntings in the first photo the breast of the male appears darker and orangeier than in the second photo where it is very bright yellow this is clearly an effect of the light. The sun is far stronger in the second picture making the breast appear less golden and a much brighter lemon yellow. In the next photo of a bird that is not in full sun at all the breast really appears quite dark orange, so the colour of the breast of these birds clearly varies a bit and how bright yellow it appears depends on whether the bird is in sun or in the shade.

Edited by inyathi

@@Tom Kellie I have to admit that I am way behind with reading trip reports and hope to catch up over the weekend. However, just seeing some of the comments on this page alone, I would like to say something that I have always said so at the risk of repeating myself … ALL trip reports and photos have value and are interesting. I hate the thought that anyone, new or old, experienced or on their first safari, would feel that their offering is less than someone else's. That is my opinion and despite the fact that I haven't read all the current ones, I will get there eventually.

Thanks for this visual treat across few of the areas I've never been to but do hope to cover one day. And please do keep them coming. I like the way you take viewer through not just the wild life but the happenings, the creatures both small and big, flowers and camp, food and drinks. Though I am not particularly fond of food in beautifully laid plates and artistically prepared, I can appreciate the same in images :-))