Leopard Hills, Sabi Sands, South Africa — October, 2015

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie, enjoyed the "tree and track" scenes in #572, so pretty, if I could, I would enjoy walking along that sandy, winding, undulating track under those beautiful trees ( too bad about the Leopards). I too am a tree lover.

~ @@elefromoz

Thank you for letting me know that you share my love for large, spreading trees.

They're islands of life, aren't they? Not only birds, but squirrels, lizards, snakes, beetles and assorted invertebrates call them home.

I'm rather partial to game drives which pass near trees, even if that might reduce overall game visibility.

Of course, I'm aware that leopards share our affinity for trees!

Walking down such lovely tree-lined tracks would be such a joy!

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

It's said that strong fences good neighbors make,

If so, then Sabi Sands neighbors must be the best,

This tall fence was made for the wildlife's sake,

It's very carefully patrolled at their behest.

post-49296-0-44179500-1459266704_thumb.jpg

Sabi Sands Perimeter Fence

With sunset approaching the light is low,

A lone elephant in a copse nearby.

Why solitary, we really don't know,

It remains by itself — a little shy?

post-49296-0-65359000-1459268370_thumb.jpg

Elephant in a Copse

michael-ibk

Really like the "road" pics, Tom, and the Duiker shots as well. Shows their shy nature very well.

A Cheetah Hunt

~ The final afternoon game drive was mostly spent in a remote corner of Sabi Sands, following up on reports of a cheetah passing through the area. Two other vehicles from other lodges were coordinating with our tracker and ranger in the effort, looking for tracks in other areas. Calls back and forth for a couple of hours repeated the word ‘negative’ as there seemed to be no reliably recent cheetah spoor. At one point Congive, the tracker, and Hugo, the ranger, thought that they saw evidence of a cheetah having passed nearby, but the trail was lost. With passing time and a lowering Sun, it was understandable that the other two vehicles called off the chase in order to park for sundowners before heading back to their respective lodges and dinner. We guests were asked if we’d agree to extending the hunt a bit longer, going down a fortified perimeter fence in a final push to seek any sign that the rumored cheetah had, in fact, passed through that sector. Being a fairly intrepid bunch, we heartily agreed, opting for a continued search ‘just in case’, however improbable that might be. Accordingly, we drove down the track by the Sabi Sands perimeter fence for several minutes before turning inward toward a lightly forested area. A lone elephant was browsing in a copse. Aside from that, no tracks, no wildlife, and increasingly limited light.

A turn towards a flat area surrounded by trees was intended to be the turn-around point after which we’d head back in search of a postponed sundowner spot. The tree growth accentuated the coming darkness such that details remained visible but only slightly. I was seated in the rear of the open-top safari vehicle, with a row to myself. As it happened, I was looking up towards the left where Congive, was seated. I noticed him tense up and lean forward. Without knowing why I instinctively raised the camera up, which in retrospect was one of the best decisions I ever made during any game drive. Suddenly Congive said “There!” pointing toward a wooded area. I began pushing the shutter button, completely uncertain of what I might be photographing. I shoot 100% Manual mode, thus all camera settings must be set by me. In the frantic effort to visually track and photograph whatever it was that was moving from left to right, I neglected to adjust the camera settings to fit the situation. Therefore all images were far less than what they might have been, had I made the effort to adjust the camera settings. As it was, the EOS 1D X camera had the EF 200mm f/2.8L II telephoto lens on it, set at ISO 125, f/2.8, and 1/80 sec. shutter speed. It was 6:40 pm. All of the images in the series were handheld, with no use of the burst function.

The subject which Congive spotted was the elusive cheetah in full pursuit of an impala. The blazing speed of predator and prey was one of the most dramatic natural events I’ve ever observed anywhere. Due to trees and undergrowth, both the cheeetah and the impala leaped here and there in a swerving path, which may have given the agile impala a slight edge. As it was occuring, my only thought was to stay focussed on the rapidly moving figures and continue snapping the shutter. About midway in the very brief event I realized that it was a cheetah hunt which I was photographing. In the end the impala outlasted the cheetah. We were all exhilarated by what we’d seen, with a deep sense of having shared in a seldom observed occurence. The cheetah was heavily panting after its exertion. We drove over and parked at a respectful distance. Other vehicles were called to let them know about the chase and the current position of the cheetah. I’ve been back to Leopard Hills earlier this year and later visited Poirini Lion in Kenya. Therefore these images remained untouched and unexamined on a CF memory card until now, when they’re finally being uploaded for others to see in this trip report. It was surely the highlight of my first visit to Leopard Hills despite the meager image quality.

With life on the line, the ultimate race,

An impala and a cheetah giving their best,

Separated by a very small space,

The stakes were so high, that there was no time to rest.

post-49296-0-18277300-1459275527_thumb.jpg

In Hot Pursuit

post-49296-0-77015200-1459275561_thumb.jpg

Cheetah Pursuing an Impala

post-49296-0-39942200-1459275594_thumb.jpg

All-out Exertion

post-49296-0-39904000-1459275629_thumb.jpg

Great Leap

post-49296-0-81651300-1459275676_thumb.jpg

Cheetah in Pursuit

From the pure settings point of view those results are excellent. From the artistic point of view, they are amazing! The lower shutter speed enhance the feeling of motion, the background is blurred to the form of an artistic canvas, the whole sequence just ooze the dynamics of the hunt! And they bears that distinctive "Tom Kellie" poetic nature type of photography! I am all envy. The technically perfect photos can be replicated ... but your above photos cannot be.

Edited by xelas

@@Tom Kellie I am only at page 4 of your trip report but already have to say: superb writing (and poetry! very impressive) and great photos! I am looking forward to catching up with the other installments of your trip! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Airline pilots call it spooling down,

Letting turbine engines come to a halt.

So too do cheetahs need cooling down,

Losing an impala is no one's fault.

post-49296-0-79794800-1459307514_thumb.jpg

Nothing Back There

post-49296-0-32034900-1459307551_thumb.jpg

Rearguard Action

post-49296-0-87972100-1459307586_thumb.jpg

Eyes of a Hunter

post-49296-0-55819300-1459307626_thumb.jpg

Reconnoitering the Territory

Really like the "road" pics, Tom, and the Duiker shots as well. Shows their shy nature very well.

~ @@michael-ibk

Thank you so much! I'm glad that the scenes without game but full of trees are meaningful to you.

The characteristic vegetation on game drives adds to the allure of safari destinations.

You and I know how Kenya's Meru National Park has a sublime landscape which is a positive element in safaris there.

Come to think of it, Austria also has a lovely landscape!

Photographing duikers has been a top priority while staying as a guest at Leopard Hills.

The rangers have patiently endured my requests to stop to photograph every duiker or steenbok.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie I am only at page 4 of your trip report but already have to say: superb writing (and poetry! very impressive) and great photos! I am looking forward to catching up with the other installments of your trip! Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

~ @@BieneMaja

It means a lot to me for you to say that. Thank you very much for your very kind comment.

The quatrains — 4-line verse in an ABAB rhyme scheme — have been valuable discipline for me.

Composing them has required more careful consideration of what individual photos sets mean to me.

That they pleased you makes me happy. No finer compliment could be received.

Tom K.

From the pure settings point of view those results are excellent. From the artistic point of view, they are amazing! The lower shutter speed enhance the feeling of motion, the background is blurred to the form of an artistic canvas, the whole sequence just ooze the dynamics of the hunt! And they bears that distinctive "Tom Kellie" poetic nature type of photography! I am all envy. The technically perfect photos can be replicated ... but your above photos cannot be.

~ @@xelas

What a wonderful comment, especially from an experienced nature photographer.

Your kind encouragement restores my flagging confidence, which had considerable misgivings about posting the cheetah chase series.

If I could have done it over, there are several aspects which I would have altered.

As it was, the only thought in my mind during the action was to not lose the moving subjects and faithfully track their dazzlingly rapid progress across the semi-dark landscape.

If there is any artistic merit, then the effort was worthwhile, after all.

Were there ever to be a ‘next time’, I may be better prepared.

Thank you very much for taking time to visit this trip report when you're preparing installments of your own Kgalagadi 2016 trip report.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie, you are too hard on yourself, "all out exertion" is a brilliant photo.In near darkness, both animals in full flight and you didn't "amputate" anything. Oh and the Cheetah at rest is lovely, I always feel so sorry for a Cheetah "failing", so much energy used and risk of injury so great.

Peter Connan

Oh what a magnificent series. I agree completely with @@xelas

@@Tom Kellie, you are too hard on yourself, "all out exertion" is a brilliant photo.In near darkness, both animals in full flight and you didn't "amputate" anything. Oh and the Cheetah at rest is lovely, I always feel so sorry for a Cheetah "failing", so much energy used and risk of injury so great.

~ @@elefromoz

Having been enjoying the outstanding safari photography posted in various recent trip reports, I hesitated posting the cheetah series.

Safaritalk is richly blessed with a group of experienced, sophisticated wildlife photographers who consistently post images of the highest quality.

Not having reached their standards, I'm learning from my errors. It would have been better to have taken a few seconds to reset the camera. At the time my thoughts were all about tracking and focussing on the speeding animals.

Nonetheless, a precious learning opportunity.

I'm definitely pleased that you liked the photos, including the cheetah post-chase. They must be resilient animals, so frequently losing their prey.

Thank you for your gentle encouragement.

Tom K.

Oh what a magnificent series. I agree completely with @@xelas

~ @@Peter Connan

Thank you so much!

Clearly your country offers wildlife sightings of the greatest quality and variety.

Both those who live in South Africa and those who visit are assured of exceptional sightings.

The cheetah series looks more like semi-abstract paintings than straightforward photographs.

That you and others liked them is a pleasant, encouraging surprise.

They were minimally post-processed to retain the authentic feel, flaws and all.

Tom K.

The vehicle wasn't parked very near,

The impala and us remained distant,

The panting cheetah showed no trace of fear,

The scene might have shifted in an instant.

post-49296-0-27464100-1459331563_thumb.jpg

Aftermath

post-49296-0-25133800-1459331615_thumb.jpg

Sense of Scale at 35mm

After the cheetah seemed less stressed,

Rangers revealed its location,

Soon others came, shutters were pressed,

A highlight of their vacation.

post-49296-0-43409000-1459333122_thumb.jpg

Cheetah Photographer

post-49296-0-81812500-1459333164_thumb.jpg

More Cheetah Photographers

Now that you're properly seated,

May I please have a word with you?

I hope you're not overheated,

Given that your swift chase is through.

post-49296-0-10175400-1459337226_thumb.jpg

Spotted Cheetah Coat and Spring Foliage

post-49296-0-92726400-1459337269_thumb.jpg

Tooth and Claw

post-49296-0-04890000-1459337317_thumb.jpg

Cheetah in Partial Profile

post-49296-0-32115100-1459337361_thumb.jpg

A Most Lovely Big Cat

post-49296-0-87951900-1459337398_thumb.jpg

Warm Chestnut Eyes

post-49296-0-57997700-1459337437_thumb.jpg

Ears Back

@@Tom Kellie

Some people don't realise that they have taken exceptional images even when they are on the screen in front of them :)

How anyone could not be blown away by your cheetah hunt sequence I do not understand.

The sense of movementmand the excitement is captured perfectly - as well as keeping it in focus and in frame - in the dark!

If you had taken a few seconds to adjust your camera you would have ended up with an adjusted camera and no photos! My guess is you would have put in a higher shutter speed (I have no evidence for that guess) and the photos would have been much less special. Have another look and admire what you have taken - bacause that is what I am about to do

(The other cheetah photos are also very good....)

Cheetah, a big cat who thinks,

About hunting, chasing and such,

When reclining like a sphinx,

Is quite pensive, not doing much.

post-49296-0-75749300-1459344746_thumb.jpg

Sphinx

post-49296-0-08175800-1459344794_thumb.jpg

Far-sighted

post-49296-0-04319200-1459344875_thumb.jpg

Inscrutable Countenance

post-49296-0-60003700-1459345014_thumb.jpg

Cheetah Shut-eye

post-49296-0-87087700-1459345189_thumb.jpg

Speckled Brow

post-49296-0-47601100-1459345247_thumb.jpg

Monitoring the Cheetah's Presence

post-49296-0-73090600-1459345508_thumb.jpg

Thinking of the Next Hunt

@@Tom Kellie

Well, too bad you weren't a fly on the wall the last couple of weeks while I did my worst tightrope walking ever - looked more like a monkey on a clothesline, dangling by my fingertips, but pleased to WALLOW JOYFULLY reading the rest of this TR - OMG - I wish I could remember all the names with whom I agree - @@xelas comes to mind, but @everyone who pooh-poohed your excessive humility and totally unmerited self-critique about your manual settings for the cheetah and impala photos....

WOW WOW WOW - great great images!!!!! so artistic, so surreal or would that be better expressed as impressionistic - ARTISTIC AMAZING ACTION

Now, here's the deal - you aren't allowed to get all gooey and self-deprecating about your TRs, your photos, your posts - ENOUGH!!!!

We are members of the unofficial Tom Kellie Fan Club - we wouldn't be following your TRs etc if we didn't want to see and read what you have to offer!

So, enough whingeing as my British friends put it - and just deliver the great goods as & when you can. We all get the internet speed problem. I checked - your jpegs are 72 dpi and a reason size, but you must have internet comparable to my old dial-up of about 28 kb/s - which is slower than molasses during the Ice Age!

Okay, I have another 50 minutes to go see what else is posted in threads I'm following - @@Game Warden - thank you for making it so easy to see what I have missed and also to see when my posts have received a like or a comment - that's very cool, young man, and now we know that you sport the beard to hide your blushes - oh well, we all have our little quirks and secrets.

<3 (produces heart on FB, but no time to fritter finding the symbol to copy & paste) to all!!!

Thursday's Child

@@Tom Kellie

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be boring and agree with everyone else. Great cheetah photos and the action sequence is superb. The next best thing to actually being there.

As always, I'm continuing to enjoy your thoughtful presentation of this excellent set of photos. The nyala on the previous page - wow!

Ulusaba Lodge is quite a sight, too.

As other members have said, your cheetah hunt sequence is great! The photos are bursting with energy.

@@Tom Kellie

Well, too bad you weren't a fly on the wall the last couple of weeks while I did my worst tightrope walking ever - looked more like a monkey on a clothesline, dangling by my fingertips, but pleased to WALLOW JOYFULLY reading the rest of this TR - OMG - I wish I could remember all the names with whom I agree - @@xelas comes to mind, but @everyone who pooh-poohed your excessive humility and totally unmerited self-critique about your manual settings for the cheetah and impala photos....

WOW WOW WOW - great great images!!!!! so artistic, so surreal or would that be better expressed as impressionistic - ARTISTIC AMAZING ACTION

Now, here's the deal - you aren't allowed to get all gooey and self-deprecating about your TRs, your photos, your posts - ENOUGH!!!!

We are members of the unofficial Tom Kellie Fan Club - we wouldn't be following your TRs etc if we didn't want to see and read what you have to offer!

So, enough whingeing as my British friends put it - and just deliver the great goods as & when you can. We all get the internet speed problem. I checked - your jpegs are 72 dpi and a reason size, but you must have internet comparable to my old dial-up of about 28 kb/s - which is slower than molasses during the Ice Age!

~ @@Lala

Thank you so much. I'm overwhelmed by your generous comments.

For this or that reason it isn't feasible to gauge the quality of the trip report.

Despite the ongoing local-origin challenge of uploading images, I remain committed to completing this trip report.

It's deeply moving to know that a professional writer like you reads this trip report.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.