Kenya after the Rains (mostly): Meru, Ol Pejeta, Olare Motorogi

TonyQ

Thank you everyone that has followed this report, and those of you who have put "likes" along the way - it does provide a lot of encouragement

@@armchair bushman

Thank you very much for a very flattering comment - I am particularly pleased that you have made it about hyena pictures

@@Tom Kellie

Thank you for your thoughtful, considerate and positive post - your support throughout the report has been much appreciated

@@amybatt

Thank you - that photo is a secret selfie :) . I have had a look(with enlargement for my old eyes) and you can indeed see the vehicle in the reflection - I had not noticed. I am pleased you (as a cat person) like this photo - I do as well - it was a bit of an experiment as we sat very close (about 6m) to a group of relaxing lions.

@@elefromoz

Thankn you for your kind comments

@@Patty

Thank you for following and for your kind comments- I am glad you enjoyed it

@@michael-ibk

Thank you for your kind comments - we did have lots of treats - and some such as the Bat-eared Foxes and hyenas were not obvious one. Thank you for the comment on the photos - much appreciated. Our next trip will be quite different to Kenya - we go to Svalbard (Spitsbergen) at the end of June - so maybe some Arctic birds :)

@@xelas

Thank you for joining me and encouraging me - I am glad you enjoyed it. I can concentrate on yours now!

@@dlo

Thank you for your kind comments and appreciation of hyenas!

@@deano

Thank you - we had never been to Kenya before and we loved it - I am sure you would also

@@Zim Girl

Thankn you for reading and for your kind comments.

@@TonyQ We have really enjoyed and have been totally impressed with your photos. It was really neat to be able to meet both of you and put a face on who created this great TR. The other two camps you visited will be on our list the next time we return to Kenya.

Also, thank you for the tips on beginning my first TR.

Hopefully we will meet again down the road.

Best regards, Bwana Mapumbo and Mama Ndege

@@TonyQ Thak-you for this excellent report - you have set a standard! I really liked your picture of the giraffe and tree.

Fantastic report; enjoyed every single post. Agree 100% about watching elephants all day.

Oh, and even your "unsuccessful" bird shots are a marvel! :)

@@TonyQ, that was 20 pages of pure enjoyment! Your trip report and especially your photos are fantastic as everyone has mentioned. Thanks so much for sharing your Kenya experience. You saw so much wildlife! For someone that has yet to make it to Africa, your trip is a great advertisement. I can't think of anything you didn't see that I would want to see (Pangolin maybe...?). I am starting to really get the itch to make my first Africa trip despite the costs. Reports like yours are going to end up costing me some money! :) .

Alan

armchair bushman

I'm so pleased you got to see that lion from the terrace at Ole Sereni! What a great way to end the trip!

There are so many threats to Nairobi National Park at the moment and I'm seriously depressed. It has always been SUCH a magical and meaningful place to me my whole life here.

Peter Connan

@@TonyQ, thank you for another magnificent trip report. It was fun tagging along!

@@TonyQ - over the last few days I've been thoroughly enjoying my travels through your excellent report with your descriptive commentary and beautiful photos.

What a wonderful array of sightings.

I'd forgotten how bold, crisp and clearly delineated the patterns of the handsome reticulated giraffe and so much more to savour on every page - including let me say - a caracal!

I imagine you and @@Thursday's Child share many wonderful reminiscences over an English sundowner!

attachicon.gifMeru-13.jpg

And some were throwing themselves fully into the fun

attachicon.gifMeru-14.jpg

attachicon.gifMeru-15.jpg

attachicon.gifMeru-16.jpg

attachicon.gifMeru-17.jpg

Or enjoying a good soak

Then a signal unheard by us led them to leave the water, cross the track and disappear into the bush.

attachicon.gifMeru-18.jpg

attachicon.gifMeru-19.jpg

I love Meru. You have some fabulous Elephant shots here. Thanks for sharing. AJ

@@TonyQ and @@Thursday's Child, thank you for working so hard to put up the TR and the wonderful photos.

I really love those pictures of the young hyena on page 19 - he's so handsome - u sure it was male? and he looks so curious too.

Kicheche Bush sounds really terrific but you are making me think i should go to Meru. so many places to go and so little funds and time!

Oddly, when we went through security at the Nairobi airport last year, it was very quiet and and very quick through security. our bags were not searched. i think we were the only passengers checking in at that time (early afternoon). did they search your bags even after the xray machine? or did you go through a different terminal, I wonder?

@@mapumbo

Bwana Mapumbo and Mama Ndege thank you for following and for your kind comments. We enjoyed meeting you both and enjoyed reading your report - we could imagine you in those places with those sightings.

@@pomkiwi

Thank you for reading and for your kind remarks

@@Marks

Thank you for your continued positivity

@@Atdahl

Thank you for your kind comments - Safaritalk can cost a lot of money :)

@@armchair bushman

The lion was an unexpected treat - other reports make Nairobi National Park sound very appealing

@@Peter Connan

Thank you -it was good to have you along

@@Caracal

Thank you - you are right about the sundowners!. The reticulated giraffe is beautiful - this trip was the first time we had seen them - they are very distinctive.

@@PHALANX

Thank you for reading and for your kind comments

@@Kitsafari

Thank you for reading and for your encouraging comments. I am pleased you liked the hyena - I do not know if it is male or female - despite liking them I am not skilled at distinguishing. I know adult females are bigger than males but that is about it! There are a lot of great places to choose from.

Re: Nairobi airport security. Firstly there is a series of gates similar to toll booths outside the airport - you have to get out of the car and then go through a security check while cars are checked - you meet up with your car after this. Secondly, only passengers are allowed into the airport building - hold luggage is X-rayed at this point (we were carry on only). We travelled BA - all carry-on luggage is scanned as you go into the BA section (it is very thorough - a pair of nail clippers with a pointed file about 2cm long was identified in my bag and removed). All bags are then scanned a second time on a different machine and a different operator. The process is friendly and efficient but it does take time.

Edited by TonyQ

Your comments about NBO just caused me flashbacks. The last two times I've left NBO, once you go through into the boarding area, there are no toilets and nothing to drink (unless you're flying Business Class or better). So it's hard to bring anything to keep hydrated for the flight or even while you're waiting to board. Additionally it is heated/cooled to near-sauna temperatures, which only gets worse as more people pile in. If you didn't want to leave Kenya, you will really want to once you get into the boarding area!

SafariChick

@@TonyQ I finally got a chance to catch up on the latter part of this report (as I'm sure you could tell by all the likes I've been giving you the past day or two!) Just fabulous! Hard to pick favorites as there are so many, but from the Mara part I'd have to say Olive and her cub, the bat-eared foxes and the elephants are all top contenders. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your lovely photos and words.

@@amybatt

You are right - there was no water or toilets in the boarding area - it is useful to point that out to people. It was possible to go our of the boarding area to go to the toilets - and then go through the security procedures again - but this is much easier if you have someone you can leave your bags with. I don't remember the area being particularly hot or cold when we were there.

@@SafariChick

Thank you for reading and liking! I am pleased you liked the pictures of Olive and her cub - it was a very enjoyable sighting. We loved the Bat-eared Foxes - a real thrill as we had never seen them before - and we can never have too many elephants. Thank you for your kind comments.

offshorebirder

Wonderful trip report @@TonyQ. Thanks for spending the time, a lot of which must have gone into this TR.

Also a good photo of the Three-banded Plover a couple of posts back - the little fellows can be difficult to capture well.

@@offshorebirder

Thank you for reading it - I enjoyed putting it together so I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

Thank you for the comment on the Plover - much appreciated coming from a proper birder!

Double Dare

Your photos are lovely! I feel like I am almost there with you. Kenya really has to be on my list!

@@Double Dare

Thank you for reading - and for your kind comments. It was our first visit to Kenya - and now we do recommend it!

The blue on the helmeted guinea fowl shows and you have their chicks. Success.

Snake in talons, what a fun catch after the fact. For you both!

Butterflies are sublime.

I like the floral outline on the lion.

There is a lilac breasted roller with the 4 hippos, in #60, I felt I should declare.

Gerenuk in Meru. Great. And they were doing what they are supposed to do.

Sunrise shots prove video-maker right.

Smart electrical engineer eles!

Meru was a winner!

The white faced whistling ducks make the ele photo for me in 113.

Like the action of the zebra.

You maximized the fading light and the headlights for the lion.

What a thrill to see your first cheetah in 20 years, and an excellent sighting at that! They seemed to be excited to see you to, performing acrobatic acts!

You photograph a mean breakfast table.

Through p. 7 Lovely!

@@Atravelynn

Thank you very much for your kind comments - and for reading my report while you are writing your excellent report on your trip to Tanzania

Most welcome. Any plans for another Kenya visit? You will need to jump in when people are hesitant about going to Kenya. There has been a lot of negative attention lately that can shift plans away from Kenya. This is a reason to go.

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn

We loved Kenya and I am sure we will go again - but there are lots of other places that also appeal. So for the time being we will savour the experience.

We will certainly recommend it to people!

@@Atravelynn

We loved Kenya and I am sure we will go again - but there are lots of other places that also appeal. I know. It's not fair! It's not fair! Darn appealing places, too many of them. So for the time being we will savour the experience. These reports let you do that a second time, and even more!

We will certainly recommend it to people!

• 2 weeks later...
Lois Hild Photography

@@TonyQ Superb photography all the way through. Thank you for sharing them so generously. You have especially made me anxious to get back to OMC and Kicheche. The wait from now until June 30 will be interminable. Kicheche guides are absolutely topnotch. Personally, I've developed a good working relationship with Nelson, but I love Charles' laugh and no doubt he is a superlative guide. I don't think Kicheche has any other kind.

Botswanadreams

@@TonyQ

You are lucky people. Thanks so much for your excellent photography and the whole report. I enjoyed it very much. I can't wait until September. Than we are allowed to go our firth time to Kenya. Start will be Meru NP.