xelas

It's a competition between which is more colorful--your sunrise/set shots or your agama shots?

To 16

Even without a photo, a bathing brown hyena is a great sighting. I was admiring the first cheetah in the shadow only to scroll down for the chase. What an excellent series. Even if the terrain is supposed to be ideal for catching this, it still takes talent from the photographer. Nice going Zveada.

Edited by Atravelynn

Glad you stayed that last night at KTC instead of TR? I bet, lovely lions. Pen

@@penolva

Following advices by expert safarigoers is always a wise move :) !

You nailed the pronk, a couple of times. The second to last shot in #357 looks like fence poles across the field. It's springbok and giraffe!

To the shots of the lions you did on a WALKING safari is tremendous.

You really captured the demise of the insect with the swallow tail bee eater.

Are you getting adequate sleep now?

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn

You mean, after finishing the report?! Because "early out of the bed early into the bed" is what we are accustomed to when we travel.

Edited by xelas

@@xelas This has been an excellent report made all the more enjoyable as we will be in Kgalagadi later this month. If we even have half the sightings you had I'll be happy.

I have enjoyed sitting down with my coffee every morning and reading the next installment. Looking forward to Part 4 and also to your Sri Lanka trip report. Thank you and Zvezda for a wonderful report!

@@Pennyanne

Thank You so much for you kind words! You will have a great time, just let the Nature show you what the Nature will decide to show you, and enjoy every moment :) !

FlyTraveler

Oh my, oh my, oh my... What a great safari, trip report and photography, @@xelas and Zvezdana!!! I am sure that I will be back to this TR multiple times. The fabulous photos are too many to mention, but I was very impressed by the Lions and Giraffes sequence, the Lions on foot (on your last day), the S-shaped water dropping from the mouth of the giraffe, the birds, of course (that dust around the bee-eater when catching the insect) and many others. Lots of fabulous wide shots, as well - the Springboks, sunrises, sunsets, you name it... Thanks for posting this fabulous TR!!!

I just wanted to say that I'm essentially reading your trip report twice -- once on the go, on my cell phone, and then because the photos are so good and my phone doesn't do them justice, I go back and read the same sections again when I get a chance at a desktop. This makes me slower than your very fine tortoise, but that's fine by me -- I'm having a wonderful time by proxy with all the amazing moments you captured. I am just stunned by the cheetah chase, and also by all the quieter moments too -- the whistling mouse and the skink and the African wild cat. The birds are absolutely amazing, and I love seeing the difference on the two screens-- they're always good on the cell phone, but on the desktop, you really get a sense of their presence and how alive they are. I love that glint in the eye that Zvezda captures! I'm still reading, but just wanted to say thanks for sharing.

@@FlyTraveler

Thank You! And I am looking forward with anticipation to enjoy yours next one ... specially the landscape shots!!

@@hannahcat

Those glints in the eyes ... Zvezda did took quite a time to get them right. Thanks for noticing them.

You are setting an extremely high standard for yourself my friend ! Bring on Sri Lanka !!

Red Squirrel

Thank you so much, fantastic report, just makes me want to book a trip to the Kgalagadi. Beautiful photos, helped with my Africa withdrawal symptoms!

You had some fantastic sightings and love that you have learnt to Braai and enjoy your G and T since your last trip.

page 19

Gorgeous wildcat. The proximity of the giraffes to the lion adds to the drama. How nice you could be part of the parade.

Those watery S's are something I would like to accomplish some day. Very impressive. Can you do an spitting S tutorial at the waterhole for us? How did you do that? I see this is the 2nd request for photo lessons/assistance. @@wildlifepainter beat me to it. Workshop time.

@@Chakra

But first i would love to read your South Africa TR on here!

@@Red Squirrel

The home braai lessons were useful. The G&T was much appreciated!

@@Atravelynn

Technical part I can discuss, but the artistic part, that was all in the hands of Zvezda!

Technical part: find a thirsty giraffe, put it at the waterhole, move the rising sun behind her back. Now ask the giraffe kindly to repeat the drinking process about 100 times ... add a healthy dose of pure luck, and voila!!

But is there something special to get the water to trail? A fast speed maybe? Now go find me a giraffe, please.

@@Atravelynn

The exact moment! The shutter speed was not that high, at 1/500 sec. The sun has to be at such angle that it reflects in the water. Head movement are different so also shapes of water are different, so many tries (and errors) are needed.

To capture that "exact" moment a fast-acting camera body is needed, likea DSLR. P&S and also some bridge type cameras has a "shutter lag" (the time between pressing the shutter button and when the camera actually makes the exposure) that is just too long. I hope some other more experienced photographers will add their knowledge on this topic.

I know about your extensive travels, so I also know I am not the person to give you any advices on where to find a giraffe :) . We were seeing them in Etosha and in Kgalagadi (yeah, proper Africa greenhorns, that is who we are).

Edited by xelas

"The sun has to be at such angle that it reflects in the water." The secret is out. Right, that makes sense!

Thanks for the shutter lag explanation too. That's the sort of thing I was looking for. Some how-to hints. Got it!

" know I am not the person to give you any advices on where to find a giraffe" Oh, I didn't want advice on where to see them, I wanted a giraffe delivery. :P

Now that you are home, presumably well rested, and have had time to reflect on your fabulous trip, are there any changes you would have made or would suggest to those following in your footsteps?

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn

Hmm, that one is a good question indeed. There were a couple of mistakes I have made, that hopefully will be avoided next visit:

- star photography is not good due to atmospheric conditions, and lack of Milky Way in that period; I have planned for the moonless nights but forgot to check the Milky Way.

- food logistic should be better: while the fridge worked great, the cool box was not "cool" enough and at the end of the day all our vegetables were floating in the melted ex-ice cubs. Also the plastic container heated to such a level that all toasts inside were spoiled. Too much food, specially eggs and meat and rice ( :) ).

Flying from Jo'burg to Upington was comfortable but driving would be half the price and we would save cca. 300 Eur.

Otherwise, I have no other complains. The itinerary worked well, the 1-nighters at Grootkolk and at Bitterpan were also "at the right places" (although 2 nights at each stop is obviously much better choice). Not much we will change when going there next time.

- star photography is not good due to atmospheric conditions, and lack of Milky Way in that period; I have planned for the moonless nights but forgot to check the Milky Way.

Hmmm, and I thought the Milky Way was always there...somewhere in the sky...I guess not. Actually, it makes sense if you think of it, but obviously I didn't :)

So, how do you know if it's there, at the time and location you are at?

wildlifepainter

Last year we wanted to do stars but it was a full moon. This year we tried again...

And the stars were all aliened and then the clouds blocked the stars! My solution was to have more wine and reserve for next year to try again. :D

The Milky way is best viewed in June and July, and is not visible between November and January. For Southern Hemisphere, mid-April is when you should start planning the trip for taking photos of Milky Way. Of course, avoid full moon.

June and July are top winter months, with long days and crisp nights so best for photographing it.

You have lodged very minor "complaints" about the trip. It sure looked successful from a reader's standpoint. Getting the milky way to comply can be a tall order. I have no doubt you'll execute that next time. But a few tweaks, such as your cool box stuff can be very helpful to others.

Hmm, that one is a good question indeed. There were a couple of mistakes I have made, that hopefully will be avoided next visit:

Flying from Jo'burg to Upington was comfortable but driving would be half the price and we would save cca. 300 Eur.

That one is a good one. We were also thinking about flying into Upington but your remark triggered me and I will now look into driving from Jo'burg instead of flying. It will also save us money in the ticket price from Amsterdam. Because if we would fly to Upington we would have taken a direct flight from Amsterdam to Jo'burg with KLM, which will be more expensive than flying indirect with Emirates or any such airline. So savings can be even more.