xelas

@@Ladouce

I would have no problems with driving Jo'burg to Kgalagadi; I was nervous about driving back to Jo'burg, after being behind the wheel for 12 days already. Wishing our specific itinerary flying was a wise option; in different itinerary driving might be much better option even if costs are not considered.

i'm late to the end of TR party!! still, better late than never.

I'm one of the 71 members who read and thoroughly enjoyed every alphabet and every stunning picture of every details. I just love the liquid eyes in those lions!

I don't know if my OH and I are brave enough to drive in Africa, so I had to rely on your TR to see KTP. what a wonderful place it is. thank you for taking time to share it.

:)

Hmm, that one is a good question indeed. There were a couple of mistakes I have made, that hopefully will be avoided next visit:

Flying from Jo'burg to Upington was comfortable but driving would be half the price and we would save cca. 300 Eur.

That one is a good one. We were also thinking about flying into Upington but your remark triggered me and I will now look into driving from Jo'burg instead of flying. It will also save us money in the ticket price from Amsterdam. Because if we would fly to Upington we would have taken a direct flight from Amsterdam to Jo'burg with KLM, which will be more expensive than flying indirect with Emirates or any such airline. So savings can be even more.

@@Ladouce we drive from johannesburg, but there are two of us to share the driving duties. I was interested to read @@xelas TR to see if flying actually saved any time, but it did not. When we looked for flight JNB to upington they were £500pp, but maybe that was a busy time, however, when you factor in that car hire is more expensive in upington and that they overnighted in upington anyway (which is what we did to break the journey) if there is more than one driver in your group I cannot see how you can justify the expense. Once out of joburg, the roads are good and not busy.

Towlersonsafari

I think the problem we were worried about with driving from JNb to upington was driving that distance after a usually sleepless flight! We have always flown back from upington to try to maximize the stay in the KTP. I think the flights were about £150ish each. the last 2 times we have approached from Cape town way-there are some lovely places to explore on the way such as Namaqualand and the Cederberg if that helps at all. We also have two to share the driving and touch wood, have found it a very enjoyable experience

@@Kitsafari

If any place on this globe is safe to start a self-driving experience, that one must be Kgalagadi (with Upington). Road between Upington and Kgalagadi is straight and paved and with maybe 5 cars on it! Kgalagadi itself, everyone drives between turtle and snail speed :) and you can stop any place and no one will be annoyed. The 4x4 sand tracks are different matter but staying at bigger camps, plus Grootkolk, Urikaruus, Kielikrankie and Kalahari Tented Camp (and Polentswa) will not pose any problem driving to and from.

Edited by xelas

@@Ladouce

As mentioned by @@Tdgraves and @@Towlersonsafari , driving from either Jo'burg or Cape Town is perfectly possible, each being cca. 1000 km away from Twee Rivieren entry to Kgalagadi. IMO total drive should be spanned over two days minimum. With two drivers, and if really in a hurry, it is feasible also in one day (in summer when days are longer). Flying does not give you faster access to the park, only more comfortable one.

We would sleep our first night in Jo'burg anyway. The second night, in Upington, we could skip as we have arrived early enough to pick up the car and the food and we would be able to arrive at Twee Rivieren while the gates are still open. And even if being too late, there is a very nice lodge just a few hundred meters away. As we have started in the morning from Upington, we have been able to drive all the way to Nossob.

@@Tdgraves @@Towlersonsafari @@xelas

Thanks for the info. When we started thinking about the trip next year we thought about driving from Jo'burg to KTP but than a Dutch agent (we booked throught them last time) said it is easier to fly to Upington and pick up the car there. So than we thought ok, why not. But looking into all the options including the various price difference it could save actually 2 tickets which at this moment cost Euro 330 each plus the cheaper fare from Amsterdam to Jo'burg which could save about Euro 150,- each meaning a total save close to Euro 1.000,- . Taking the 2016 prices into account.

And if we would fly KLM to Jo'burg we would need a hotel night at Jo'burg because this flight arrives at night. So this hotel night would now be spend during the 1000 km ride from Jo'burg to Twee Rivieren. And yes, we both can drive but after a night flight I would not like to drive 1000 km in one day. So splitting up in 2 parts would be a good thing, just 500 km on day 1 and 500 km on day 2.

This is what I always like about these fora, the practical tips you get from people who are looking for the same kind of trips (and adventure).

Edited by Ladouce

Towlersonsafari

Hello @@Ladouce the main thing is go for it and have a great time!

Edited by Towlersonsafari

What a great trip report @@xelas, with equally great photos. Too many favourites, like the Brown Hyena, the Cheeta hunt, the panoramas and the spectacular raptor pics! I found your trip report (and this forum) when I was trying to find some info on Namibia and the Kgalagadi. We hope to do a trip there in the beginning of 2017. Your stories certainly have made the prospect even more appealing. We were a bit worried about the heat, but even though you appear to have had some very hot days (and nights), you managed very well, I think. I also read with great interest your experiences with the 4x4, as I have never driven one of these before and we are hesitating about the necessity/advantages, because, obviously there is a price tag.

Again, thank you for sharing your stories and pictures. I truly enjoyed them! By the way, I think the Kites in the tree on page 9 may have been Black Kites. The Yellow-billed Kite has an all-yellow bill and these have the black tip, characteristic of the Black Kite.

Kind regards,

Peter

Edited by PeterHG

@@PeterHG

Thanks, Peter, for taking time and reading our trip report, and for your kind words. I truly hope this one, and the other teo from Namibia, and many other excellent trip reports will help you planning your trip.

Also thanks for the correction on kites. We do love to take photos of birds but are always struggling when the time to ID them comes :unsure: .

My wife demands the "chelsea tractor" aka Toyota Hilux, and I am an obeying husband. While there are people that travels by sedan type of cars, we are not among them. The comfort costs; I prefer to save on the lodges and not on the car.

@@xelas

Yes, a Hilux seems like a good option. I read that you are travelling to Sri Lanka later this year ( self-driving I think; you're a braver man that I am:)). We went there in February this year, so if there is any info you would like, I'll be happy to share whatever little knowledge we have. We had a great time, with many bird photography opportunities, several leopard sightings ( not in Yala but in Wilpattu NP ) and friendly people everywhere. Enjoy your trip!

Some of my photos can be found here:https://www.flickr.com/gp/64301924@N05/f0i82d

Kind regards,

Peter

@@PeterHG

Wow, stupendous photos! My wife really likes the way you have cropped them; very tight, with tons of details. Looks like we will have a great time in Sri Lanka. I am sending you a message as for sure I have plenty of questions.

A quick semi-related information: we have dropped a postcard into the post box at Twee Rivieren on February 1st, 2016 ant the postcard arrived at our address on April 21st, 2016! So, whoever is still expecting those postcards, give them some more time :)

You postcarded yourself? How sweet. What a nice memory jogger, too. Bet you wish you were right back there in the midst of that post card seen. Oh well, soon you will be. One time my post cards from Kenya took 2 years. They all arrived 2 years later.

Maybe you answered this earlier, but have you now caught up on your sleep?

@@Atravelynn

We do postcard ourselves even when we have toured together as a family. Now we send postcard(s) to our daughter ... living on the same address :) .

I do not recall to answer. In fact I was not deprived on any sleep while on tour. Also in Costa Rica we have been up before sunrise (6 am), but in bed and asleep at 9 pm. The part where we have had to catch up some missing hours were after the long overnight flight and the second "braai evening"; that was the reasons where flying to Upington, and having an afternoon/night before continuing to Kgalagadi was very good idea.

Edited by xelas

• 5 weeks later...

@@xelas

Stunning photography!

Thank You, @@ZaminOz ! I will forward your words to Zvezda, she will be glad to hear them :) !

• 1 month later...

@@xelas Loved the trip report, Alex - thanks so much for sharing!!

Your stories along with Zvezda's photos were a fantastic combination.

I'm afraid to say that we're already regretting not booking more time in KTP for our upcoming trip next month. :(

Cheers!

Jeff

Jeff, I am glad you have enjoyed our common efforts :) ... unfortunately I have to confirm that you will regret not booking more time in KTP! On the other side, you will enjoy every second there.

SafariChick

@@xelas I am way behind and trying to catch up on this epic trip report! Everything is wonderful but had to stop and comment on the amazing sunsets in post 248! Ok back to my reading :D

@@SafariChick

Enjoy it! It is a long trip report, indeed, and I must have had enjoyed writtng it almost as much as you are enjoying reading it!

SafariChick

@@xelas Finally finished it and it was worth the effort! Really great, photos and text - have to say the Foo Fighter story was a favorite but so many others it's hard to know what to mention - well you saw all my likes along the way! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us all!

@@SafariChick

Thank you so much for your time and your likes! The pleasure was all mine, both during the trip and while re-living it by posting this TR. The warm welcome and many readers makes me obliged to post more. Luckily we havesome great journeys planned in next few years. Stay tuned!

Edited by xelas

@@xelas Just a more practical question which came to my mind this weekend. How is everything arranged in KTP with regards to bed linens? I assume we need to bring our own towels but do they provide linens for the beds or do we also need to bring this with us? I could have posted this question probably somewhere else but as you were there recently I thought I ask.