PeterHG's year

PeterHG

Ha, I was about to comment that ISO 200, maybe nicknanmed uou "Mr.100" then I saw your reply to Tdgraves :-))

Today's cameras have no problems with ISO 3400, and in some cases even ISO 6400 cleans out pretty well.

At least I am lucky with Goldfinches, no need to drive up to Spain as they come daily to my garden. Maybe you should visit Slovenia one of next Europe trips, Peter?

I do make many mistakes when typing. You should see my text messages! Yes, cameras today are much better at high iso shots than, say 8 years ago!

It must be wonderful to have Goldfinches in your garden. We do have them over here, but never in my garden. Well judging by its size, it could't hold more than 2 finches anyway :)

We'll keep Slovenia in mind, you never know. My daughter was quite enthusiastic about the scenery and it's closer than Spain....

@@PeterHG, beautiful photos of your Spanish birds (and French). Interestingly we saw far more Red Kites than Black and also saw so many Vultures. I struggled with Thekla vs Crested Lark, so I will have to have another look at mine to be sure, now you've pointed out the obvious differences.Mind you, may not be so obvious in my "fuzzy" photos.

Good to hear you saw many Red Kites. I like them even better than their black cousins, but we only saw one or two. I struggle with those larks, too. I need to get a good look to decide and even then I'm not always 100% sure. The are so much alike! I've got some more larks coming up......

Edited by PeterHG

@@PeterHG

The Black Kite may be common in Spain - but that is beautiful photo of it.

Goldfinches are interesting (as well as beautiful). We regularly get them visiting our garden (they really like sunflower hearts) - but 10- 15 years ago they were very unusual visitors.

198. Lesser Short-toed Lark. Lleida steppes, Spain. Another lifer. Short, tubby bill compared to Short-toed Lark (see later post

i-p9w3BfJ-L.jpg

199. Short-toed Lark. Lleida steppes, Spain. Longer and more pointed bill than previous lark. Fewer markings on breast and sides.

i-VHf3S5X-L.jpg

200. Pin-tailed Sandgrouse. Lleida Steppes, Spain. Only brief views, but enough for a shot. Yet another lifer!

i-FB2b2HB-XL.jpg

@@PeterHG

Congratulations on reaching 200! Great sightings and superb photos throughout.

michael-ibk

Another #200, well done, congratulations! I´ve enjoyed your contributions a lot.

Congrats also from my side, @@PeterHG ! (it happens when one is old and reads too many trip reports on ST)!

Slovenia, not only closer but also cheaper, and if planned enough in advance, an apartment free of charge is available, and a transport also during the weekend(s). An offer that cannot be declined, yes?

Edited by xelas

Great shots @@PeterHG and congrats on reaching 200. I really like the Squacco Heron picture. What a classy looking bird.

Alan

Congrats also from my side, @@PeterHG ! (it happens when one is old and reads too many trip reports on ST)!

Slovenia, not only closer but also cheaper, and if planned enough in advance, an apartment free of charge is available, and a transport also during the weekend(s). An offer that cannot be declined, yes?

Many thanks @@xelas! That's a very kind offer and, you're right, pretty hard to decline! Just be sure you're equally welcome over here! Your Sri Lanka adventure must be approaching rapidly, was it August?

29th of July we are departing from Slovenia. Time to start preparing those many SD cards needed :-))

Peter Connan

Congratulations on reaching 200 Peter!

No. 200 is a beautiful bird!

201. European Roller. Provence, France. Always a splash of colour!

i-vzP46VB-XL.jpg

i-kbm7hMw-XL.jpg

202. European Bee-eater. Provence, France. And the same can be said for the Bee-eater, of course

i-3Z6pjbz-L.jpg

203. Woodchat Shrike. Lleida Steppes, Spain. Not very approachable, but always a nice sight.

i-STvHQgM-L.jpg

Lesser Kestrel. La Crau, France.

i-dKGHqDv-XL.jpg

205. Short-toed Eagle. La Crau, France. Two of them came gliding by not too high up to take some shots.

i-BV2NjBn-XL.jpg

@@PeterHG, love the Lesser Kestrel, really enjoying your beautiful photography of many birds which are familiar to me. Lovely Roller, we missed that, I was hoping for the trifecta after African and Indian Rollers. Oh well, next time.

Peter Connan

Some more stunning BIF shots!

@@PeterHG, more great shots. Those are ALL new birds for me. The Bee Eater is especially gorgeous...one more reason to head "across the pond" again some day...

206. Melodious Warbler. La Crau, France. Too quick in its movements for my old eyes to follow, but got a record shot when it appeared on a tree further away

i-TgFVwm6-L.jpg

207. Black Redstart. Graveson, France

i-685cLCL-XL.jpg

208. Crag Martin. Les Baux de Provence, France. I think I'm up-to-date now, so additions are going to be lot slower from now on, but that's the thrill of birding and bird photography anyway. I'm really enjoying this thread with so many contributions form all over the world.

i-WGjX3f4-L.jpg

@@PeterHG

Melodious Warbler - what a wonderful name!

And the BlackRedstart is beautiful.