PC's fifth attempt

Peter Connan

Yes, yes, Peter, it will come, I am only trying to get us more public attention here! On the bright side of the life, a quick browsing through my bird photos shows me we might have underestimated our efforts. And some of the caravan shots are just stupenduously fabulous!

Peter Connan

Ah. Good. I have only just finished down-loading and haven't started browsing yet, but I am quite sure that you got a lot more than I did. Especially after officially adopting the "left door gunner's" position.

Peter Connan

102) Ground Hornbill

Bromvoel Bucorvus leadbeateri

This bird is now pretty badly endangered here in SA, and I feel lucky to have had not one but two excellent sightings this year.

The first was in the Timbavati on the 17th of February, where a flock of five birds were walking next to the road at a spot where a cutting down to a low-water bridge started, giving an almost eye-level perspective from the vehicle:

GroundHorn2ODP.jpg.b95328d24b61fd3a33b3dfe4ebf8b847.jpg

GroundHorn2ODP-2.jpg.03873d10bc3c744109c8826631bac860.jpg

Immature:

GroundHorn2ODP-4.jpg.8636beff99abed0505266b74ce17359e.jpg

The other was in our just-completed trip to Botswana, but I have yet to get to those photos, so may post again later...

Peter Connan

103) Pearl-spotted Owlet

Witkoluil Glaucidium perlatum

One of my most favorite birds, purely for it's beautiful sound.

They are actually quite active in daylight hours, and would probably be seen relatively often if not for their small size and excellent camouflage. These photos were taken at 15h00...

PearlyODP.thumb.jpg.e31f63fa2c716a6283c960c8ada87497.jpg

PearlyODP-2.thumb.jpg.3b9e8d48b9f2e2b6bcd12552b9a90b18.jpg

PearlyODP-4.thumb.jpg.9d93fb9a164ee4eff6806894c928f385.jpg

14 February, Timbavati

On 4/11/2018 at 11:46 AM, Peter Connan said:

The biggest problem was mud getting in where it shouldn't, and four vehicles had clutch problems

Oh dear, we too know all about that problem.Mud and clutches not a good mix. Hope you're up and running soon. The little Pearl-spotted Owlet is so cute. 

The Pearl-spotted Owls are cutties but your is looking at you with an attitude :o! Great moment you have captured, @Peter Connan!

@Peter ConnanWell done with the Pearl spotted. You got it at last. Don't you just love those eyes and your subject seems to have eyebrows to match? I have never noticed that before.

1 hour ago, Galana said:

@Peter ConnanWell done with the Pearl spotted. You got it at last. Don't you just love those eyes and your subject seems to have eyebrows to match? I have never noticed that before.

Also a sprinkling of 'spots' just above the eyebrows - very adorable and lovely pictures.

stunning Pearl Spotted owlet @Peter Connan

Peter Connan

104) White-backed Vulture

Witrugaasvoel Gyps africanus

On a nest, no less! White-backs nest in trees, while Cape vultures typically nest on cliffs.

WhitebackODP.thumb.jpg.ad7c85aa7208c8cca7e988c262d8b000.jpg

WhitebackODP-4.thumb.jpg.c124ddb26e56defff95e3c912341b1ac.jpg

WhitebackODP-3.jpg.1b86bc0f4598035c5fa4ead8cc7e7de6.jpg

5ad193ccbdef6_WhitebackODP5.jpg.da9f27be3476a9395afa0fb2b6d90205.jpg

WhitebackODP-2.thumb.jpg.9991cd9a09f27559a4a7da79dc5edd21.jpg

14-18 February, Timbavati

Just catching up here. Some very nice pics added since my last visit. 

What a shame about your trip. Sounds disastrous from a broken down vehicle perspective. What made it so tough? 

Peter Connan

Thanks @Geoff

Lots and lots of mud did it for most of the vehicles. Lots of worn-out brake pads and a couple of clutches (although both those clutches had done over 440 000 km, so they were probably close to the end anyway). One car had a drowned ECU, but this car is not standard, and it did not have an ECU when it left the factory twenty odd years ago.

None of this had anything to do with my own car though. I removed and dismantled the engine today, and I can't see how the trip had anything to do with the failure either.

Peter Connan

105) Wattled Starling

Lelspreeu Creatophora cinerea

As usual, I don't get good sightings of this bird. This time, the light was terrible although I managed to get reasonably close for this family portrait.

WattlesODP.jpg.26022d753fcc290c94b843ec4daf672f.jpg

15 February, Timbavati

On 13/04/2018 at 5:48 PM, Galana said:

@Peter Connan those raised eyebrows and whiskers around its face sure reminds me of Merlin the wizard but still very cool pictures of its enormous eyes. 

sorry to hear about your battered car. give it lots of tender loving care, and hug it to get it better. :D I talk to my car, thanking it sometimes, in case you are wondering. 

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @Kitsafari

Don't tell anybody, but so do I. Although a pat on the dashboard is the closest I get to hugging...

Peter Connan

An addendum to bird no. 100.

While camping at Audi campsite in Maun, @xelas alerted me to a feeding hornbill in the campsite next to ours.

For years I have known about the interesting mating behaviour of these birds, but this is the first time I have been lucky enough to see it.

The process is that the female finds and enters a suitable hole in a tree. They then "build her in", using guano and possibly mud, so that all that is left is a narrow slot.

The female then moults completely, using her feathers as padding, and lays the eggs, incubates them and takes care of the hatchlings untill they fledge before the male breaks them out again.

During this time, the female and chicks are entirely dependent on the male bringing food regularly. A true team effort!

HornNestODP.thumb.jpg.e9335ea6516af8faaa3a064c430da549.jpg

HornNestODP-2.thumb.jpg.0ccbdee9d7fd5ccf9354de179fab7611.jpg

FeedingHornODP.thumb.jpg.c01539023948c40b0c5b36deb626c482.jpg

FeedingHornODP-2.thumb.jpg.09e0131afc2eb714be197ae5620146fa.jpg

Dave Williams

Nice additions Peter. You have me worried about the Ground Hornbill as I had very much hoped I'd get to see one during our July visit .

Peter Connan

Thank you @Dave Williams

When I said they are quite endangered, i did not mean that the situation has grown suddenly worse over the last few years. Significant effort has been invested in their conservation for at least the last 10-15 years.

I don't have any recent knowledge as my friend who was involved in the project has moved on, but i understood the population had been stabilized to a reasonable extent within the larger reserves.

Great series on the Hornbill, @Peter Connan. Extraordinary behaviour well- captured!

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @PeterHG and @Treepol

106) Greater blue-eared Starling

Groot-blouoorglansspreeu Lamprotornis chalybaeus

BlueearODP.thumb.jpg.dc67df1dcb87d84748c68b823d47aaaf.jpg

BlueearODP-3.thumb.jpg.4231fabd266e79f1736f2bbb52fa398c.jpg

BlueearODP-2.thumb.jpg.24286342a80b356571ea969a2eb50338.jpg

17 February, Timbavati

Beautiful colours in those Greater Blue-eared Starlings

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @lmSA84

excellent behavioural series in post #317