Michael´s Third Year

michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Two from the ISO8000 front - but highly unlikely I will see these birds again this year. We were looking for Rock Nuthatch (failed, saw their nests though) and Blue Rock Thrush (seen, but too far to try for even an ebc) in an old abandoned quarry close to Lake Kerkini, on the foot of the mountains which form the border between Greece and Bulgaria.  A very rainy and dark morning, but still, found two "lifers" for me. (It´s a good thing being a novice birder, lots of lifers around. ;-))

26/E26.) Rock Bunting (Emberiza cia) / Zippammer

Around Lake Kerkini, 18/3. An extremely rare bird in Austria, they like warm, sunny mountan sides. Only two have been seen so far this year, and even in Innsbruck where I live - so there is hope for getting a better photo.

large.5aba836d56a1c_ZippammerKerkini.JPG

27/E27.) Sombre Tit (Poecile lugubris) / Trauermeise aka Balkanmeise

Around Lake Kerkini, 18/3. And here I thought Willow and Marsh Tit are tough to differentiate. To make matters even more complicated there´s a third Tit looking very similar to these two. The black on the chin is much more extensive though.

large.5aba838d03267_BalkanmeiseKerkini.J

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

28/E28.) Greylag Goose (Anser anser) / Graugans

Chiemsee, 24/3/2018. Probably the most common Goose in Middle Europe. Don´t know how popular "The Wonderful Adventures of Nils Holgersson" by Selma Lagerlöf is in the English-speaking world. One of my favourites as a child, a true classic and a love letter to Sweden, which can also be enjoyed by adults not only kids. Whenever I see Greylags I have to think of Nils´ journey together with his feathered surrogate family.

large.Chiemsee_52_Graugans.JPG.e3c43c7ad

large.Chiemsee_51_Graugans.JPG.e8c41fb54

large.Chiemsee_73_Graugans.JPG.c1377ca85

And just because I like this photo (and rarely see this bird) another Redpoll, taken last Sunday.

large.5abbcd95aeff4_BirkenzeisigGaisau25

Dave Williams

Envious of the Redpoll, went looking and failed yesterday! 

michael-ibk

29/E29.) Green Sandpiper (Tringa ochropus) / Waldwasserläufer

Lake Kerkini, 17/3/2018. This one apparently had been taking a nap here and was just waking up - good for me, all my Green Sandpipers so far in Europe have only been seen from much farther away.

large.5abd30c2b3bb8_WaldwasserluferKerki

@michael-ibk, well that Pelican is the most weirdly beautiful looking creature, the last shot is very "Nat Geo". Id never have considered Greece  a place to see anything much, again, shows how much I don't know. But then again, when I was "island hopping" Greece in my 20s, I didn't spend much time looking for Birds! The Red-crested Pochard is a gorgeous photo.

Dave Williams

Are you sure that's a Green Sandpiper Michael, looks a bit more like a Wood Sandpiper  but I hope I'm wrong. Brownish back suggests the latter to me.

michael-ibk

@elefromoz I think Greece is a pretty good birding destination, especially during migration. Islands like Lesbos are quite famous. But I get you completely - I last was in Greece when I was 18 with all my classmates after we graduated from school. Not a single bird around back then. :-)

@Dave Williams

Quite sure. Look at the broadly barred tail, also no supercilium  to speak of behind the eye. 

michael-ibk

30/E30.) Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustico) / Rauchschwalbe

Stausee Reißeck, Carinthia, 30/3/2018. Spring is finally here - Swallows are returning!

large.5ac503db17908_StauseeRauchschwalbe

large.5ac503ccb4462_StauseeRauchschwalbe

michael-ibk

31/E31.) Corn Bunting (Emberiza calandra) / Grauammer

Lake Kerkini, Greece, 17/3. Still around in quite good numbers in the East of Austria (but declining like all meadow birds) but absolutely abundant here in Northern Greece - they were absolutetly everywhere in the fields, and some of them really seemed to like to pose.

large.5ac7a29f4ccfc_GrauammerKerkini.JPG

michael-ibk

32/E32.) Spanish Sparrow (Passer hispaniolensis) / Weidensperling

Lake Kerkini, Greece, 17/3. A close relative of our familiar House Sparrow - the two species hybridise successfully. Occurs around the Mediterranean.

large.5ac8ceda03864_KerkiniWeidensperlin

And just because it was posing so nicely, a Tree Sparrow from today.

large.Gaisau_7_Feldsperling.JPG.5fce830a

michael-ibk

33/E33.) Bluethroat (Luscinia svevica) / Blaukehlchen

Chiemsee, 8/3. One of the most sought-after birds in spring - after they have found their mates they become virtually invisible in the reed, their preferred habitat. Not the most easy bird to get, and looking for them can be a bit frustrating - in a good area (actually I only know one) you can hear them sing all around you but spotting them is another matter. One finally took mercy on me and hopped out onto the road. Already noon and stark light by then, but beggars can´t be choosers.

large.5acba77a40544_ChiemseeBlaukehlchen

I also saw one last week in Carinthia on a rainy Saturday - clearly just migrating through, that spot was not a suitable habitat for them.

large.5acba782da277_StauseeBlaukehlchen.

Edited by michael-ibk

michael-ibk

34/E34.) Reed Bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus) / Rohrammer

Chiemsee, Germany, 8/3. Definitely more accommodating than the Bluethroat, hopping around delightfully close to a hide.

large.5acba7a2ba535_ChiemseeRohrammer2.J

The female - only noticed looking at the photos that it is ringed.

large.5acba7b66ee93_ChiemseeRohrammer4.J

The male was a bit shier, being a proper Reed Bunting and stubbornly staying in the reed.

large.5acba7dc0e5b6_ChiemseeRohrammer5.J

michael-ibk

35/E35.) Little Crake (Porzana parva) / Kleines Sumpfhuhn

Tiebelmündung, Carinthia, 9/3. Rubbish photo but very cool bird to see! This morning I first had thought to have a juvenile Water Rail which was exciting enough for me - but this is a much, much rarer bird in Middle Europe. Their secretive behaviour also makes sure they are not spotted very often.

large.5acba81637ae2_TiebelKleinesSumpfhu

michael-ibk

36/E36.) Garganey (Anas querquedula) / Knäkente

Tiebelmündung, 9/3. For some reason these neat litte ducks have been quite common this spring - last year I saw very few of them. A duck with impressive migration performances - some of them fly as far as Australia!

large.5acba811a3cd5_TiebelKnkente.JPG.f3

large.5acba7fd02009_TiebelKnkente2.JPG.3

Beautiful Gaganey, and really well done with the Little Crake

23 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

Beautiful Gaganey, and really well done with the Little Crake

I could not have put it better myself.

michael-ibk

37/E37.) Eurasian Bittern aka Great Bittern (Botauris stellaris) / Rohrdommel

Stausee Reißeck, Carinthia, 31/3. Proof that anything can pop up anywhere during migration which is why this really is the very best time for birding. We were just taking a walk on this rainy Easter Saturday along the dam lake. Suddenly a bird flew off from the shore, just a few metres next to me - I had not seen it. When I realized what it was I was thrilled - a Bittern! My first ever sighting! So thrilled that I forgot that I should take pictures, take pictures, Michael! So I only got it when it was already quite far away - but still recognizable.

large.5acce8516214b_RohrdommelStausee.JP

I have heard them a couple of times in spring in the Seewinkel area - their loud and not very bird-like call is the reason why they are also called "Reed Ox" in German.

large.5acce84d6611e_RohrdommelStausee2.J

michael-ibk

38/E38.) Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) / Höckerschwan

Stausee Reißeck, Carinthia, 1/4. A little bit easier than the Bittern. ;-)

large.5acce7fd11537_StauseeHckerschwan3.

large.5acce812b0d2d_StauseeHckerschwan4.

large.5acce8225e224_StauseeHckerschwan5.

large.5acce8326880b_StauseeHckerschwan6.

large.5acce7eb13a21_StauseeHckerschwan2.

Peter Connan

Great shots from Seewinkel. Sorry my likes are finished. Again.

michael-ibk

No problem Peter. Nothing from Seewinkel though, haven´t been there yet this year. Fortunately that is about to change ... :-)

lovely close-ups of the swan michael

@michael-ibk Yay! You saw the Bittern! I’m hoping to do a days bird watching in Cyprus to catch the migration but I’ve woken this morning to a sick wife and child so have had to cancel. Fingers crossed Friday will be better - as I have to agree April birding in Europe is worth it

michael-ibk

Thanks, @lmSA84, nothing like your great pictures from last year, but still a very cool sighting. Here´s hoping you can make it to Cyprus!

Peter Connan

Sorry, Chiemsee...

Need to get my brain tested.

:ph34r: