B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

280)Lapland Bunting

News that as many as four had been seen on the local headland came through whilst we were out on the moors of upland Wales on Saturday but I decided to wait until Sunday evening before going to look for myself. By then most "twitchers" would have gone home and with a bit of luck there might be some nice evening light to boot.The gamble paid off, just! There was only one bird left but I had it all to myself for the majority of the time I was there. You have to have patience to wait for a photo opportunity as it foraged for seeds in the uneven ground but occasionally it presented itself well.

Lapland Buntings are a rarity in the UK, only the second time I have seen one, the last being 6 years ago.

48701468078_71c8d3360e_b.jpgLapland Bunting  Calcarius lapponicus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

What a sighting, Dave and I agree: excellent photo as well!

Commiserations on the Merlin! It’s so frustrating. I saw my first one only a few weeks ago on the island of Yell in the Shetlands. They seem quite common there but they never stayed still for me either 

Great sighting and even better snap of it. Congratulations!

The Lapland Bunting is a great sighting, and an excellent photo of it.

Off to the Kruger now? Have a good time there and come back with a full load of BY additions, looking forward to those!

Thanks Peter, leaving within the hour! We, no I'll rephrase that, I am taking a ridiculous amount of gear with me including some things I never use but there's always a first time!

Too late to wish you both a great trip unless you log in sometime so if I have missed you "Welcome back!"

Sat waiting for our connection in Doha, it's past midnight and 35 degrees outside!

Dave Williams

A quick update on Kruger.... it's very, very dry. Those worried about me catching them up need to relax!!!

My favourite sighting so far isn't a bird though, you'll have to wait to see it as the intent is too slow to upload it. All I'll say is you will fall in love when you see it!!

12 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

A quick update on Kruger.... it's very, very dry. Those worried about me catching them up need to relax!!!

My favourite sighting so far isn't a bird though, you'll have to wait to see it as the intent is too slow to upload it. All I'll say is you will fall in love when you see it!!

I think I'd prefer a dry Kruger to a wet UK.

Western Cape is experiencing significant rain right now. But then I don't like photographing in the rain very much.

India too has had record monsoons so I'm hoping the waters will have subsided a bit before I get there in November.

Even the Isle of Man is having floods - hope that @Galana has stocked up on essentials - in cans and bottles.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:19 PM, Soukous said:

Even the Isle of Man is having floods - hope that @Galana has stocked up on essentials

Nice of you to worry Martin.

Just got back last evening to lovely sunshine but the rear of the car did have two cases of Moselle as well as non essential luggage.

All well on the IOM at the moment.

6 hours ago, Galana said:

Nice of you to worry Martin.

Just got back last evening to lovely sunshine but the rear of the car did have two cases of Moselle as well as non essential luggage.

All well on the IOM at the moment.

Pleased to hear it. I guess you don't live on Laxey Road 

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

281) Southern Ground Hornbill

Why this was one of my priority birds to see in the Kruger I'm not sure.

48946048853_c7438bf396_b.jpgSouthern Ground Hornbill by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Ugly critters and you can't even say "Ah" when you see the youngster either!

48946049898_8eca6de2cc_b.jpgSouthern Ground Hornbill by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Wow, @Dave Williams, you have started your Kruger birds with a bang! I imagine there are at least 75 more in the bucket :D!

Dave Williams

@xelas I can honestly say I haven't counted them yet Alex. I do know that to make my target of 500 for the year I had to find 7 or 8 new bird a day which I soon found to be impossible so I kind of lost interest in chasing EBC's or attempting to photograph things from impossible angles leaning across the car whilst in the drivers seat.Think I can manage 75 though!