B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

288)Yellow-throated Longclaw

Biyamiti Weir KNP

I was sold a guiding trip in The Gambia earlier this on the strength of seeing this bird. We didn't then so this made up for it! Why it appealed in the first place I don't know!

48948282082_ed431cbeac_b.jpgYellow-throated Longclaw Macronyx croceus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

289) Green-winged Pytilia

Nr Berg-en-dal Rest Camp

This was only the second I'd ever seen ( the other in Namibia), but in the coming weeks I saw quite a few more.

48947534858_b3d7dc19d2_b.jpgGreen-winged Pytilia  Pytilia melba by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

294) Common Mynah

Spar carpark, Malelane.SA.

I believe this species has grown from escapees and spread across parts of Africa.

I only spotted them twice, here and in one of the rest camps, can't remember which though!

48946782772_fb0e7973e1_b.jpgCommon Mynah by Dave Williams, on Flickr

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

290) Greater Black-eared Starling

You gonna count these twice then?:P

Hard to pick faves but the Melba doe shave a certain cuteness as does the pose of the parrot. Very er, Parrotlike.

Great to see your SA photos, @Dave Williams ! A lot of beautiful shots, like Parrot, Oriole, Oxpecker and many more

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, Galana said:

You gonna count these twice then?:P

Nice to know you are paying attention but this one had particularly dirty ears!

Excellent start to SA. The Black-collared Barbet and the Parrot are beauties

great shots Dave! love that black collared barbet - i've yet to see one. 

Wonderful photos, especially love the Pytilia, such a tricky bird to get.

As of now, I'm going to ignore all your maoning.

Fabulous shots!

Dave Williams
13 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

As of now, I'm going to ignore all your maoning.

Fabulous shots!

Thanks Peter, I wasn't moaning about the opportunities that I took, just the lack of them. I have a grudge match going on here!!l

Dave Williams

297) Marico Sunbird

Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp

I didn't see many Sunbird opportunities, not that many flowers around in the dry parched conditions of the park. 

48953124078_db35c3e1ff_b.jpgSouthern Double-collared Sunbird. Cinnyris chalybeus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

299) Goliath Heron

Seen from the very bottom right to the very top at Parfuri. Surprisingly to me,possibly the most commonly seen Heron species, either that or Grey Heron.

48953498166_6b5f6a9dca_b.jpgGoliath Heron  Ardea goliath by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

301)Larks....I really am uncomfortable with.

Just realised I have labeled the same bird with two different names on my Flickr page. One is right..I think. Not sure which though!

48953483071_410b0a1963_b.jpgSabota Lark  Calendulauda sabota by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I'm going with Sabota due to bill shape

48953671577_3ca27e5526_b.jpgChestnut-backed Sparrow-lark Eremopterix leucotis by Dave Williams, on Flickr