B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

38)Serin

The first opportunity to photograph these gorgeous little birds at close quarters.They only came in to drink, not to feed and they were quickly set upon by the bully wagtails so you had to be quick!

33116307848_17b3a8bcd6_b.jpgEuropean Serin  Serinus serinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and so did they.

33116308348_370501ca59_b.jpgEuropean Serin  Serinus serinus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Great photos from Spain- the Black Wheatear especially.

I think the White Wagtail is fair enough in Spain, but in Birmingham it is Pied :D

Edited by TonyQ

Dave Williams

40)Grey Wagtail

Another seen just the once at this hide, and on only one other occasion. I see them more regularly at home, there again we have more water!

46078435075_a09ed32b3a_b.jpgGrey Wagtail  Motacilla cinerea by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

43) Sardinian Warbler

The last species from our first day in the quarry hide and one that gave me a lot of satisfaction. I spent hours trying to get a decent image when in Corfu last year and failed as they were just too furtive and quick flying from bush diving straight in to cover.

40027537483_80bb11a49a_b.jpgSardinian Warbler  Sylvia melanocephala by Dave Williams, on Flickr

They were quick here too, dashing in to grab food then off again

40027535793_a8907d8251_b.jpgSardinian Warbler  Sylvia melanocephala by Dave Williams, on Flickr

We had quite a lot of visits to try though!

46940414222_2d5d49a2cc_b.jpgSardinian Warbler  Sylvia melanocephala by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Stunning pictures of the Sardinian Warbler, Dave.  You have come back with a lovely selection of birds so far.

Really great photography so far this year!

The 2nd Sardinian Warbler gets my vote. Stunning quality.

Dave Williams

45)Great Northern Diver

A mid week trip to Anglesey,North Wales for some "proper" birding. First stop near Holyead gave us Great Northern Diver reasonably close in, the photo reveals it's sadly tangled up in fishing line.

40060402423_6aa55aaec9_b.jpgGreat Northern Diver  Gavia immer by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

46) Hooded Crow

These two were being very furtive hiding on the roof of a retail outlet in Holyhead. No prizes for guessing where!

Seen regularly in Ireland these were the first `I have seen in Wales.

46301177124_b10780ca06_b.jpgHooded Crow  Corvus cornix by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

47) Barnacle Goose

Moving south to a recent acquisition by the RSPB, the new reserve of Cors Ddyga. A customer of mine who lived nearby died and left the RSPB their biggest legacy of over £18,000,000. I note that nowhere is her name mentioned in acknowledgement other, I'm told, than in the book of remembrance at their HQ. If that was her request fair enough but  otherwise.....

Anyway, it's a huge wetland area that attracts much wildfowl including on this visit two uncommon birds in North Wales.

A single Barnacle Goose

47025008311_c7c3406900_b.jpgBarnacle Goose  Branta leucopsis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

49) Water Rail

We returned to Bangor Pier where we had been earlier in the hope of photographing Red-necked Grebe.  We moved on when it didn't show and by the time we returned it was a tiny dot in the distance having earlier been right below the pier. Too far to even attempt a picture, would have been a lifer but hopefully it might stick around.

Instead we visited a local reserve known as The Spinnies hoping for Common Kingfisher. We failed on that but scored with Water Rail.

46111389825_b23ab56e9e_b.jpgWater Rail  Rallus aquaticus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

22 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

hiding on the roof of a retail outlet in Holyhead.

So even the Hoodies are shy of using those places to eat. Wise birds. I know how they feel.

You certainly had some excellent luck on your outing. You got your Whoopers at last and the Water Rail was almost compensation for dipping on the RN Grebe with that great shot.

Shame about the GNDiver's problem.

Dave Williams

50) Blackbird

Back to Spain for this common species.

33150096798_b32790fe18_b.jpgCommon Blackbird Turdus merula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and the female

46973458222_f40ab455b8_b.jpgCommon Blackbird Turdus merula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams