Pedro´s Rookie Year

pedro maia

There are 2 more birds from last sunday I think I got the right ID but I´ll wait for confirmation to ad them to my counting (I also ad the cropped picture):

This one I think it´s a Great Egret

yxi0BWm.jpg

QVN3YVw.jpg

In this one, I think the one on the left is a Grey Heron, and the two others are cormorants wich I already have:

G3Ik7YZ.jpg

ZHkBSDo.jpg

There were cormorants standing still, like this one:

rcmlBZ8.jpg

And now one that may be a sparrow:

nozS6vi.jpg

HDJWuMr.jpg

These may be gulls, but which?

xqunpMm.jpg

0KLtgSP.jpg

llDuYUl.jpg

STwfNkG.jpg

And these two, after checking in other websites like ebird I don´t have a clue:

wPoVhsB.jpg

ODeWCoB.jpg

GKj5WlS.jpg

gfO0Zbh.jpg

Welcome to the Big Year @pedro maia, this will become very addictive, very quickly.  You have made a great start and looking forward to more.

I think I got this one´s ID:

#15, Black Redstart, 3-2 Salinas do Samouco

GKj5WlS.jpg

Dave Williams

Your Sparrow is a female Stonechat, the one before the male Black Redstart is a White Wagtail, the gull I can't be sure of but I'd guess at Great Black-backed due to the size of the bill but it could also be Yellow-legged or Lesser Black-backed. It's difficult to tell as the wings are underexposed and don't give too much detail away . One for @Galana to look at I think.

and as you suggest: Great Egret and Grey Heron.

10 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Your Sparrow is a female Stonechat, the one before the male Black Redstart is a White Wagtail, the gull I can't be sure of but I'd guess at Great Black-backed due to the size of the bill but it could also be Yellow-legged or Lesser Black-backed. It's difficult to tell as the wings are underexposed and don't give too much detail away . One for @Galana to look at I think.

I had just ID the White Wagtail, a female, thanks for the others (and for this one as well.

I´ll check if I have other pictures of the gull with better details of the wings but I think I don´t.

5 minutes ago, mvecht said:

and as you suggest: Great Egret and Grey Heron.

#16, Great Egret, 3-2 Salinas do Samouco

yxi0BWm.jpg

#17, Grey Heron, 3-2 Salinas do Samouco

G3Ik7YZ.jpg

#18, Stonechat , 3-2 Salinas do Samouco

Female

nozS6vi.jpg

Edited by pedro maia
Correction

I removed the white wagtail, it was my #1.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

One for @Galana to look at I think.

I think the same as you @Dave Williams with slightly more inclination the Lesser Black-backed due to distribution and what I can see of the upper wings.

Good to see a fellow Leopard getting the EBC habit so quickly!:P

1 hour ago, Galana said:

I think the same as you @Dave Williams with slightly more inclination the Lesser Black-backed due to distribution and what I can see of the upper wings.

Good to see a fellow Leopard getting the EBC habit so quickly!:P

Thanks, I don’t have a better picture so I won’t count this one, I’ll see them again for sure.

Leopards rules;).

Yesterday afternoon I went to Cabo Raso, close to Cascais, to see what could I find there and practice a little more, I´m not too satisfied with the pictures and I will need more time to try to ID the few birds I got, there is only one I think I may have the ID and will wait for confirmation, if someone can do ti, the others I´ll try latter:

I think this two may be females European Serin

cUoZbGI.jpg

Also these I think are Lesser -backed Gulls, which I already have but wanted to practice in flight shots

Axz41zw.jpg

jLLXy73.jpg

The birds I have to try to ID (some of them not sharp enough)

0o98RPa.jpg

SMwoBaN.jpg

dtoRJnu.jpg

A couple of pictures of this one

ok59dcK.jpg

BIH0zfm.jpg

G5shfdz.jpg

AUv9eNu.jpg

Rough sea

QeCakbA.jpg

sKGvln5.jpg

19 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

I think it is a Ruddy turnstone

ok59dcK.jpg

BIH0zfm.jpg

G5shfdz.jpg

AUv9eNu.jpg

The bird on the wire could be a stonechat

I think your serine could be a Linnet

I think you are right with your Turnstone 

It is good to see you getting out quite often now!

@TonyQ thanks, I’ll check your ID’s latter, this afternoon I’m going to try another place in the Tejo estuary, this is quite addictive.

Dave Williams

The one below the Stonechat is a Black Redstart, the one after that is a male Linnet as well I think.The Gulls ...I don't usually even try to ID these pre adult plumages. My guess though is Yellow--legged Gull, but it is  a guess. LBB could be equally as good a guess.

Edited by Dave Williams

I agree. 1 & 6 are Linnets.  The rest as others. I am comfortable with Yellow Legged for the immature Gull 2 & 3..

@Dave Williams thanks, the gulls are going to be a nightmare, living close to the sea we have plenty different.

@Galana thanks, I see you are the gulls expert!!

After the ID´s these are the new species:

#19, Linnet, 8-2 Cabo Raso

cUoZbGI.jpg

#20, Yellow Legged Gull, 8-2 Cabo Raso

Axz41zw.jpg

#21, Ruddy Turnstone Gull, 8-2 Cabo Raso

G5shfdz.jpg

By the way, today was well above expectations, I´ve been to a place where I´m going to revisit a few times.

Just an example:

aX9M2Aq.jpg

I have plenty of ID work ahead :).

So yesterday I went with my wife to the Lezíria de Vila Franca de Xira, in the northern part of the river Tejo estuary, those are marshlands (I think), below the river level and protected with a 6 km dam, these are the most fertile agriculture lands in Portugal, it´s not open to the general public unless you get a card at the landowners association, you pay 25 euros and get an access card, valid for 5 years, that allows you to enter by the 3 gates and drive through the gravel roads that gives access to the properties (where you can´t enter), there are lots of birds and it feels a bit like a bird safari, it´s probably the best place in Portugal to photograph birds because they are less shy with the cars than if you´re walking (you can walk if you wish, of course).

Inside there´s also a bird observation center, you can have guided walks around some lagoons, we didn´t do that, maybe some other time.

We spent there a couple of hours and saw really a lot of birds and are planning to return, now I´m in the process of trying to ID them.

These are those I think I was able to ID until now, all confirmations and corrections are welcome to ad them to my counting (some of the pictures were taken by my wife):

1 - Northern Lapwing

ZUbEcRE.jpg?1

wlXsfu5.jpg

2 - Carrion Crow

1GzOLWK.jpg

3 - White Stork

VOsOsjx.jpg

Now my doubts start

4 - Meadow Pipit (or Water Pipit but would bet on the meadow)

GU9ofu9.jpg

bv6M7Bl.jpg

5 - Cattle Egret

0s4soAL.jpg

XNWUYDW.jpg

6 - Corn Bunting

yMfdrqN.jpg

M8BUvbK.jpg

zqBMRWS.jpg

7 - Dunlin

c9FrEb2.jpg

ijaY70n.jpg