#192 - Robin - Erithacus rubecula

Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk, UK. June 2019

Robin

Robin

Robin

and another one, this time from my garden

Robin

Edited by Soukous

Those weather forecasts somehow never turn out right. You still managed to grab quite a few additions even with the high iso's. 

Some very nice additions even if the weather wasn’t great!

17 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Some very nice additions even if the weather wasn’t great!

That's the great thing about birds, there are always some around if you look hard enough

It was such a lovely evening yesterday that I sat down to try and capture the Long-tailed Tits that were flitting in and out of our pear tree.

My timing wasn't great and by the time I had got my camera ready and picked my spot they had moved on elsewhere. Ho hum.

However, we have an old dead Crab Apple tree that I refuse to cut down because birds like it and I did get a couple of hits.

#193 - Chiffchaff - Phylloscopus collybita

My garden, Suffolk, UK. June 2019

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

Edited by Soukous

#194 - Bullfinch - Pyrrhula pyrrhula

My garden, Suffolk, UK.

I was pretty happy with this one as we don't see Bullfinches very often.

Bullfinch

Bullfinch

Bullfinch

#195 - Woodpigeon - Columba palumbus

my garden, Suffolk, UK. June 2019

and then this morning at breakfast my eye was caught by a Woodpigeon gathering nest building materials. I've been pretty lazy about photographing these birds because they are always there, but when the opportunity presents itself.....

Wood Pigeon

Wood Pigeon

Peter Connan

Lovely portraits of that Woodpigeon Martin!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 12:14 PM, Soukous said:

and looks more like a Marsh Tit to me

Me too. The use of artificial feeders is more a Marsh Tit speciality and the cap is glossier. Indeed they could all be Marsh Tits.

A nice haul from what appears to be have been a productive trip.

HELP!

I am struggling to identify this 'duck'. I can't find anything with a white chest patch and a dark eye.

Photographed on the Norfolk Broads

mystery-duck.jpg.8ebe1d0306ec9aad86668d223439a35a.jpgmystery-duck1.jpg.6320078aa602e38a471eb564f6ef3ad6.jpgmystery-duck2.jpg.04855ea3c5888ced6ebd937c09d28143.jpg

Edited by Soukous

7 hours ago, Galana said:

Me too. The use of artificial feeders is more a Marsh Tit speciality and the cap is glossier. Indeed they could all be Marsh Tits.

A nice haul from what appears to be have been a productive trip.

Oh no! Don't say they are all Marsh Tits. I was feeling so elated at having the distinction between the two species. 

Of course I was also hoping I could add the Marsh Tit to my list, but that doesn't help much if I have to remove the Willow Tit. :(

#189 reprise...

I know I have already posted the Great Crested Grebe in my BY, but I couldn't resist sharing these with you.

My excuse the the varying lighting is that i was in a boat that was drifting around as I took the shots.

Just chilling, nothing to see here....

Great Crested Grebe

or is there?

Great Crested Grebe

Oh yes there is

Great Crested Grebe with chicks

chicks sleeping amid mother's plumage. There were actually 3 of them, but i only captured 2 in my shot.

#196 - Canada Goose - Branta canadensis

Norfolk Broads, UK. July 2019

Canada Goose

Canada Goose

#197 - Long-tailed Tit - Aegithalos caudatus

Suffolk, UK. July 2019

Long-tailed Tit

Long-tailed Tit

Peter Connan

Baby birds are generally pretty ugly, but the Grebes seem to be exceptions. Stunning shots Martin!

5 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Baby birds are generally pretty ugly, but the Grebes seem to be exceptions. Stunning shots Martin!

Yes, the baby grebes are actually very distinctive and quite lovely

Lovely shot of the baby grebes. Beautiful birds!

I too always take a delight in young GC Grebes in their Zebra striped pyjamas riding along on mum or dads back.

6 hours ago, Soukous said:

Oh no! Don't say they are all Marsh Tits.

I did specify "could"! Tricky beggars at the best of times.

Now to that Duck or Drake.

Mutations of interbred feral domestic 'ducks' with randy mallard drakes are regular puzzlers these days.

32 minutes ago, Galana said:

Now to that Duck or Drake.

Mutations of interbred feral domestic 'ducks' with randy mallard drakes are regular puzzlers these days.

:lol::lol: The thing is, can I call it a new species?  and if so what?:wacko:

I did see several (maybe 3) birds with the same plumage/markings

@galana once you are in a place with wiffy that is not iffy, I'd really appreciate your verdict on my #127.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, Galana said:

I think so too. Or maybe Shaft-tailed Whydah comes close too.

Sorry. I thought I had with the above. The leg colours worry me with both candidates but I think the head pattern in the female Whydah comes closest.  It's a coin toss I fear.

Them darn hybrid ducks are everywhere. I have some on my walk to the shops. Some sort of cross between Indian Runner and Mallards and no more a new species than your caged Canary.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/identify-this/74982/is-this-a-mallard-please/479383#479383

11 hours ago, Galana said:

Sorry. I thought I had with the above. The leg colours worry me with both candidates but I think the head pattern in the female Whydah comes closest.  It's a coin toss I fear.

Thank you kindly, sorry to be a pest but I have one more.

My other outstanding mystery bird is from #121. I had these as Grey-headed Sparrows, but you were not convinced.

Grey-headed Sparrow

Grey-headed Sparrow

Agree with the previous comments on the Grebes. Lovely shots!

2 hours ago, Soukous said:

My other outstanding mystery bird is from #121. I had these as Grey-headed Sparrows, but you were not convinced.

Hmmm. Having re-read I think I am convinced. Mainly on the Sherlock Holmes basis that 'nothing' else really fits with that yellow bill. ( I think we all agree that the mystery must be a juv Mannikin of some sort.)

But the bad news is that by having to scroll back to get the right page for 121 I overshot to 113.

Would you like to re-think that one? It is not like any Flying Banana I have seen. My money is on Crowned.

cute shots of cute baby grebes piggy-back on parent!