Pedro does it again, 2nd Year!!

pedro maia

#139, 15/2, Cetti´s warbler, Lagoa Pequena

1211651313_BYRouxinolbravo15FEVEILP.jpg.1b701f8c15479240b44d33334769e3db.jpg

A great Calandra Lark. Very worthy effort.:P

michael-ibk

Very nice Swamphen, and always a challenge to get any kind of a shot of a Cetti´s - well done!

Some good birds there in your latest set. The Iberian Magpie is a truly beautiful bird!

1 hour ago, Galana said:

A great Calandra Lark. Very worthy effort.:P

I knew you would like that one :D.

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

Very nice Swamphen, and always a challenge to get any kind of a shot of a Cetti´s - well done!

I´m sure I´ll get a better swamphen at the EVOA hide but I don´t know when I´ll be able to get back there.

And I have another Cetti´s, but with the head less visible.

32 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

Some good birds there in your latest set. The Iberian Magpie is a truly beautiful bird!

I will hopefully get a better picture of the magpie, I saw plenty of them in the Alentejo but wasn´t able to get a decent picture, also because I was sure I would see them again, incredible how perspectives change...

Dave Williams

Some excellent additions especially the Cetti's and Bluethroat.

Last one from pre-lockdown times:

#140, 8/3, Eurasian tree sparrow, Lezíria Vila Franca de Xira

1895127280_Pardalmonts.jpg.fc036a4844bb4f3e1987d8af69c8194b.jpg

And now lockdown species I can use to my BY:

#141, 13/4, Barn swallow, Paço de Arcos

1382044931_BarnSwallow.jpg.25ac29ba82845853067a6cc74d9ff317.jpg

#142, 13/4, Common house martin, Paço de Arcos

991458615_AndorinhadosbeiraisBY3.jpg.2fecebbc30e44d63b6f5cd6170dba6a7.jpg

#143, 13/4, Woodchat shrike, Paço de Arcos

1763585553_PicanoBQ.jpg.443a4f0a75f71ba8cdadf0d133e5592a.jpg

#144, 16/4, Pallid swift, Paço de Arcos

1641082649_Andorinho4.jpg.d617d73629891802efafddd027723b0d.jpg

Doing some maths here, last year at this time I had little over 90, and I reached 144 by the end of june, the state of emergency is due to finish at the end of this month so unless we have other COVID waves I still have chances of reaching my home count goals, even though I’m going to struggle with some species that I can only find in specific places where I don’t know if I’ll be able to go, the same applies to some maritime species, I don’t think boat trips will happen this year, let’s see which can I get from the coast, EBC’s may be in order...

3 hours ago, pedro maia said:

EBC’s may be in order...

They are never out of order!:lol::lol::lol:

#145, 21/4, Sandwich tern, Praia de Caxias

1156717045_Garajau2.jpg.4f254bcbe02e0909dac709fcf240a939.jpg

kudos on getting those shots of the swallow, swift & martin if you were using your P900 @pedro maia

13 minutes ago, Soukous said:

kudos on getting those shots of the swallow, swift & martin if you were using your P900 @pedro maia

Only that I wasn´t, I was using the DLSR so the obvious conclusion is that I have to improve, and truth is I´m getting a bit frustrated, my BIF pictures (and not only those) are not right, always out of focus, the Tern picture was the best of lots of pictures and it´s not even decent...

Of course my camera isn´t a very good one but that doesn´t explain everything.

Impressed with the Cetti's, that is one I have been trying to get for ages but still no luck.

56 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

Only that I wasn´t, I was using the DLSR so the obvious conclusion is that I have to improve

Don't beat yourself up. They are not easy birds to capture in flight, not easy at all. The only sure way to get them - that I have found anyway - is to station yourself near the where they roost. Then you get a chance when they are leaving and when they are coming back. 

17 minutes ago, Soukous said:

Don't beat yourself up. They are not easy birds to capture in flight, not easy at all. The only sure way to get them - that I have found anyway - is to station yourself near the where they roost. Then you get a chance when they are leaving and when they are coming back. 

I know all these are fast birds and not the easiest but I´m struggling also with other easier birds, such as gulls.

@pedro maia there are a couple of "tricks" that will help you getting a bit better BIF (birds in flight) photos when using a DSLR. As naming of same settings in different cameras are different, what is DSLR model you are using?

Edited by xelas

2 hours ago, xelas said:

@pedro maia there are a couple of "tricks" that will help you getting a bit better BIF (birds in flight) photos when using a DSLR. As naming of same settings in different cameras are different, what is DSLR model you are using?

A Canon EOS 800D with a Tamron 100-400 lens, not exactly prime gear.