Faulty starter motor, but I'll get it fixed . Soukous BY 2020

Soukous

1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

Sorry to hear that Martin. Hopefully things take a turn for the better soon!

Me too.

Another overcast weekend with temperatures hovering around 2 degrees did not provide an encouraging environment for venturing out, but being a hardy and dedicated soul I found myself almost alone as I scoured the nearby marshes and waterbodies for the 4 species that will get me to 200.

I was just about to turn around and look elsewhere when I saw a cluster of white shapes in the distance. I had no doubt they were swans and would probably be the same as all the other Swans I had seen, Mute.

Just as well I looked. It was a group of Whooper Swans, 14 of them in fact, bathing and preening at a small pool of water in the middle of a field. 

1 down, 3 to go.

#197 - Whooper Swan - Cygnus cygnus (FTP #90)

Schleswig Holstein, Germany. Nov 2020

Whooper Swans

Whooper Swan

Whooper Swans

Whooper Swan

Whooper Swans

Edited by Soukous

Shortly afterwards I had another moment of excitement.

With thoughts of Horned Slavonians still fresh in my mind I spotted several Grebes. Could I be in luck?

Well yes and no.

I got some lovely views of relaxed Grebes but they were not Horned / Slavonian, they were just Great Crested Grebes in non-breeding plumage.

Great Crested Grebe

Great Crested Grebe

Great Crested Grebe

Another moment of excitement occurred when I saw a Duck behaving in a way I had not seen before. Swimming with its neck almost flat on the water, before diving under.

Sadly it was only a Goldeneye, but again much closer than I had managed before.

Goldeneye

Goldeneye

So, only 1 new listing for me, but I did have a lovely time which is possibly even more important.

Edited by Soukous

Great shots of swans, grebes and duck! Thos Whooper Swans are really beautiful!

4 hours ago, Soukous said:

I did have a lovely time which is possibly even more important.

Absolutely. That's what it should be all about.  "Only" and 'just' are not words I recognise.

Hundreds of Russian White-fronted Geese have arrived in south-east England during the last three days, as part of a major arrival of the species from mainland Europe.

https://www.birdguides.com/news/influx-of-russian-white-fronted-geese-to-south-east-england/

Hopefully they'll still be there in a couple of weeks when I get back

Interesting reading...

Data from 120,000 birdwatchers in 48 countries shows forest birds have expanded their range while area occupied by farmland birds has shrunk

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/03/atlas-reveals-birds-pushed-further-north-amid-climate-crisis-aoe

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have to say that I'm feeling rather blessed at the moment. 

Today was my first day of freedom after my 10 days of isolation after getting back from Germany. That alone is cause to be happy.

To make things even better it was a lovely sunny day; so I decided to take a drive around my patch - 2 or 3 birding spots close to home that I haven't visited for some time.

Right now, Suffolk is hosting a lot of Geese, at least 5 varieties, so my target was to try and pick off a couple that have eluded me so far.

At RSPB Hollesley Marshes there is a lot more activity than the last time I was there. OK, last time I was there was in September; the scrape was bone dry and the viewing platform was closed. Now, after some heavy rains, there is at least some water and the platform is open again.

The geese, however, were not really visible from the platform as they preferred to congregate in an adjacent field. 

From the edge of the field I could see lots of Canada Geese and several Greylags, but neither of the species I was after; either White-fronted or Bean.

I did grab a shot of what I initially thought were Whimbrels in a pool right at the back of the field. My first thought was Whimbrels based on the fact that they were standing tall - and no doubt influenced by the fact that I wanted them to be Whimbrels because they are not on my list yet.

Boo Hoo! 

It seems that they were Curlews. Although this was the first time I have seen several of them together; all my previous sightings have been solitary birds.

Curlews

As I turned to go, a small group (skein?) of geese flew overhead and, without even taking time to ID them, I fired off a few shots.

:D

I was in luck. Although I hadn't seen them on the ground, these were Bean Geese (Tundra) and must have been hidden right at the back.

#198 - (Tundra) Bean Goose - Anser fabalis - rossicus - (FTP #91)

Hollesley Marshes, Suffolk. December 2020

Tundra Bean Geese

Tundra Bean Geese

As I continued my drive I was happy in the mistaken belief that I had nabbed a Whimbrel and had an in-flight shot of some geese which I would ID when I got home.

Next stop was also on the coast, North Warren, between Aldeburgh and Thorpeness.

It didn't look promising as I drove past the viewing platforms to a spot where I could park for free. 

But then, in the distance I could see that one of the fields of the Conservation Area was definitely occupied. 

They were Barnacle Geese, about 200 of them. Good to see, but already on my list.

Barnacle Geese

I did a loop of the whole marsh area, finishing up with a walk back along the road to my car. 

In the distance I saw a pair of Pintails, but they were pretty distant and flew off before I could get a shot. But, there were more of them on the water, and they were much more cooperative.

#199 - Pintail (Northern) - Anas acuta - (FTP#92)

North Warren, Aldeburgh, Suffolk. Dec 2020

Pintail

Pintail

Pintail

Once again, I had left the viewing platform as was waiting to cross the road when I heard some geese overhead. I just had time to swing my camera up and grab half a dozen quick frames. Once again, I took the shots without making an ID, although I did notice some lateral streaking on the breast.

Lady Luck was definitely on my side today. I'd asked a couple of guys at the viewing platform if they'd seen any White-fronted Geese. They said they had not, although there had been lots of them there last week.

I did not need a lot of them, in fact one would be enough. What I actually got was about 6 of them.

Woo Hoo! :D:D

#200 - White-fronted Goose - Anser albifrons - (FTP #93) - (Some call this Eurasian White-fronted Goose and some call it Greater White-fronted Goose.)

North Warren, Aldeburgh, Suffolk. Dec 2020

White-fronted Geese

White-fronted Geese

White-fronted Geese

Very chuffed. I'd nabbed both of the Goose species that I wanted which was remarkable in itself  (I rarely come home with the species I set out to find) although I would not know this until I got home and looked at the images and my day was not finished yet.

Some Skylarks near the beach at Aldeburgh

Skylark

then it was time to head home, with one last stop at Boynton Marshes. 

Stopping there was just a formality really; last time I'd been there the scrape was just mud but I knew that the fields between the farm and the sea were a favourite spot for Geese, and I hoped that I might find some White-fronted. (As mentioned, at this stage I didn't know I already had some shots in the camera.)

There were hundreds of Canada Geese and a good number of Greylag Geese, but no White-fronted.

Canada-Geese

Time to head for home.

But wait, what's that hovering above the reed bed?

Barn Owl

A Barn Owl, hunting. A bit unusual at 1pm in the afternoon, but no complaints from me.

Barn Owl

Barn Owl

Why can't every day be like this?????B)

Edited by Soukous

Congratulations on the double and lovely shots, especially the Barney!

What a great day! Congrats on the 200. I almost thought I had white-fronted geese on Tuesday but it was just the way the sun was reflecting off the Greylags beaks :o

Welcome home. And congratulations on a successful outing and the double century too.

Despite some nice ticks I would rate the Barn Owl the top bird for me.

brilliant BIF shots of the barn owl ! crystal clear. and what I think is lovely light for the peak of the afternoon. 

congrats on the 200th.

12 hours ago, Galana said:

Welcome home. And congratulations on a successful outing and the double century too.

Despite some nice ticks I would rate the Barn Owl the top bird for me.

Absolutely!

7 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

brilliant BIF shots of the barn owl ! crystal clear. and what I think is lovely light for the peak of the afternoon. 

congrats on the 200th.

Low winter sun is often a nightmare for photography but in this instance, despite the Barn Owl flying right in front of the sun it worked out OK. 

Thanks @Peter Connan @Tdgraves @Galana @Kitsafari- I set myself 200 as a revised target so I am very pleased to hit it. At the start of the year I anticipated a much higher total with trips to Extremadura, South India and some part of Africa on the calendar. 

I can honestly say though, that I have got more pleasure from reaching 200 this year than from higher totals in years past. Being pretty much confined to the UK has given me the opportunity to discover a lot more about the birding opportunities close to home and my knowledge of British birds has multiplied manyfold. 

Well done getting to 200.  Always nice when a plan comes together!  Love the Barn owl.

Congratulations on a well-deserved 200! Great shots of that Barn Owl. I've never had the fortune to see one in daylight!

Well done on reaching 200.

You did well with the geese. The Barn Owl is wonderful!

13 hours ago, TonyQ said:

Well done on reaching 200.

You did well with the geese. The Barn Owl is wonderful!

Luck is a wonderful ally

Congratulations on both 200 and some fantastic BIF shots, I too love the barn owl

Congratulations on #200 Martin, well done. That was indeed a terrific birding day you had there! 

Congrats on the double century, great shots of the Barn owl.