A Lesser Big Year - for Kit&Herman 2020

Kitsafari

Congrats, beautiful bird for the century!

Well done on reaching 100 in very difficult circumstances.

The cuckoo is really beautiful.

Peregrines adapt well to city life in the UK also, sometimes nesting on tall buildings. I think they like city pigeons!

Lovely new additions and congratulations on reaching 100 birds.

Dave Williams

Well done on the ton! I read things are not getting easier in Singapore...stay safe both.

@pedro maia @TonyQ @Zim Girl @Dave Williams @Tdgraves @Galana @michael-ibk @Soukous @Peter Connan

Thanks all. 

@Dave Williams it has become pretty challenging in Singapore. our partial lockdown has been extended by another month to June 2, and more restrictions have been imposed (one person out for essential services and heavy fines for not wearing masks). The numbers look awful, and there's still some community spread but hopefully the lockdown for 3 2-week cycles will see the numbers reduce and stabilise. the more restrictive measures allow us to exercise but not to do leisurely stuff during the exercises, so photography is being frowned on (not specifically/spelt out as banned). 

104/ SG104 : Black-browed Warbler, Lorong Halus

An uncommon winter visitor from northern Asia. 

BlackBrowedReedWarble2-Halus.jpg.f754d4820203adf8a880c4bcc0d8f510.jpgBlackBrowedReedWarbler1-Halus.jpg.ac9eef8c60e4550acd989df64193e2a8.jpg

105/SG105: Malaysian Plover, Marina East

I find it hard to tell the Malaysian plover apart from the similar looking kentish plover - one may add the white-fronted plover, but we don't get it over here (i think). the upperparts and wing coverts of the malaysian plover have prominent pale fringes, appearing scaly or mottled.

MalaysianPlover-MarinaEast.jpg.397fb5c0a13d24c3c4f4ef0187d4c5a6.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

106/SG106: Kentish Plover, Marina East

they seem to like the company of their cousins Malaysian plovers, making life so challenging for the likes of me. 

KentishPlover-MarinaEast.jpg.f42d9a57467d09254037bfa5e4944de8.jpg

107/SG107 : Pacific Golden Plover, Sungei Bedok

A flock of them enjoyed the quietness of this river, other than the masked lapwings, little egrets, striated and pond herons, within walking distance to our home. a common winter visitor from northern Asia, at least one of them did show some golden sheen when I finally managed to take a break to see them. 

PacificGoldenPlover-SgBedok.jpg.65a3e7ce5a6b4f08a3ef18af1ff5673c.jpgDSC07477-Edit.JPG.dbe8a28909eccd91d720cca41b467607.JPGDSC07455-Edit.JPG.17695e814bd9c00b60d3a0b639caeda2.JPG

108/SG108 : Buffy Fish Owl, Singapore Botanic Garden

A pair of resident owls in the gardens. The handsome looking owls have been successfully breeding in this vicinity. 

Buffy1-SBG.jpg.2b6fa9b43c3c5e95d94617662187dbf5.jpgBuffy2-SBG.jpg.f39880c1a90bd30f917c007815cecd89.jpg

109/SG109 : Spotted Wood Owl, Pasir Ris Park

The pair of resident wood owls in this park has been breeding very well. 

SpottedWoodOwl-PRP.jpg.89c2290855072329b5959954ecd44b9e.jpg

110/SG110, Eastern Barn Owl, Toa Payoh estate

The owl attracted huge attention just as the coronavirus outbreak took hold in Singapore, but fortunately, or unfortunately for it, it made its appearance before the partial lockdown in early April!

EasternBarnOwl1-ToaPayoh.jpg.4606ba71b571f0a5549286abdde9bec1.jpg134074801_EasternBarnOwl2-ToaPayoh.jpg.13fe061a8fa4896fb7aa0b715814abfb.jpg

111/SG111 : Mangrove PItta, Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park

a couple of mangrove pittas appeared on the main island, surprising the birders since there is only one known resident on a small island off the main island (where there are still mangroves left with almost none left on the main island). The theory is that a huge development across the seas in Malaysia has cleared the mangroves, and the pittas of their habitat and some flew over to check out prime estate.  

MangrovePitta1-BAMK.jpg.3e9d76c1b20c38d39fd2bc106ebe1c2a.jpgMangrovePitta2-BAMK.jpg.6bd63d69b56c9ebb74caa4338d6cf1db.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

Beautiful Owl photos!

Again I am impressed by the number of birds one can find within Singapore area. And by the fact you have been able to get also those rare visitors. Splendid job!

Is there a network or other sort of info that can tell you where and when a rare birds is spotted?

1 hour ago, xelas said:

Again I am impressed by the number of birds one can find within Singapore area. And by the fact you have been able to get also those rare visitors. Splendid job!

Is there a network or other sort of info that can tell you where and when a rare birds is spotted?

@xelas rare birds are mainly by word of mouth but very quickly photos of it will appear on the FB bird group pages,and that sets off a manic scramble  - something to avoid! but sometimes you just can't for a very very rare species. 

More excellent species. Pitta and Owls within walking distance and here is me with the incorrect impression that Singapore is just an island with City Tower blocks.

Dave Williams

I think Singapore claims to be  city in a garden, not a garden in a city! Must admit I love it there and have only scratched the surface. Cracking additions especially the Owls and Pitta!!

michael-ibk

Wonderful what stunning birds you have so close to home Kit!

Kitsafari

Thanks all, I'm always surprised to learn when a rare bird has arrived. There are just over 400 bird species in Singapore, some of them being rare or uncommon, and we are only just past a quarter of that. we have four more to the count and after that, who knows when we will be allowed out birding. 

112/SG112 : Asian Red-eyed Bulbul, Dairy Farm Nature Park

a rather dull but uncommon resident found mainly in wooded areas. 

663329484_red-eyedbulbulDFNP.jpg.084fa63d4d56395df3b32e92e37abc86.jpg

Kitsafari

113/SG113 : Red-whiskered Bulbul, Changi Business Park

An uncommon resident species in Singapore and often found in a flock. Birders from HK often laugh at our obsession  in finding red-whiskered BBs as they are very common over there. But finding these songsters here is harder; poachers are always waiting to snare them to sell them for a song. 

1730301597_redwhiskeredbulbul_cbp.jpg.9586a36864a8857a13e63567ad7e987f.jpg1508912076_redwhiskeredbulbul.cbp-2.jpg.30b762f4f6d1851f5c0cb4ec527fefac.jpg

Kitsafari

114/SG114: Large-tailed Nightjar, Chinese Business Park

This is a resident species, and this particular bird is usually found in its favourite roost among low bamboo branches at this quiet spot. 

1714143528_largetailednightjar-cbp.jpg.90a06306c7b33f5491d46202d7ecaf28.jpg

Kitsafari

115/SG115 : Tiger Shrike, Pasir Ris Park

This is an uncommon migrant but also seen quite regularly in various mature parks. 

1513814566_Tigershrike--2-prp.jpg.1cb37fdd4c4db69f53c1efac9c3b1937.jpg163068064_Tigershrike--prp.jpg.06fdb7e2ecc6ff5e4cc8b6285e5d0d67.jpg

And that is it from us both now we're entering the quiet period with the last migration season over, and the next to start only in end September. With our travel plans to South Africa in June and August cancelled, we have no further trips planned for the year. who knows what the last six months of the year will bring? 

Edited by Kitsafari

Extraordinary collection of local birds. International travels might be not coming back soon but local ones will open, so much is known from other countries already. Birding is (or should be) something that requires social distancing anyway, and wearing a facial mask does not impede birder. Therefore, I am looking forward to see the second quarter of the local birds in due time. 

Over one hundred without leaving home is highly commendable and also enviable.

All plans are on hold. Stay safe.