PC's apologetically late and small year.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @michael-ibk, @Tdgravesand @Galana

Tracy they basically live around here for at least 6 months of the year. I understand they are local migrants though.

You may not have the quantity this year but the quality is all there, congrats on the century!!

Well done getting to 100 - great picture of the bishop!

Thank you very much @Zim Girl

101) Rose-ringed Parakeet

Ringnekparkiet

Psittacula krameri

Rosy.jpg.273011801f2daf16ef69906a5eeb2fdf.jpg

1 November, Home

Edited by Peter Connan

102) Thick-billed Weaver

Dikbekwewer

Amblyospiza albifrons

ThickBill.jpg.b4f5b006a3b04059335671ec9b1b2987.jpg

3 November, Bonaero Park Dam

103) White-rumped Swift

Witkruisswael

Apus caffer

WhiteRump.jpg.2eff71ee15e3b48947c9c72b21e0056b.jpg

WhiteRump-2.jpg.792ebad4888cd00879eb4d955f8a7675.jpg

25 October, Home

104) Yellow-billed Egret

Geelbekwitreier

Egretta intermedia

ybe.jpg.fad4bf96155d6cf4df1c8cd226771f15.jpg

105) Yellow-billed Duck

Geelbekeend

Anas undulata

Yellowbill.jpg.d93d3e01b173fe9f23a0e6a4edf049dc.jpg

106) Red-throated Wryneck

Draaihals

Jynx ruficollis

Wryneck.jpg.4709270a0011df6ff774abea7e628657.jpg

25 October

Wryneck-2.jpg.bd24a2b1a1b4e3a251e2c763c2951cd8.jpg

Wryneck-3.jpg.8fe37cc7782ad0d3c1622aa0fb650492.jpg

1 November, Home

It looks like your local park is very productive @Peter Connan

i’ve never seen a wryneck - we may have to drop in the next time we are passing! :ph34r: however I feel this is now a long way off. Have officially given up on our January trip after last nights announcement, as I can’t believe our government will relax the ban now that you are entering your second wave....

p.s. I hope Mrs Connan is on the mend - please pass on our best wishes 

@Tdgraves, I now suspect that international travel for the foreseeable future will probably depend on the availability of an effective vaccine, but I cannot wait for your next visit, as also all my other Safaritalk friends.

At this time of year, the Wryneck can be heard from my home almost every day, but seeing it on the ground is a pretty scarce event. Normally it sings from the very top of a tree.

Thank you very much for your kind wishes. She has just minutes ago emerged from the theater after a follow-up operation. However, she has been walking (with assistance) a little further each day. She is still partially paralyzed, and according to the neurosurgeon this will last for several months if not permanent.

Congratulations @Peter Connan on reaching #100 ... and on recovering your almost lost data. Beautiful birds and photos, as always. 

Good thoughts and wishes to Mrs Connan for her continued progress.

Lovely to see Wrynecks. (My first ever SA bird, seen from the Airport Game Lodge window on our first morning.)

10 hours ago, Galana said:

Good thoughts and wishes to Mrs Connan for her continued progress.

Lovely to see Wrynecks. (My first ever SA bird, seen from the Airport Game Lodge window on our first morning.)

Not fair!

16 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

i’ve never seen a wryneck

Me neither, at least not knowingly. Although who knows what birds I saw before I started taking a keener interest in them. :rolleyes:

Very pleased that Mrs C is making progress towards recovery. The last thing anyone needs on top of this b***dy virus is another medical issue to deal with.

Must be a tough time for you & family. 

I do suspect that the secret to seeing the Wryneck is to know it's call. It is a relatively secretive bird when not calling, and so easily overlooked. But the call is distinctive and relatively easy to remember, and the bird's behaviour when calling makes it easy to see at that time.

Thank you @Soukous. Certainly it is not an enjoyable experience. The worst is not knowing how things are going, but at least one of us can see her daily. In a lot of other places that is not possible, and I really feel for those people. An internet friend had a stroke last week, and his wife has been unable to see him ever since...

Getting remotely back on topic, my worst Big Year so far was the second, in which I only got 168 birds. I had actually hoped to beat that this year, which should be possible if I had a good day at either Marievale or Zibulo, but right now I'm about 20 birds short and (even though I know it's pointless) I am not prepared to go that far away until I know she is stable and out of the ICU.

4 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

I do suspect that the secret to seeing the Wryneck is to know it's call.

Or get lucky and book a room at Airport Lodge to emerge bleary eyed after a good sleep and find one feeding on the lawn.

1-ZAAAF.JPG.918bf077251a2a0f2f3d0ad5f3f4fb03.JPG

3 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

Not fair!

All's Fair in love, war and birding!:P

10 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

I am not prepared to go that far away until I know she is stable and out of the ICU.

Absolutely.  It's the taking part that counts and not the result. Good wishes and apologies for the hi jack.

2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I am not prepared to go that far away until I know she is stable and out of the ICU.

That is completely understandable. First things first. I'l add my wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

Thank you very much @Galana(and no apology necessary) and @PeterHG

107) Red-headed Finch

Rooikopvink

Amadina erythrocephala

Rooikopvink.jpg.8e52e68b8be7029573424f83ab38ad02.jpg

Rooikopvink-2.jpg.753a3f0aadd79122ccacd706e3ec7b7e.jpg

25 October, Home