Sharon's second time around

shazdwn

So this year my aim is to beat my first year total of 200, sounds simple enough right? I will also be keeping a Northern Territory (NT) count.  

On Sunday I managed to photograph two species that were not on my Big Year list last year - but as I refuse to start the year with an ebc sorry you don't get to see them (well at least not until December :ph34r:).  So instead I will start with this - which is at least a significant improvement on last year's image of this bird.

1/NT 1 - Brolga - Leaning Tree Lagoon, NT Australia - 2/1/21

528165272__03A2672layers-Copy.jpg.1db66716e27d3048e72e5cbdecc98361.jpg

Brolgas are known for their elaborate courtship dance, with much jumping, flapping of wings, strutting, head nodding and throwing of vegetation.  At one point I thought I had gotten lucky and was in the right place at the right time, but all that happened was a couple of quick jumps and one bit of weed thrown.  

1651788360__03A2653flathighres-Copy-Copy.jpg.cee11b189d8ccc732d3ceaf6eb2f2bc9.jpg

Edited by shazdwn

And one from my backyard

2/NT 2 - Double-barred Finch - Darwin, NT, Australia - 1/1/21

982450909__03A2530flathighres-Copy.jpg.44323fbec9461f1d5d655d612cb9cd17.jpg

Kicking off with some great photos. That first one of the Brolga is stunning! What a beautiful bird.

Good to see that you are in again, and with a great start.

I look forward to seeing lots of Australian birds.

Welcome back again.

Nice birds. Very smart Finch.

Great start, I'm always envious of your colourful finches.

Welcome back Sharon, I´m looking forward to your Australian collection. Love the finch. "Brolga" - what a weird name for a Crane. It is a Crane, right?

5 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

"Brolga" - what a weird name for a Crane. It is a Crane, right?

Yes it is a crane. The name is derived from what it is called in one of the aboriginal languages. 

love the finch - and the brolgas are awesome. great birds to start with. 

Dave Williams

Glad you clarified the Brolga as my first thoughts were envy of seeing a Crane!  

Peter Connan

A wonderful start! Welcome back.

So we headed out of town on the weekend for a friend's son's 21st birthday party.  It just happens that a few days before there was a report of star finches in the exact area we were going to - an unusual sighting and what would be a lifer for me.  So in goes the camera (not that it wouldn't have anyway) and off we go.  

On the way we found this 

3/NT3 - Wedge-tailed Eagle - Marrakai region, Northern Territory Australia - 9/01/21

230368390__03A2728-Copy.jpg.ec229a25e224e7d7ddb0c893768ca1ec.jpg

We arrived with a couple of hours to spare before the party started, so I figured we may as well go check out the road where the finches had been seen.  It was noon, 34 degrees C and about 80% humidity so I wasn't expecting on finding anything much...

... but surprise, surprise we did :D

4/NT4 - Star Finch - Douglas Daly region, Northern Territory, Australia - 9/01/21

_03A2798-Edit - Copy.jpg

Then hubby goes "what's that on the post over there"?  What was it? Only lifer number 2...

Full disclosure - this image was taken the next morning but its a better photo so I am using it

5/NT5 - Horsfield's Bushlark - Douglas Daly region, Northern Territory, Australia - 10/01/21

1839484310__03A2970-Copy.jpg.1171bf051dc106135eabd8d820febc11.jpg

Dawn came next morning and I considered just rolling over and staying in bed - but another potential star finch sighting awaited so I dragged myself out on the road.  We did spot a couple of finches again, but back lit and distant so no new photos worth sharing.  Along the way we also saw plenty of these singing their hearts out

6/NT6 - Golden-headed Cisticola - Douglas Daly region, Northern Territory, Australia - 10/01/21

440805596__03A2844-Edit-Copy.jpg.30090d27bbb44285b13a702a5436a781.jpg

This was an unexpected, but happy, find

7/NT7 - Red-backed Fairy-wren - Douglas Daly region, Northern Territory, Australia - 10/01/21

_03A2902 - Copy.jpg

Not a lifer but one that didn't make it onto my list last year

8/NT8 - Australian Bustard - Douglas Daly region, Northern Territory, Australia - 10/01/21

_03A2908 - Copy.jpg

and just one more for now

9/NT9 - Brown Falcon - Douglas Daly region, Northern Territory, Australia - 10/01/21

_03A2951 - Copy.jpg

A worthwhile trip. Two lifers can't be bad. The Star Finch is aptly named. A real Star.

Two lifers when going to a birthday party and another batch of beautiful photos, too! That was a rewarding weekend trip!

23 hours ago, shazdwn said:

It was noon, 34 degrees C and about 80% humidity

Yuk! Thank goodness the birds made it all worthwhile. Fantastic Bustard shot.

we just watched a documentary about raptors in Australia  - and the wedge-tailed eagle is so impressive! it's huge and those feet and claws are scarily big and strong. 

the brown falcon is a pretty raptor. 

lovely additions and ticks.