Sharon's second time around

shazdwn

And now one that will be familiar to many of you - there are a couple of small feral populations of these birds

25/NT25 - Helmeted Guineafowl - Pine Creek, Northern Territory, Australia - 29/01/21

1087031478__03A3267-Copy.jpg.1bc3214cc0bd512bdf037861f8da9ca9.jpg

And a few that are more familiar to me (in that they are found in Darwin as well as Katherine)

26/NT26 - Little Corella - Katherine, Northern Territory, Australia - 30/01/21

568936963__03A3529-Edit-Copy.jpg.2e78bd66392508013d0b203deac5c00c.jpg

27/NT27 - Long-tailed Finch - Katherine, Northern Territory, Australia - 31/01/21

_03A3405-Edit.jpg.a25b1439b6517882debbe7526e745867.jpg

28/NT28 - Varied Lorikeet - Katherine, Northern Territory, Australia - 30/01/21

249862323__03A3441flathighres-Copy.jpg.83761f42c329de26382eda4a1e6aa88f.jpg

Great additions. The Gouldian is quite something, what a beautiful bird. Also really like hte Pigeons - stunning, and I don´t say that very often about Pigeons.:)

2 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Great additions. The Gouldian is quite something, what a beautiful bird. Also really like hte Pigeons - stunning, and I don´t say that very often about Pigeons.:)

We do have some pretty cool pigeons, and finches :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

And all I got was this VERY heavily cropped EBC.  

Don't kid yourself, @shazdwn. It might be a heavily cropped image but it surely is not anywhere near the EBC status ;)

Excellent photos, colourful birds, just what the doctor described to a depressed EU birder! 

Katherine ... is it where the Katherine Gorge is?

38 minutes ago, shazdwn said:

And all I got was this VERY heavily cropped EBC

some terrific additions Sharon. Like Michael said, your Gouldian Finch may be heavily cropped but it is by no means an EBC.

Some great results from your trip. I echo the thoughts and observations of the others.

Two names jumped off the page.

How did the Apostle bird get its name? And for that matter a Partridge Pigeon? Could they not make their mind up?

32 minutes ago, xelas said:

Katherine ... is it where the Katherine Gorge is?

Indeed it is - here is a view of the gorge I took to help brighten your winter a bit more

_03A3628-Pano-Pano-Edit - Copy.jpg

Thank you @michael-ibk @xelas@Soukous@Galanayou are kind to say so.

28 minutes ago, Galana said:

How did the Apostle bird get its name? And for that matter a Partridge Pigeon? Could they not make their mind up?

Well according to Wikipedia "Apostlebirds often travel in groups of about 12; for this reason they were named after the Biblical apostles, the twelve chief followers of Jesus Christ"  Although I don't remember seeing a group of 12, 3 or 4 maybe but oh well.  

As for partridge pigeons, I do not know.  I do vaguely remember hearing a story about them not being able to decide but I have no idea if it was true or not :P

A beautiful and colourful collection! Great photos of many of them. I agree with the others about the striking pigeon. A joy to see your additions!

Beautiful photos of beautiful birds!

@shazdwnwow, gorgeous additions, you sure get some nice birds up there. I really like the photos of the Banded Honeyeater and the Varied Lorikeet, they seem to be on the same Grevillia, very pretty. 

Dave Williams

I can understand your delight but it's a vote for the Pigeons from me too! I guess the typical feral pigeon that are so common here in the UK can be drab looking cross bred affairs but some have stunning colours in their plumage. Yours though have special features that set them apart!

so loving your shots of the australian birds! gouldian finch plus the pittas (and fairywrens) remain top of my list there.  

A vote for the Crested Pigeon -beautiful

It is a treat looking at your birds while it is below freezing outside...

Thanks everyone - I've been busy with other things lately but hope to get you some more Aussie birds this weekend ^_^

This year we are having the best wet season we have had for a while, and while that is great it does mean a lot of rainy days.  Yesterday I had a great idea to head out to Fogg Dam for a picnic dinner as I had heard the water was overtopping the dam which usually means waterbirds feeding.  Well it was grey on the way out and I managed just one new species before the rain hit and our picnic dinner was rescheduled to the living room.  

29/NT29 - Little Egret (in breeding plumage) - Fogg Dam, NT, Australia - 13/02/21

2091109501__03A3935-Copy.jpg.bb7c1a82703ffa960cc728502e5e341c.jpg

Here are a few from our native umbrella tree in the front yard - I just counted six species feeding on it over a period of about half an hour, no wonder it is my favourite tree.  

30/NT30 - Brown Honeyeater - Darwin, NT, Australia - 14/02/21

_03A4064-Edit - Copy.jpg

31/NT31 - White-gaped Honeyeater - Darwin, NT, Australia - 14/02/21

_03A4231 - Copy.jpg

32/NT32 - Little Friarbird - Darwin, NT, Australia - 14/02/21

_03A4180 - Copy.jpg

33/NT33 - Red-collared Lorikeet - Darwin, NT, Australia - 14/02/21

1159589827__03A4141-Copy.jpg.78d4f1ac5affac9a9439d8861f594284.jpg

what a tree! it's a sure keeper. 

Lovely shots.