2021......a Tortoise in lockdown hibernation?

Dave Williams

My issue is that I want something smaller. On my next trip I will take two cameras (R5 and 5DIV), my 400mm, 24/105mm and a mid-range lens but don’t want to have to carry another large lens like the 100-500. But then I would also like the mid-range lens to be a substitute (although less ideal) bird lens with a teleconverter for when I can’t carry the 400mm, for example when we travel to Bali and only take carry on luggage. That’s why I thought the 70-200 would be ideal. Maybe the EF version is the way to go, or maybe I’ll just stick with the 70-300 and crop when needed (certainly a cheaper option as I already own it).

The design of the 100-500 in that you can only attach a teleconverter for part of the focal length is just bizarre. 

Dave Williams

I went out this morning full of anticipation at the near certainty of photographing Dippers but ...I dipped on the Dipper. So left with nothing else, this 56) Canada Goose was a welcome sight!

51083802136_19dc7cd94f_b.jpgCanada Goose by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Just now, Dave Williams said:

this 56) Canada Goose was a welcome sight!

there's a first time for everything :o

Dave Williams

A poor start due to yesterday's Dipper failure soon upturned with news from the Great Orme that there was a male Lapland Bunting in near full breeding plumage. It was flat calm too but there were also quite a lot of people about, some for the bird others just out to enjoy the sunset. The male was not too confiding but I got a shot of it for the record.

51084698461_ea372fb49c_b.jpgLapland Bunting by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Two new Snow Buntings had arrived and were within metres of the Lapland too.

50999769659_5fc0de29b4_b.jpgSnow Bunting by Dave Williams, on Flickr

and as I'd been warned I needed the 2x TC on the 500 it was heavy gear yesterday.

Still had the lens attached when I spied a 57)Tawny Owl fly in to a nearby tree as I ate dinner. I shot upstairs, yes to the bathroom, where else when you get excited?, and the Owl sat and posed nicely while I tried to work out what I could get away with in really poor fading light.

51015492080_f36df8918c_b.jpgTawny Owl by Dave Williams, on Flickr

@shazdwnThere is a new firmware update for the R5 if you look at the canon site.

Edited by Dave Williams

Glad you got your Tawny at last. I hope they stick around.

But I cannot get rid of the mental image of taking dinner in Chez Williams and the host excusing himself from the table  by saying he must visit the bathroom. What must guests think when he lets his soup grow cold?

Dave Williams

Envious of seeing those exotics in distant places ...not me. Here's one from the garden this afternoon. Am I going to count it? You bet I am and if you disagree you probably haven't ever have a 58)Plum-headed Parakeet in the garden!!!!

51001616049_c07f4221bc_b.jpgPlum-headed Parakeet by Dave Williams, on Flickr

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Am I going to count it? You bet I am and if you disagree you probably haven't ever have a 58)Plum-headed Parakeet in the garden!!!!

Why not? I counted this in 2017BY and it wasn't even my own garden.

1-DSCN0976.JPG.fede5611a12d37fbdc52491e3c941a64.JPG

Gorgeous tawny owl and thanks for the firmware tip

The bolt to the bathroom was worth it, gorgeous little Owl.

Gorgeous garden shots and of course you should count the parakeet! Every visitor counts this year. Excellent shot of the Tawny Owl with eyes wide open! 

Beautiful picture of the Tawny Owl.  I would love to see one of them from my bathroom!

Have you installed a comfortable seat (not toilet seat) in the bathroom yet, given the amount of excellent viewings the birds have given you from that window?

Super shot of the owl and beautiful parakeet. I'd be happy to count it too. EBC, you know, especially for a year such as this. 

Dave Williams
5 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

Have you installed a comfortable seat (not toilet seat) in the bathroom yet, given the amount of excellent viewings the birds have given you from that window?

Super shot of the owl and beautiful parakeet. I'd be happy to count it too. EBC, you know, especially for a year such as this. 

Unfortunately it's not an option...I'll have to post a shot of my bathroom hide and it's other rather excellent feature!!!!!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

and it's other rather excellent feature!!!!!

Not a 360 degree swivel throne one hopes!

Dave Williams

I have been entertained by the Chiffchaff in the garden but while busy photographing that a flyover 59)Peregrine Falcon was a new addition.

608670616_PeregrineFalcon.jpg.b65a10b29a55a627979b0b211e6dc6bf.jpg

Peter Connan

Wonderful photos Dave!

Thought I saw you in Balule the day before yesterday?

Skillie.jpg.6f7dabf3de22ae1c4183a00f30f1ebf4.jpg

Edited by Peter Connan

Dave Williams
1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

Wonderful photos Dave!

Thought I saw you in Balule the day before yesterday?

I wish Peter!

Dave Williams

Incredibly we have been free to travel anywhere in Wales for a couple of weeks but like a captive animal that doesn't realise it's free to go when the cage door opens I still haven't ventured more than the previously designated five mile limit! Not a fear of Covid... I have been double jabbed now so should be protected....no, Easter crowds followed by a return of horrible cold and windy weather has put me off venturing too far.

Yesterday though I wandered , again locally, to try to figure out the best settings for birds in flight on the Little Orme headland. I failed pretty miserably so it's back to the drawing board but I did get an unexpected bonus bird.

59) Northern Gannet.

_G7A6898-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg.13d79a3f7134ebcceb2e3e332080dc26.jpg

Dave Williams

On returning home I spotted a pair of 60)Siskin on my sunflower feeder. A rare visitor to the garden so I grabbed the shots and was grateful for them despite the locationSiskin-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg.6f09a83091bd990f17581df5e6d737a1.jpg!

michael-ibk

Love the Tawny - I have never seen one!

wow on the falcon and the siskin.

Dave Williams

61)Goldcrest.  Right outside our house too. It's a bit of a bogey species for me so I was delighted to spot this one hunting low down in a Sycamore tree, searching those sticky flowery bits that insects are attracted to.

51109006107_073f40ff74_b.jpgGoldcrest by Dave Williams, on Flickr

It just shows what can turn up closer to home whether we are locked down or not. Nice one.