mvecht`s not so big third year 2021

mvecht

It has been a very slow start to the year. Denmark does not have much sun during the winter and this winter has been below average.

Covid 19 has had an interesting effect. Although we are not allowed to congeregate more than 5 people at a time we are allowed and encouraged to spend time outdoors. This means thar people not normally venturing outdoors are doing so and during weekends it is hard to find a place for proper birdwatching!

I have decided to take part of the BY this year knowing that I will have no chance to win. Currently Denmark has some of the strictest travel regulations in the world so certainly nothing planned for the first half of the year. Maybe the second half of the year will allow for some travel?

Last year I did 121 species in Denmark so my main target is to beat that. The other main target is my side competition with Galana for highest IOM (Isle of Man/Island of Møn) count.

My wife and I will move to the small Island of Møn in mid February and I will be spending quite some time this year getting to know the Island and its birding spots.

One target will be to get some good Peregrine Falcon shots. Last year the Island hosted 3 of the 15 breeding pairs in Denmark.

Welcome. It's not the winning but the taking part that counts.

Just wheel up your sofa to the window, pour a drink and go for it. Oh, nearly forgot. Have the camera nearby as that will help quite a bit.

Today was a partly sunny day so I went to the town of Elsinore (known for Shakespeare`s Hamlet)

I had 3 target birds that have been in the harbour area for quite some time.

#1 Rock Pipit (Anthus petrosus probably subspecies littoralis)

Elsinore using a Canon 70d with a Tamron 150-600mm G2 lense.

Rockpipit_8640.JPG.9c66d061714ff146da34aa724eac11d3.JPG

The second target was Water Pipit.

It has been in the area together with 5 Rock Pipits for several weeks.

However I am not quite sure if this is a Water Pipit or a light coloured Rock Pipit.

Maybe @Galana@michael-ibkor others can comment?

Apparently the two species are very difficult to tell apart. Especially in winter.

1403259979_Pipitsp_8789.JPG.cfebe074d8c3bfd01698dd04662a0451.JPG

381652254_pipitsp_8778.JPG.7155710d09e0ecb6556721bdf093a9e8.JPG

Dave Williams
12 minutes ago, mvecht said:My wife and I will move to the small Island of Møn in mid February

Try living in Wales for travel regulations...we are only allowed to use a car for essential journeys such as a weekly visit to a shop or in a medical emergency etc. Leisure travel is not allowed even for a short journey!

I had to read your new home destination a couple of times...I thought you were moving to the Isle of Man!!!  Good luck in your move anyway.

The third target was #2 Grey Wagtail (Motacilla cinerea).

An uncommon breeder in Denmark but a slightly more common winter visitor.

A little distant but you have to take what you can get:DBjergvip_8693.JPG.3f602e682d779ad503644fcd2ec93717.JPG

Dave Williams

Are you sure that's a Water Pipit? I have only ever seen one once so I'm no expert but it looks more like a Meadow Pipit. I'll let @Galanaput me right!

#3 Rook (Corvus frugilegus) still in Elsinore. A very common bird in Denmark but it is rare that I get this close and with good light.

Quite a messy eater!

Rook_8653.JPG.081094b23c48c41d054234b5177c6187.JPG

@Dave WilliamsHi Dave, as you can see I have not numbered the "Water Pipit" as I am not sure on the ID of the bird. Water Pipit would be a lifer for me.

#4 Hooded Crow (Corvus cornix) are abundant in Denmark outnumbering Carrion Crow by 100:1 in the entire country and by probably 5000:1 in my area.

1835243574_Grkrage_8657.JPG.efb82e65e1e60f6dc93edb244ee44d4f.JPG

#5 Jackdaw (Coloeus monedula). Very common in Denmark

Jackdaw_8734.JPG.2a89d9cf314fd5bf898fb9a2fff00a43.JPG

It is good that you are taking part. Most of us will be getting low totals this year I think:)

Lovely photos to start us off 

#6 Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)

still in Elsinore, Denmark 

1687515276_MuteSwan_8698.JPG.3091e7d97de750e7fa1b0f0c5b7f0a12.JPG

The fourth target of the day was #7 Northern Gannet (Morus bassanus)

location Hornbæk west of Elsinore. In recent years this has become a very good place to see Gannets close to the coast.

Sule_8928.JPG.df10b20d22d38bf8863b048f4f266da9.JPG

Sule_8977.JPG.8eb3d29d924205a8bcf228e7e64af307.JPG

Good to see you back here and with great shots in your first batch! A Water Pipit would be a lifer for me too, but, like you say, I feel it is a lighter Rock Pipit. It does have the yellowish tinge of the latter and as far as I can see the underside of the Water Pipit should be whiter. But I am certainly no expert on pipits..;)

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

But I am certainly no expert on pipits..;)

Me neither but if pressed would go along with @PeterHG's view. There should be more contrast between the back and the belly on a Water Pipit. I think your bird is a pale Rock although as long as the bird was not on Island of Mons I would accept King Penguin if you wish.:rolleyes:

A great start whatever...

Good to see you back - looking forward to observing the IOM challenge

Welcome back @mvecht. Some really good shots to start off with.

13 hours ago, mvecht said:

The other main target is my side competition with Galana for highest IOM (Isle of Man/Island of Møn) count.

My wife and I will move to the small Island of Møn in mid February and I will be spending quite some time this year getting to know the Island and its birding spots.

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I had to read your new home destination a couple of times...I thought you were moving to the Isle of Man!!!  Good luck in your move anyway.

Excuse my dimness, but just where you going? Will @Galanabe there too??

Pipits are very confusing, Im still torturing myself over the photos I took in 2019.

Great Gannet shots, must have got nice and close.

@elefromoz, it's two different islands with synonymic names.

@elefromozMøn is a small Danish Island of the main Island of Zeeland (home to the capital Copenhagen).

It is about 1/3 the size of the Isle of Man and about 1/9 the population. It is not quite as isolated as Isle of Man as it has both a Causeway and a bridge connecting it to Zeeland and Copenhagen is only app 1 hour away by car. Last year I was noticing that Galana was doing an IOM count and that inspired me to make a friendly challenge to Fred for the highest IOM count.

The Gannets get very close to shore in this particular area. It started some 5 years ago. Prior to that they were always far from the shoreline.

@Galana @PeterHGThank you for the valuable input on the Pipit. I will leave it as a Rock Pipit.

Edited by mvecht
missing content

aaahhh, yes I see. Had a bit of a sticky-beak and it looks a nice place to be spending some time. In fact, I had looked it up previously having seen photos of those beautiful cliffs. Will be interested how the birding goes there for you.

Good to see you back Michael! That´s a great Gannet shot. FWIW I agree with the others, that´s not a Water Pipit, sorry.

After a cold spell it is back to rainy and windy!

Birding from the livingroom gave #8 Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris).

When I was a child they were not so common but now they are abundant and very visible in the wintertime when they move around to find berries.

Sjagger_9030.JPG.b504c3a1ca2f3a58dbd5652160c5379f.JPG

Sjagger_9023.JPG.3925d21db6c31ca207d3d92e22b2544a.JPG

Sadly Fieldfares and Redwings do not visit our garden, not enough berries.