mvecht`s not so big third year 2021

mvecht

My wife and I took a walk along the beach at the Northwestern corner of the Island.

#111 (IOM 101) Dunlin (Calidris alpina). An odd plumage for the time of year.

ryle_4376.JPG.84feebda7ac068156e737db93a5bdea9.JPG

Amongst many Bramblings and Chaffinches I found

#112 (IOM 102) Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis). Unfortunately it was quite shy!

snespurv_4414.JPG.ab0b6fffdaf484694a07f8dc6000b9bc.JPG

Dave Williams

Congrats on an island 100! Unusual for Snow Bunting to be shy too!

@Dave WilliamsI agree on the shyness. It is probably because it is together with a lot of Bramblings (although they do not tend to be shy either).

However the Bramblings and Chaffinches are feeding on the ground so that may explain why the are more shy than normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Today we had beautiful weather so we went for a walk on one of the local beaches. Fairly quiet birdwise but I got a few shots of a bird that has been very elusive this year.

#113 (IOM 103) Greenfinch (Chloris chloris)

gronirisk_4450.JPG.6064152b27e2837c69826712a5aab891.JPG

gronirisk_4449.JPG.f865e05078d198d4d3387140f4ab17d4.JPG

This is normally not a shy bird but this group of birds consisting of Chaffinches, Bramblings, Greenfinches and Snow Buntings have been very hard to approach.

We went back to the same beach today and had

#114 (IOM 104) Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)

skallesluger_4464.JPG.4952ed078d5aac38ce5aecdd62bd3cd0.JPG

I also managed a better shot of the black-throated Diver.

Lom_4496.JPG.7e39ec21edac5ddbf37e8ec40066c542.JPG

I am hoping that it will clear up to night as they have forecasted a very nice Aurora Borealis tonight. That requires clears skies and right now it is very grey :angry:

Hope you got your aurora borealis. it was one of the top 10 things I wanted to do in my life. 

@KitsafariUnfortunately it did not clear up until this morning. I have seen the Aurora a few times before. I was very lucky near Detroit to see it from an airplane. The pilot even did a 360 so passengers sitting on the other side of the plane could see it. A trip to Norway is on the Bucket List:D

• 1 month later...

Yesterday we had some decent weather so I went to a nearby beach.

I encountered 4 birds that I would normally not expect this time of year.

#115 (IOM 105) Sanderling (Calidris alba)

Sanderling_4709.JPG.7ee44ae299b0c5b794e0aab3a2b7b794.JPG

Sanderling_4731.JPG.3a84390ce220fdd233bd42d26bfde7cf.JPG

I have been looking at my list for this year and realised that there were a few birds that I had not posted.

#116 (IOM 106) Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major)

1943298750_SFlagsptte_1610.JPG.a8ef731bddf4cc328c581e150329729a.JPG

I also realised I had no shots of Great Tit but luckily I found one in a tree next to the terrace.

#117 (IOM 107) Great Tit (Parus major)

Musvit_4627.JPG.0769ada43b445e04db8cacc3d624c8e9.JPG

The next few days will be spent trying to match or better @Galana for the IOM title this year. Currently he is in the lead with 110 against my 107.

Edited by mvecht
wrong picture

5 hours ago, mvecht said:

The next few days will be spent trying to match or better @Galana for the IOM title this year. Currently he is in the lead with 110 against my 107.

Very close, so an exciting end to the year! 

22 hours ago, mvecht said:

trying to match or better @Galana for the IOM title this year.

Well I have been out this morning with little to show for it other than to welcome our 'native' Whooper Swans back home for Christmas. I counted 33 ish with a healthy sprinkling of young ones which is good news. Only a few 'targets left to me but I would be happy with 2nd place as 110 was quite unexpected when I accepted the challenge.  I need Long tailed Tit, Black Redstart to be content. 4 days left.

Todays weather was very foggy so I decided to double check my entries for the year.

Somehow I managed to go from 97 to 96 (Redstart, June 29th)

so the last entry of the Great Tit should have been #119 (IOM 109)

I also realised the I had not enter the White-fronted Goose (picture from Northwestern part of the Island) from IOM. still #119 but IOM 110, now even with @Galana

1328693683_blisgs_4411.JPG.b65f57a772f9ef25d4702a7e7d9a8a19.JPG

Also I found this Long-tailed Tit from April. Picture taken in a forest in the Northwestern corner of the Island

#119 (IOM 111) Long-tailed Tit

I dont expect any more entries this year so Galana, please go and find your Black Redstart. A draw will be a suitable result for this years challenge.

halemejse_2358.JPG

Wow the IOM comp is coming right down to the wire - will the black redstart show for @Galana?????

Dave Williams

Well, that was close. You Sir are a gentleman wishing for a draw!!

There's always this year for Fred to gain the island crown!!

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

You Sir are a gentleman wishing for a draw!!

I entirely agree. 'Our' private game within a game brought some extra interest to an otherwise poor year.

The vagaries of island life got me several ticks that I would not normally expect whilst some of my 'regulars' simply failed to appear. Three winters now without a Waxwing. I knew of a flock of Twite but kept putting off a trip due to Christmas and missed the chance.

Congratulations @mvecht on a worthy win.

Well done on reaching a wonderful IOM total. Very enjoyable!