A return to Magical Kenya in the middle of the global Pandemic; A wet wet wet Mara; Cheetah everywhere; Chalo Africa with Asilia; Superb Naboisho Conservancy and lots lots more................

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Thanks guys for all your kind comments - much appreciated!!! 

Let's go into the Mara reserve for this instalment ....... That's Imani and her brood !!! 

Some lovely birding and oh! a surprise Serval that didn't run away from the Car!!!! 

naboisho45.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho46.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho47.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho49.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho50.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho51.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho48.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho52.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho53.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho54.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

Loving the report and photos, @madaboutcheetah! The genet and leopard in the tree were really cool and beautiful serval photos!

Great photos may I say again 

I  like to write up the events of the day in a note book , then give some of it in the trip report 

Were there many visitors in the Mara?

not everyone is keen on sport, if India winning the cricket makes you happy that is fine by me

does everyone who goes to the game watch closely?

perhaps not on the night news reports a few were shown in full length Cookie Monster, Spider-Man and Batman costumes 

madaboutcheetah

Thank You @mopsy @TravelMore @campsafari2015 @AKR1 @SafariChick @COSMIC RHINO @TonyQ

@COSMIC RHINO- Inside the reserve - the cheetah sightings still had about 20 vehicles around the 5 male coalition or Imani and her cubs.  In the conservancy, it's all regulated - no more than 4 at a sighting - we would generally see between 3 and 7 cars out on game drive.  The Mara is not as deprived of visitors as other countries.  Re the Cricket - I urge you to go watch a live game.  I've been lucky to have been at quite a few stadiums in India and round the world - the two grounds in Australia were my best experiences ever! the MCG and the Adelaide Oval.

Next set - 

1.) 8.) and 10.) Imani and cubs 

2-4) Entito/ cub

We were lucky to meet with the Mara Predetor Conservation program - the current estimation of the cheetah population in the Greater Masai Mara (Mara reserve, Triangle and the 16 conservancies) stands at approx 50 induviduals above the age of 1 - Not counting the seasonal visitors that pop in and out of the serengeti. 

naboisho55.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho56.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho57.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho58.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho59.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho60.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho61.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho62.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho64.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho65.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho63.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

Love the last photo with cheetah cubs! Excellent photography, Hari @madaboutcheetah!  I am happy you did this trip! Thank you for sharing. What time exactly have you been there? In the beginning of January? Is there raining a lot during this time? Cheeeeeetahs! I love cheetahs! And you had luck to see the cubs! WoW! And so nice photos!! Also of serval and antelopes! Aren't you a person who won the Kwando photo-contest in 2011 or so?

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @ElenaH- The Kwando contest?  Nope - not 2011.  I think I won a category "essence of Kwando" in maybe 2008? 

I just came back on saturday ......... Start date January 10th i think.  Lots and lots of rain.  It has been raining non stop apparently for quite a few weeks already. 

@madaboutcheetahI thought that in Kenya is raining during April and May and now is just a "small" rain-season ;-) So, you have been about 10-12 days there! :D everything looks so green!

I turned to be a fan of a green season after I've been to Bots in 2015 in December, what I actually won in Kwando contest... My partner didn't want to visit Africa during the shoulder or green season so, I escaped from him and took my Mom with me ;-) But they in Kwando told me that there was some Hari who visited Kwando a lot and also won some contest. That is why I asked. I thought it was you :) 

Dave Williams

Superb photos. For me though the Secretary Bird tops the list followed by the Serval. We all have our want to see list and you haven't even tagged the bird!!!

offshorebirder

Wow - great luck with sightings and great photos @madaboutcheetah   Brings back fond memories of Naboisho.

I am sorry to hear it's only 50 Cheetahs above Age 1 in the Mara.   I thought it was more than that.  

madaboutcheetah
8 hours ago, ElenaH said:

@madaboutcheetahI thought that in Kenya is raining during April and May and now is just a "small" rain-season ;-) So, you have been about 10-12 days there! :D everything looks so green!

I turned to be a fan of a green season after I've been to Bots in 2015 in December, what I actually won in Kwando contest... My partner didn't want to visit Africa during the shoulder or green season so, I escaped from him and took my Mom with me ;-) But they in Kwando told me that there was some Hari who visited Kwando a lot and also won some contest. That is why I asked. I thought it was you :) 

It's supposed to be short rains Nov and December ...... but, looks like global warming is the new trend now ..... non stop weather disruption.  Re Kwando - Yup, I've been going there since 2004!!!  Alas, going to be difficult now with the SA variant being rampant in Southern Africa.

Thanks @Dave Williamsand @offshorebirder

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Great  photos  

did  you  see many elephant  heards ?

madaboutcheetah

@COSMIC RHINO- a fair few elephant herds. Certainly no mega herds like many other parks!!

madaboutcheetah

Today's instalment ......

The Tano Bora - the Famous 5 male cheetah coalition - Actually, from 3 seperate groups of males that all originated in Naboisho .......

Imani in a full speed chase that will help feed her 3 cubs!!! 

naboisho64.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho65.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho67.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho69.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho68.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho72.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho73.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho74.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho75.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho76.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho77.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

I love the cheetah in full chase with four paws off the ground! What a great shot! I am jealous of your tiny cheetah cubs and your serval sightings! Last trip to Africa I was lucky to see some very small lion cubs, still in hiding, but still haven't managed to catch any small cheetah cubs, just ones that were nearly full grown (not complaining however!) The elusive serval is still on my "hope to see in the wild one day" list.

Super shots as always, Hari. and that cheetah off the ground was awesome. we're all having a safari vicariously through you!

arrggghhhh the cheetah cubs are so cute. 

so many shots of the serval in the daylight is just rubbing it in, Hari. More, please!

:D

Nice serval shots.  Are you still mainly using a 400 2.8?  Did you fly in through Dubai, any additional hassles flying with large lenses/gear ?

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @Kitsafari

@AArdvark0- we were only allowed to travel under a travel bubble I.e., direct flights only ..... so it had to be only on the Kenya airways. No problem at all with carrying the gear. No questions asked ...

madaboutcheetah

Today's instalment needs it's own storyline .......... What a cheetah mum has to do to feed her growing cubs and to take them to greener pastures for food and safety!!! Kudos to Super Mum Imani !!!  

naboisho92.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho96.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho98.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho97.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho99.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho101.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho94.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

naboisho100.jpg (1 of 1).jpg

wonderful!