A Her-man BY with Kit 2021

Kitsafari

I was twiddling my fingers wondering if I was too lazy and didn't want to put pressure on myself or the OH to compile a BY for ST. Besides, it looks like we will be stuck on this tiny island country for much of this year, and it's just no fun not getting new and exciting birds. I've also stopped taking the camera out,  preferring to use the binos for now. the OH however has been working hard so I shall put his efforts to share with the rest of ST's bird-watchers and birders. 

So, you'll see less of my photos but all my effort in putting the list up! 

1. Black Hornbill, Pulau Ubin

A very rare visitor to our shores, thought to be displaced by the drastic clearing of forests across the straits in Johor, Malaysia. the visitor, a female in the IUCN vulnerable list, is usually with its cousins the oriental pied hornbills. the males, which have a yellowish-white bill and casque, look almost similar to its cousins and are often overlooked. 

BlackHornbill1-Ubin.jpg.fa4de057f21099b9633f19a0435675dd.jpg

BlackHornbill3-Ubin.jpg.b5262fd4de9e8373335ee01268542095.jpg

BlackHornbill2-Ubin.jpg.9201d084f800d95cb671436c1039d42e.jpg

2. Barn Owl, Eastwood vicinity

Often in the evenings, we would spy a civet on our neighbour's rooftop as it emerges in the night and preens before it goes hunting. we've never seen it in the day, so we would get only a silhouette of it. 

Civet-1.jpg.7752d2dbf5766b487ec595c40a2b0625.jpg

One evening (January 30) past 10.45pm, my helper, who's a keen spotter, noticed the silhouette looked rather strange with two skinny legs. so she called us and immediately we got excited. it was a small barn owl - we think it was a juvenile - who flew off when the resident night-jar challenged it. it flew back however, affording us some opportunity to practise night photos. my video turned out too dark in the end. it looked like a different barn owl that turned up in the day two years ago. perhaps it  is its young?! now we are waiting for the spotted wood owl, which visited us early December, to return.

BarnOwl1-EG.jpg.79f5f6cfdf55981b603ba0889d234a90.jpg

heavily cropped

BarnOwl3-EG.jpg.82bb2d1cad7043b6830066470bfb3231.jpg

BarnOwl2-EG.jpg.34c1e7115728c0eb54fe62b4705f2f65.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

Double wow and welcome to BY 2021. Us islanders need to stick together.

Great start to the year. Keep them coming!

Dave Williams
36 minutes ago, Galana said:

Double wow and welcome to BY 2021. Us islanders need to stick together.

There are quite a few of us ....in fact nearly 50% taking part in ST's BY live on islands! 

Brilliant having a Civet living so close, you'll have to start feeding it coffee beans!

Edited by Dave Williams
Clarification for Galana

3 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

in fact nearly 50% live on islands! 

Taking you literally one could say ALL of us do.

But I have somehow never considered Llandudno part of an island.:P

Dave Williams
5 minutes ago, Galana said:

Taking you literally one could say ALL of us do.

But I have somehow never considered Llandudno part of an island.:P

Edited my original for your clarification Fred

Welcome back Kit and Herman, it wouldn’t be the same without you! Very happy you are taking part again.:)

It's really good to see you both back here again ( love your title...) and some special shots right away!

A  toast to all ST's BY islanders!

1029313578_chinkchink.jpg.3fba4b17cbf7918416d63b26219935a9.jpg

3. Buffy Fish Owl, Jurong Lake Gardens

a pair of them

BFO-JLG.jpg.85610e2707ee900ff2fe880242341daf.jpg

4. Spotted Wood Owl, Pasir Ris Park

SpottedWoodOwl-PRP.jpg.0bb29cff90f92cb6f35b9408236cffd7.jpg

Edited by Kitsafari

5. Large-tailed Nightjar, Changi Business Park

LargeTailedNightjar-CBP.jpg.ebc6c684684470edfa9270bffe42cd38.jpg

Dave Williams

Only 5 so far but what a 5 they are! Very envious indeed!

Once you start Kit, there is no turning back and you'll embrace the challenge. Welcome to (BY) 2021

9 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

A  toast to all ST's BY islanders!

I will drink to that.

2010_0412Image0021.JPG.bb8e11df36d6253101a177e3b63530c9.JPGJust the one glass though!

@Kitsafarireally glad you and Herman are back and have kicked off with a real bang. Im still searching for my first Aus Owl and here you are with 3 and a Nightjar. I didn't think Id ever revisit Singapore (had a great trip but thought we'd covered it pretty well) but I think I will after all one day.

Good to have you both onboard. And a great start!

Towlersonsafari

2 of my favourite things in your wonderful  no. 3 fishing  owls and Buffy the vampire  slayer @Kitsafari

thanks everyone.

6. Asian Koel, Eastwood vicinity

The bird that nocturnal humans hate as it has a very insistent wake-up call in the early morning hours. It can start from 4am+ and if another answers, you'll get stereo effects. But the species is doing very well in my neighbourhood. A pair of crows raised a pair of koels and the foster parents were very protective of the juveniles. the crows kept swooping down at us in our own garden! I failed to take any shots of the crows feeding the juv koels though. 

Female

AsianKoel-EG.jpg.458f5fb68becd890212acfad9fe700f6.jpg

Male

DSC01736.JPG.4f6063924f64aa759426be2b26a5e440.JPG

Edited by Kitsafari

7. Black Baza, Changi Business Park

The stunning black bazas returned to this location where they get good hunts of lizards and insects, especially juicy praying mantis.

BlackBaza-CBP.jpg.4a5fadc2699d94b81f1de947f5880e41.jpg

8. Jerdon's Baza, Changi Business Park

Another stunner which likes to return to this spot as its cousins. 

248760914_JerdonsBaza2-CBP.jpg.46ee5f3f9b89a3352fd1bf4c00c15946.jpg

9. Oriental Honey Buzzard, Eastwood vicinity

The buzzards don't visit our neighbourhood not as frequently as before since my neighbour has completely removed their mango tree, which we suspected housed a beehive. 

OHB1-EG.jpg.26302cad242d320565968af341c25f62.jpg

OHB2-CBP.jpg.6dc9dc216daefff03856a1b06965f801.jpg