LM's 5th BY, 2021 - cause I don't have a lot else to do!

lmSA84

Hi all,

After skipping 2020 and lurking in the sidelines for the year to date I thought I would jump in. I'm afraid I can't promise much (my goal is to break 100) but I've always enjoyed this thread and I certainly don't have anything much else to do these days (outside of work and the kids that is).

Right now, my patch is restricted to my back garden which is located in Dulwich, central London. It's a new house for us (we still haven't been in for a year) but I kept a checklist last year and counted 32 birds in the garden or overhead. The highlights were Spotted Flycatchers and Yellow Wagtails. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Besides the birds, my garden and fields behind are also Red Fox HQ. We seem to have several families and they're very proficient scavengers and hunters of the local pigeons. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You can see that they don't like to hang around to have their photo taken

Welcome again!

You are probably posting as I type. so just a quick welcome. Look forward to more.

Goldcrest in the garden has to be something.

Welcome. Starting with a Goldcrest is pretty impressive. 

Welcome, and have fun! This year, numbers will generally be low.

Welcome, great you are in the game again. Fantastic to have foxes in your backyard!

Welcome back and with a good start. Love your fox photos from London!

Dave Williams

Your support is always apparent and appreciated even if you haven't participated! My high hopes for Fox photography have been severely dashed in as much as having lured ours on to the stump to pick up a few scraps it hasn't been seen on the trail cameras for 8 days....the same time one was found dead in a friends back garden just down the road.Looks like a victim of a road collision. Ah well, keep us posted with more of yours, some cracking photos already!

welcome back and what a garden to return with! 

Love the little birds and stunning foxes to look at too. 

Welcome, I’m looking forward to your contributions which are beautiful so far. 

A goldcrest and a jay is a pretty impressive 1 & 2 to start, love the foxes!

Thank you to everyone! @Dave Williams- I hope you're foxy friend makes a rapid return. 

I haven't had too many repeat birds so I'll start emptying the chambers from earlier in the year.

6. Great Tit, London, UK

spacer.png

7. Redwing, London, UK

We have had a flock coming in and out of the garden for much of Jan / early Feb. They only seemed to have moved in the last few days - this could be for their return migration which seems to be in spring. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

8. Eurasian Sparrowhawk, London, UK

I haven't yet seen the Sparrowhawk in my garden but he's occasionally overhead. In this instance being mobbed by the local Carrion Crows

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png 

9.  Carrion Crow, London, UK

Speaking of the crows - they're a real pain for my bird feeder. I'm using a feeder which the previous owners left and I think I'm going to need to change it. The crows have clearly worked out how to shake it - dropping all the feed to the floor for them and the pigeons

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png  

It's quite impressive as they have worked out that they need to jump on and pull down base down both releasing the food and creating space them to eat it off the feeder.

Edited by lmSA84

They are intelligent birds for sure.

Dave Williams

The Squirrel Buster doesn't work against squirrels either!!

Excellent shots demonstrating the wily Crow and talking of wily, it looks like my Fox is the dead one found down the road from us.Hopefully another will come our way sooner or later meanwhile at least I still have the Badgers!

Great action shots of the crow at the feeder!