LM's 5th BY, 2021 - cause I don't have a lot else to do!

lmSA84

110. Common Eider, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

spacer.png

111. Purple Sandpiper, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

This was the highlight of the trip and a lifer for me - I don't know why but I just can't seem to be in the right place to ever see these guys in the UK.

spacer.png

112. European Shag, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

spacer.png

113. Rock Pipit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

114. Common Guillemot, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

spacer.png

115. Great Egret, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

spacer.png

116. Common Gull, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

spacer.png

117. Great Black-Backed Gull, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

118. Australian Wood Duck, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

A bit of a cheat but we saw two different pairs so I'm claiming it. 

spacer.png

Alongside the new birds I also got a few shots that improve on the dismal quality of others (particularly my Wigeon shot). I also saw a Cormorant battling with an eel - quite impressive to see him guzzle it down.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A worth while trip especially as a side trip.

Your GBBG is an worthy capture.

Not sure about your Water Pipit with pink legs though. Habitat more akin to Rock Pipit too.

Dave Williams

You have been sitting on some excellent sightings! 100 came and went in a flash!

Am I alone in thinking your Willow Warbler is a Chiffchaff ? The legs look very dark for WW..

Good to see a lot of great additions from your trips! I love your Snowy Owl, what a magnificent bird. Your series with Snow Bunting, Purple Sandpiper etc. was probably taken at the Zuidpier near IJmuiden? A great birding area and I should go back there one of these days. I do agree with @Galanaon your pipit. The Rock Pipit is the one that is always present there on the coast, so I would think that's what it is. 

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Am I alone in thinking your Willow Warbler is a Chiffchaff ?

Well I did look hard at the legs but some Willies do have dark ones. I stuck on the clear supercilium  and moved on.

But who knows?

Great pictures of the Ptarmigan and the Snowy Owl, would love to see both of those!

Congratulations on #100, and what a great photo. Snowy Owl in snowy environment is a tricky subject to exposure properly ... and you did it!

Thank you all! @PeterHG- yep you're right. That was the area. I think that it's also a good area for Horned Lark. I thought that I saw them briefly but the rain arrived at that point.

@PeterHGand @Galanaare right on the pipit. An oversight on my part, as I had recorded it as Rock but wrote water in the entry. As for Willow vs. Chiffcaff - :blink:! I do appreciate the comment though @Dave Williams- as I wasn't previously looking at the legs to distinguish them. Good tip! 

Congrats on the 100th and a magnificent bird to celebrate it with! On my top list. 2 days ago our guide said a snowy owl was seen in Spain  - a 4- hour drive from where we were.  We briefly considered it but gave up! 

Some really wonderful additions and congratulations on the century!

Beautiful additions from Canada. The Snowy Owl is stunning 

• 4 weeks later...

Very late on commenting on it but better late than never - the Snowy Owl photo is just magnificent!

Dave Williams

A very laid back approach to the BY ( and why not!) but it didn't hold you back. I'd swop nearly all mine for the Snowy Owl!