LM's 5th BY, 2021 - cause I don't have a lot else to do!

lmSA84

A great Algarve collection. We loved it when we went a couple of years ago.

Lovely seeing Flamingoes again, Algarve sounds so enticing at the moment 

Nice pictures from the Algarve, it´s a great area for birding.

I would say some of the pictures were taken at Quinta do Lago (weaver, little bittern), am I right?

@pedro maia- you’re right indeed. Either from the hide or the golf course next to the lake 

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely collection of birds from Portugal.

Dave Williams

Some excellent birds and photos and a you are fair motoring now!

• 1 month later...
Kalaharikind

Playing catch-up - and what a lovely selection of birds! 

• 3 months later...

It's been a long 5 months since my last post! Apologies all, life has taken over again. But you might be be glad to know that I haven't spent the whole time confined to the suburbs of the London. 

Trips to Devon (a county in Southern England), the Netherlands and the Canadian Artic have given me a few chances to add to my total. I'll start with our trip to Devon where I added three new species for this year's count and saw a few other critters.

spacer.png

spacer.png

93. Grey Heron, Devon, UK

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

95. Willow Warbler, Devon, UK

I'm never confident with Willow vs. Chiffchaff so please correct me if you feel different.

spacer.png

96. Great Spotted Woodpecker, Devon, UK

spacer.png

To setup with 100th bird I'll now go out chronological order, as my trip Canada was after my trip to the Netherlands.

Our trip to Canada was focused on seeing Polar Bears. It has been my wife's dream since she was 5 to see these majestic creatures to we travelled to the Canadian Artic in mid November with Churchill to go see bears on foot. The trip was everything we could have wanted and at some point I'll get to a trip report but now I'll share the few bird shots that I got.

Early winter is not the right time to be looking for birds in Northern Canada (the reasonable bird list in Churchill is literally 6 species in November!) but nevertheless, I did find a few specials.

97. Black-capped Chickadee, Winnipeg Zoo, Canada

spacer.png 

98. Hoary Redpoll (Artic Redpoll), Manitoba, Canada

These little guys are incredible. They can survive in temperatures as low as -60c and in heavy fresh snowfalls they will dig burrows to keep themselves warm. Much more hardy then me!

spacer.png

99. Willow Ptarmigan, Manitoba, Canada

These guys are so hard to see against the snow

spacer.png

100. Snowy Owl, Manitoba, Canada

We saw these majestic owls frequently but typically just as a speck against the skyline but this girl (this is a female, as indicated by her darker coloration) let us stalk from near 300m away to within 15m before she took off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

101. Common Raven, Manitoba, Canada

As I mentioned there are very few birds - so every bird definitely counts!

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

102. Cedar Waxwing, Niagara Falls, Canada

On our way how we had 9hrs to burn in Toronto so we made a quick trip to the falls which gave me a few more North American birds

spacer.png

105. Red-tailed Hawk, Niagara Falls, Canada

spacer.png

106. Bonaparte's Gull, Niagara Falls, Canada

Niagara is critical migratory destination for North American Gulls in the winter months. As many as a 100,000 gulls will descend on the falls including 10-50,000 Bonaparte's Gulls, representing 2-0% of the global population. Didn't stop me from taking a crap photo :D

spacer.png

107. Herring Gull, Niagara Falls, Canada

Rivaling the Bonaparte's Gull numbers are the 10s of thousands of Herring Gulls. 

spacer.png

Congrats on the century and with a very special bird, I hop you make a TR from your trip.

@Galanaand @pedro maia- thank you! A trip report will be coming (eventually!) @Galana- the good news is that if you do ever get to Hudson Bay you will see them - it' just the four plane flights that's the problem,

108. Sanderling, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Before our trip to Canada I had a work trip to Amsterdam which afforded me a short morning of birding on the coast. 

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

109.  Snow Bunting, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

spacer.png

spacer.png