Michael‘s Seventh Year

michael-ibk

Amazing and incredible year Michael and it’s a pity we didn’t meet in Zimbabwe because I’m sure my total would have been even higher with you on my side but numbers are only secondary for me :sharing my growing passion for birds with others and discover new species is the main thing :rolleyes:

I’ve just caught up! Congratulations on an incredible year and thank you for sharing! 

On 1/8/2023 at 10:05 PM, xelas said:

What an epic BY 2022, Michael! See you in 2023.

Thank you Alex. I think I´ll skip the next Big Year though - I need a break after this. :)

On 1/9/2023 at 12:08 AM, pedro maia said:

Epic indeed, will anyone ever match those numbers here?

Congrats Michael, soon we will find new challenges for you:P.

Thanks Pedro, but please don´t scare me! ;)

On 1/9/2023 at 12:17 AM, PeterHG said:

Incredible year, Michael and that Zimbabwe score is also impressive! 

Thank you Peter. It was good birding - especially the Vumba Mountains which gave me a lot of lifers.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:41 PM, Zim Girl said:

Fantastic end to your year!

Thanks Angie!

On 1/9/2023 at 5:13 PM, TonyQ said:

Well done Michael 

A fantastic Big Year with an unimaginable overall total. Most were high quality photos with a smattering of forest birds in the dark.

You did well in Zimbabwe considering you didn’t need to chase every bird

A very enjoyable Big Year to follow

Thank you Tony, let´s make that some not most. ;)

On 1/10/2023 at 7:40 PM, Peter Connan said:

An amazing effort Michael, well done!

Very nearly averaging 3 birds per day...

Three birds a day keep the doctor away!B) Thanks Peter!

On 1/11/2023 at 5:42 PM, Dave Williams said:

I wonder if there is a world record somewhere? I can only finds one for seen birds which stands at 6910 and that was a whole year of travelling. There is a big difference between seen and photographed as I guess the number of EBC's in a seen list must be quite high especially using a 'scope with 60x magnification or similar.

The world total count of species seems to vary from one source to another but 11160 seems to be as big a number as I can find, You almost hit 10% Michael....crazy numbers!  Well done indeed.

Hm, interesting Dave. Is a photographic Big Year a place anywhere except here? Have never stumbled upon one.  And thanks!

On 1/12/2023 at 10:30 PM, Galana said:

It depends on what you read.

"

The most bird species observed in the field by an individual in one calendar year is 6,852 by Arjan Dwarshuis (Netherlands) in 2016. This tally represented about two-thirds of all known bird species at the time. During his "Big Year", Dwarshuis raised funds for BirdLife International.

Owing to ever-changing taxonomic developments, the total has now risen to 6,910 species (as of December 2021) but 6,852 was the number as it stood in 2016, so that is the given record.

One thing for sure is that "The Big Year" is a great film.

The Big Year | Disney+

If you have not seen it you should try it.

Thanks Fred, I will check that out.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:59 AM, Atravelynn said:

Impressive Zim list!

Thanks Lynn, especially for your patience with me down there! :)

On 1/13/2023 at 6:13 AM, BRACQUENE said:

Amazing and incredible year Michael and it’s a pity we didn’t meet in Zimbabwe because I’m sure my total would have been even higher with you on my side but numbers are only secondary for me :sharing my growing passion for birds with others and discover new species is the main thing :rolleyes:

Thanks Peter. I´m sure everyone will believe me when I say that I don´t care at all about the numbers. ;)

7 hours ago, lmSA84 said:

I’ve just caught up! Congratulations on an incredible year and thank you for sharing! 

Thanks, all my pleasure.

Congrats on an astounding year.  Not just on the number but just in seeing an incredible number of species in a single year. Every year I tell myself - no more BY, its just a lot of work.  But wanting to see more species and sharing new or rarely seen species and sharing with other people genuinely interested in birds just seems to drive us on.  So hopefully we will see you in BY 2023 - no need for numbers but a need for beautiful birds and beautiful images.  ️