PeterHG's seventh Big Year

PeterHG

Belated Congrats on your #300 Peter, well done! So many beautiful photos from Kruger, hats off to you! And such cool sightings of Dogs and Cheetah. Great to get a mammal lifer with Roan - looks like a very successful and enjoyable trip.

23 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

looks like a very successful and enjoyable trip.

Thanks, Michael, it was certainly an enjoyable trip!

A few more from earlier in the year:

373 / NL 136. Tree Pipit, Drente, June. I must have thought I would get a better photo...

P6151558-X2.jpg

374 / NL 137. Dunlin. Arkemheen, September.

P9229884-Edit-X2.jpg

375 / NL 138. European Goldfinch. Arkemheen, March. 

P3100221-X2.jpg

376 / NL 139. Common Eider. Zeeland, January.

P1060335-Edit-XL.jpg

377 / NL 140. Hen Harrier. March, Flevoland.

P3141861-Edit-X2.jpg

378 / NL 141. Green Woodpecker. Amersfoort, March. The only chance I got. I did manage to get the branches in almost perfect focus.

P3250047-X2.jpg

In the past two weeks I managed to get two more additions. The temperatures were below freezing point, most of the canals in the wetland areas were frozen over and that provided an opportunity to try and find the Water Rail. I saw three, but only one ventured enough out of the reeds to get a shot.

379 / NL 142. Water Rail. Arkemheen, December.

PC145001-Edit-X2.jpg

Since then temperatures have risen again and blue skies have gone. It is windy, miserable and grey, but a first year Great Scaup had been hanging around the local wetland for a few days, so I decided I'd better try and find it before it was gone or the year was over. It took me three attempts, but yesterday I did find it. It has definitely been identified as a Greater Scaup, but somehow I doubt if I would heve picked up on it if I hadn't known about it.

380 / NL 143. Greater Scaup. Arkemheen, December.

IMG_3800-Edit-X2.jpg

That's it for 2022. I saw a total 422 species this year in the Netherlands, Portugal, Lesvos and South Africa. I managed a photo of 380 of them. Not too bad although my score for the Netherlands alone was much higher last year. Am I getting lazy? Or just old? The latter is undeniably true...;). Anyway I truly enjoyed taking part in the BY thread again and even meeting some of you in person.

I wish all my ST friends a very happy 2023 and I do hope to see you all again next year. And @Game Warden, thank you for providing the opportunity to share birds and stories from all over the world once again. Much appreciated!

A lovely Water Rail.

Well done on an excellent total, with lots of very good photos 

Happy New Year to you

Lovely shots a great total to finish off the year Peter!

Lovely shots a great total to finish off the year Peter!

Dave Williams

Quality more than made up for not quite getting the next century Peter.

KNP delivered big time, much better than it did for me. I need to try a different time of year but not sure if that will happen as it's not the right time for Claire. You did encourage me to book a trip to Less in May though!

I see no mention of the roosterkoek....did you get to try one?

Great Water Rail Peter, enjoyed all your beautiful photos. Happy New Year, and would be cool if we managed to bird again together next year. 🙂

I've always enjoyed, and envied, your high-quality photos showing the pure beauties of the birds, so i look forward to your BY hits again in 2023!

Lovely additions to end a year full of beautiful birds and in particular your quite incredible birds in flight!

Thanks for the kind words @TonyQ @Peter Connan @Dave Williams @michael-ibk @Galana @Kitsafari @Zim Girl!

On 12/31/2022 at 2:42 PM, Dave Williams said:

I see no mention of the roosterkoek....did you get to try one?

Yes, I did, thanks for the tip!

IMG_6663-X2.jpg

On 12/31/2022 at 6:42 PM, michael-ibk said:

would be cool if we managed to bird again together next year.

It certainly would be cool Michael, so who knows...!