PeterHG's seventh Big Year

PeterHG

Great start with some decent shots by my standards. Like the Spectacled Weaver despite the perch. Lots of that stuff in RSA.

Lovely stuff already Peter!

Thank you @Dave Williams@Galana@Peter Connan.

Our first restcamp was Berg-en Dal, where we shared a family unit with the four of us. Sorely in need of some maintenance, but the camp was nice and relaxed. Some birds from in and around the camp:

243 /SA 22. Magpie Shrike. Berg-en-Dal, October. Common throughout Kruger.

PA193938-Edit-X2.jpg

244 /SA 23. Burchell's Starling. Berg-en-Dal, October. Also very common.

PA193948-X2.jpg

245 /SA 24. Fork-tailed Drongo. Berg-en-Dal, October. I may have spotted the square-tailed, too, but for me they're pretty hard to tell apart. I'll search my photos for one.

PA193990-Edit-X2.jpg

246 /SA 25. Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill. Berg-en-Dal, October. Perhaps the most common of the hornbills and often quite confiding.

PA194011-Edit-X2.jpg

247 /SA 26. Ring-necked Dove (Cape Turtle Dove)Berg-en-Dal, October. Their sound accompanies you all through the park . I did remind myself to take a photo early on, enabling me to forget about them after that.

PA204072-X2.jpg

248 /SA 27. Sabota Lark. Berg-en-Dal, October. I did not see many other larks (only one, I think), but perhaps I did not look close enough...

PA204085-X2.jpg

249 /SA 28. Southern Red-billed Hornbill. Berg-en-Dal, October. Almost as common as its yellow-billed cousin.

PA204123-Edit-X2.jpg

250 /SA 29. Grey Go-away Bird. Berg-en-Dal, October. 

PA204128-X2.jpg

251 /SA 30. Cape Starling. Berg-en-Dal, October. It takes a lot of patience and photographic skills to take a photo of this shy and uncommon bird.....;)

PA204170-Edit-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

Perhaps a could also trouble you with some mammal shots of the Berg-en-Dal area:

PA215109-Edit-X2.jpg

This Hyena suddenly appeared when we had all left the car to visit the Gardenia hide....

PA214795-X2.jpg

PA225150-Edit-X2.jpg

One of two leopard sightings, but by far the best.

PA215015-Edit-X2.jpg

Some great mammal sightings in addition to your bird additions!

And the lovely Wild dog does not even get a mention.:(

I love the aloof gaze of your leopard.

Lovely leopard and wild dog, @PeterHG.  Did you just see the one dog or was there a pack?

Thank you @TonyQ@Galana@Zim Girl

23 hours ago, Galana said:

Wild dog does not even get a mention

1 hour ago, Zim Girl said:

Did you just see the one dog or was there a pack?

We saw one on this occasion, but at the end of our Kruger trip, we even saw a pack of some 15 dogs. Both very special sightings!

Lovely sighting of the Leopard and Wild Dogs. Great to see that it was such a productive trip 

that;s a good looking very blonde wild dog, and a lazy gaze from the spotted cat. love them though (plus the other mammals and birds)

Very cool sightings Peter - and photos!

Sometimes cats do come close! Beautiful photos, Peter!

Towlersonsafari

lovely photos @PeterHG-can I ask what lenses you were using? I got into all kinds of confusion trying to work out whether to use the 300 f4, or the 40-150 2.8 and in the end used the later mostly w.th a 1x4 converter

4 hours ago, Towlersonsafari said:

lovely photos @PeterHG-can I ask what lenses you were using? I got into all kinds of confusion trying to work out whether to use the 300 f4, or the 40-150 2.8 and in the end used the later mostly w.th a 1x4 converter

To avoid having to change lenses I only took the Olympus 100-400. It performed well, but in the rather grey conditions we had I could have used the wider aperture of the 300 or 40-150. Still, no regrets, the zoom was very useful, of course.

Thank you @lmSA84 @Kitsafari @michael-ibk @xelas @Towlersonsafari!

252 /SA 252. Red-breasted Swallow, Berg-en-Dal, October. Seen a few times but never close.

PA204185-X2.jpg

253 ./SA32. Dark Chanting Goshawk. Berg-en-Dal, October. We were fortunate enough to see both an adult and an immature bird on the same day.

PA204228-X2.jpg

PA204258-X2.jpg

254 /SA 33. Kurrichane Thrush. Berg-en-Dal, October. Seen on several occasions.

PA204241-Edit-X2.jpg

255 /SA 34. Lilac-breasted Roller. Berg-en-Dal, October. A trip to SA is not complete without a photo of this abundant roller. Her the sun came oput, which helped a loy.

PA204505-X2.jpg

256 /SA 35. Red-billed Oxpecker. Berg-en-Dal, October. Much more common than its yellow-billed cousin. Perhaps not always wanted by the host, but this impala appears to have special feelings for the bird.

PA204518-Edit-X2.jpg

257 /SA 36. Greater Blue-eared Starling. Berg-en-Dal, October. Another shiny example of the starling family.

PA204531-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

259 /SA 37. White-throated Robin-chat. Berg-en-Dal. Berg-en-Dal, October. Seen on a walk around the camp itself. A lifer for me!

PA204543-Edit-X2.jpg

Congratulations. A Lifer is always good to have.

Towlersonsafari

thank you @PeterHGI was trying to justify buying that very lens before the holiday-and talked myself out of it-i can see that I was very wrong indeed!

Thank you @Galana @Towlersonsafari @TonyQ

A few more from the game drives aroud Berg-en Dal restcamp:

259 /SA 38. Natal Spurfowl. Berg-en-Dal, October.

PA204556-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

269 /SA 39. Crested Francolin. Berg-en-Dal, October.

PA214788-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

261 /SA 40. Fiscal Flycatcher. Berg-en-Dal, October.

PA214853-X2.jpg

262 /SA 41. African Fish Eagle. Berg-en-Dal, October. Quite common, but we never tired of seeing (or hearing) this magnificent eagle.

PA214969-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

263 /SA 42. Pale Flycatcher. Berg-en-Dal, October. Another lifer and only seen once.

PA215032-X2.jpg

264 / SA 43. White-fronted Bee-eater. Berg-en-Dal, October. Almost the default bee-eater on this Kruger trip. We did see European and Little, but only a few times.

PA215058-X2.jpg

265 /SA 44. Southern White-crowned Shrike. Berg-en-Dal, October

PA225128-X2.jpg

266 /SA 45. Martial Eagle. Berg-en-Dal, October. Another impresive eagle, which we saw on several occasions. This bird was sitting quite close to the road, allowing for a portrait shot.

PA225256-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

267 /SA 46. Hooded Vulture. Berg-en-Dal, October. Some six or seven of these vultures were present near a large pride of lions (22), resting in the shade. Of course quite a few cars were there, too. One of these was a safari vehicle, in which a ranger was explaining about the vultures to the unsuspecting guests. He told them these were two different kind of vultures: the one with the red head was a lappet-faced vulture and the one withe the white head was a white backed vulture. Wrong on both counts, but I didn't want to challenge his authority....;)

PA225382-Edit-X2.jpg

PA225396-Edit-X2.jpg

PA225296-Edit-X2.jpg

PA225361-Edit-X2.jpg

5 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Wrong on both counts, but I didn't want to challenge his authority....;)

But he surely got a nice tip :))

More of excellent photos from South Africa!

Edited by xelas

I would have laughed out loud!

Some really nice shots from the Kruger!

10 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I would have laughed out loud!

I don't think I could have resisted asking what Field Guide he was using.

Catching up here Peter, my special mention goes to the wild dog, I´m yet to see one.

And always some very nice pictures, of course.

So there´s hope for me becoming a guide yet - if that guy can do it all of us can. :D

Beautiful photos Peter, love the Martial Eagle especially!

Thank you, @xelas @Peter Connan @Galana @pedro maia @michael-ibk

268 /SA 47. Tawny-flanked Prinia. Skukuza, October.

PA235704-X2.jpg

269 /SA 48. Green-backed Camaroptera. Skukuza, October. Well, it did show its green back...

PA235716-Edit-X2.jpg

270 /SA 49. Lizard Buzzard. Skukuza, October. Only seen once.

PA235729-Edit-X2.jpg

271 /SA 50. Little Bee-eater. Skukuza, October

PA235732-X2.jpg

272 /SA 51. Bateleur. Skukuza, October. Seen almost every day. One of my favourites, so you'll have to put up with me here....;)

PA235757-Edit-X2.jpg

PA257037-Edit-X2.jpg

PB081694-Edit-X2.jpg

PB092294-X2.jpg