PeterHG's seventh Big Year

PeterHG

Dave Williams

Have a great trip Peter. Good choice of camps, the first and last are,I think, particularly good for birding so you should build your score significantly. My choice from them all would be Mopini, loved it there and there are a couple of good spots close to camp for some last minute shots in the golden light.

Don't forget the Roosterkoek!!

Looking forward to both read the trip report, and to see the photos from your upcoming trip!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

My choice from them all would be Mopini, loved it there and there are a couple of good spots close to camp for some last minute shots in the golden light.

Don't forget the Roosterkoek!!

Thank you, Dave. I’ve already informed our fellow-travellers about the mandatory visit to the Tshokwane picnic site ;)!  Our best option would be to go there on one of our day trips from Skukuza.

1 hour ago, xelas said:

Looking forward to both read the trip report, and to see the photos from your upcoming trip!

Thank you Alex, I’ll do my best to meet your expectations on both counts. 

Enjoy your trip, you are doing it in the “correct” direction. Give Rietvlei a go, it’s never that busy….

Towlersonsafari

have a splendid time in the Kruger @PeterHG

Have a fantastic time in Kruger Peter, I´m really looking forward to seeing your photos!

HAve a nice trip Peter, I´m envious and looking forward to see your pictures.

Have a good Safari and come back with a bagful of birds for us.

Like the idea of regular White-tailed Eagles so near home too.

Thanks @pedro maiaa d @Galana!

2 hours ago, Galana said:

Like the idea of regular White-tailed Eagles so near home too.

Yes, we’re privileged in that respect!

Very envious, but have great fun and look forward to awesome images from you!

Thank you @Kitsafari, we re really looking forward to the trip! 

• 5 weeks later...

Well, we've just returned from our SA trip and, of course, there are lots of photos to browse through and process. So why not celebrate the homecoming to a colder climate with a rarity that was seen close to where we live. I'd only seen it once before.

I'll come back with some SA photos shortly.

221 /NL 131. Great Northern Diver. Arkemheen, November

PB163470-X2.jpg

An awesome bird to welcome you back home! Would be a lifer for me. :)

that diver is just gleaming in gold. what a welcome. 

Thank you @Galana@michael-ibk@Kitsafari, that was quite a welcome indeed!

Well, let's make a start with some South African birds. After a rather long journey (first to Paris and then the night flight to Johannesburg) we set off with our rental car. the plan was to spend almost 4 weeks in the Kruger park, starting in the Berg-en-Dal restcamp. Although it's doable in one go from Johannesburgt we had decided to book one night in a riverside hotel in Malelane. We would not have the stress of the gate closing time and it would allow us to do some shoppin before entering the Kruger. On our way we stopped at Milly's restaurant for some coffe and snacks as we had done before. The restaurant overlooks a lake, which always provides a nice introduction to some SA birds. Unfortunately the weather was a dark shade of grey with a steady drizzle, so photos were basically record shots. But here we go:

222 /SA 01. Cape Wagtail. Milly's restaurant, October

PA183606-Edit-XL.jpg

223 /SA 02. Wire-tailed Swallow. Milly's restaurant, October

PA183614-XL.jpg

224 ?SA 03. Red-eyed Dove. Milly's restaurant, October. I caught one in flight and that was the only one of the trip.

PA183628-Edit-L.jpg

225 /SA 04. Speckled Pigeon. Milly's restaurant, October. Also the last one I saw. Well, perhaps I did not keep my eyes open enough for doves and pigeons....;)

PA183633-Edit-XL.jpg

226 / SA 05. Reed Cormorant. Milly's restaurant, October. 

PA183637-Edit-XL.jpg

227 / SA 06. Black-headed Heron. Milly's restaurant, October. I was absolutely convinced that I would get a better shot in the weeks to come..... Not so.

PA183639-Edit-XL.jpg

228 / SA07. Greater Striped Swallow. Milly's restaurant, October. Well, I would have preferred another backgroud, but at least it showed well.

PA183729-Edit-X2.jpg

The decision to stay in Malelane for a night turned out well. A nice view of the river, comfortable bedrooms and a good dinner. The weather, though did not change. In fact looking back that was the most disappointing factor of the whole trip. Only 2 or 3 days gave us sunshine in the morning and late afternoon. Otherwise it was constantly grey with little light to work with. Especially for the bird photos, that meant I had to compensate the exposure all the time, leaving me with washed out skies. I certainly did get some good photos on occasion, but far fewer that I had expected. For flight photography (one of my favourite pastimes ) conditions were just not good enough. For the animals it wasn't so bad. They were mostly against a green or brown background and choosing a higher iso number would still yield decent photos in many cases.

A few from Malelane:

229 /SA 08. Cut-throat Finch. Malelane, October. The only one we saw.

PA193793-Edit-2-XL.jpg

230 /SA 09. Arrow-marked Babbler. Malelane, October

PA193802-Edit-X2.jpg

231 / SA 10. Brown-headed Parrot. Malelane, October

PA193816-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

232 /SA 11. African Sacred Ibis. Malelane, October

PA193827-Edit-X2.jpg

233 /SA 12. Speckled Mousebird. Malelane, October.

PA193832-X2.jpg

234 /SA 13. Spectacled Weaver. Malelane, October. Except for the perch, I'm quite happy with this one.

PA193841-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

235 /SA 14. Yellow-fronted Canary. Malelane, October.

PA193846-Edit-X2.jpg

Dave Williams

Off to a flier Peter. No Pied Starling at Milly's? Just realised, neither have I !!

Great start Peter, I'm especially jealous about the Greater Striped Swallow, a bird I'm still looking for. 

Love tat flight shot of the sacred ibis 

Excellent start, and those bad weather conditions are not seen on posted photos.

Thank you, @Dave Williams@michael-ibk@TonyQ@Kitsafari@xelas!

Some more from the garden of our Malelane hotel. As it turned out, those included several species that we did not see again.

236 / SA 15. Diederik Cuckoo. Malelane, October. I think you will definitely see the weather conditions reflected in this one, @xelas;)

PA193852-Edit-2-XL.jpg

237 /SA 16. Dark-capped Bulbul. Malelane, October.

PA193855-Edit-XL.jpg

238 /SA 17. Pied Wagtail.Malelane, October.

PA193861-Edit-XL.jpg

239 /SA 18. Scarlet-chested Sunbird. Malelane, October. Only one of the trip

PA193888-XL.jpg

240 /SA 19. Bronze Mannikin. Malelane, October

PA193899-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

241 /SA 20. Thick-billed Weaver. Malelane, October.

PA193894-Edit-XL.jpg

242 /SA 21. Pin-tailed Whydah. Malelane, October.

PA193914-Edit-XL.jpg

Dave Williams

What I Whydah given to see them in plumage like that!