PeterHG's seventh Big Year

PeterHG

Grey and misty weather for many days now. Good enough only for a walk to the local park. A surprise there.

20 /NL 20. Wood Duck. Amersfoort, January. This female could well be an escape, but we do have a small feral population in the country, so I'm counting...;)

P1110016-Edit-XL.jpg

And on the walk back

21 /NL 21. Magpie. Amersfoort, January

P1110071-Edit-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

In spite of the fog I went out for a little drive today to look for the Cattle Egret, that had been seen in the vicinity. And I did find it. Still a rare find here, but the number of sightings rises each year.

22 /NL 22. Cattle Egret. Arkemheen, January

P1180104-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Its much larger cousin is quite common, especially in winter

23 /NL 23. Great Egret. Arkemheen, January

P1180082-Edit-X2.jpg

And another one, showing the gloomy conditions

P1180091-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

I also too a walk along the dyke to the spot where whooper and bewick's swans are seen each winter. 

24 /NL 24. Bewick's Swan. Arkemheen, January. 

P1180069-X2.jpg

And the Whoopers were there, too (already in the count)

P1180084-Edit-X2.jpg

Envious of the ease with which you can find Bewick's.

A walk in our local park produced three of these. It seems the are getting quicker and I am getting slower. But I got one at least. Had to over-expose quite a bit to get more than a silhouette, though.

26 /NL 26. Long-tailed Tit. Amersfoort, January

P1210092-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Yesterday we visited friend or ours, living an hour's drive away in a little village near the river Maas. In the middle of the village is a large fir tree, where most winters these owls can be found. There were 5 this time, four of them to deep into the branches to take a photo, but one was kind enough to permit some shots.

27 /NL 27. Long-eared Owl. Gelderland, January.

P1200222-Edit-X3.jpg

What a nice pair of photos. What I would not give to get close to a Long-eared Owl in good light.

great shots of the tit and wow on the owl!

A very Long-Eared Long-Eared Owl - cool sighting!

Beautiful Long-eared Owl - totally jealous!!

Towlersonsafari

another splendid owl picture- have only ever seen Long Eared owl's twice, the last one amongst a party of about 20 short eared owls in a field in Northamptonshire!

Another vote for the Owl - wonderful!. I have never seen a Long-eared Owl

I think it's all round to Peter's friends for a long-eared Owl photo!!!

Beautiful shots!

Thank you @Galana, @Kitsafari, @michael-ibk, @Zim Girl, @Towlersonsafari@TonyQ, @Peter Connan.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:48 PM, Zim Girl said:

I think it's all round to Peter's friends for a long-eared Owl photo!!!

Sounds like a plan! I'll let them know ;)

The sun came out today, so I drove the 10 minutes to our local wetland area. As always in winter, hundreds of geese. This is by far the most common one and they're also present in summer.

28 / NL 28. Greylag Goose. Arkemheen, January

P1280059-Edit-2-XL.jpg

Also hundreds of Barnacles and Greater White-fronted. I could not get close enough for a decent shot of the Barnacles, so that one will have to wait. A couple of White fronted flew by, so I could add those.

29 /NL 29. Greater White-fronted Goose. Arkemheen, January

P1280071-Edit-XL.jpg

What I really came for was something more special, though. A Bittern had been sighted off and on for the past week, so I walked a little further than I ususally do to the area it had been spotted. I scanned the reeds on the other side of the water and I couldn't quite believe my luck when I got my eyes on it a few minutes later. Qiuite a distance, but clearly visible and with the use o f the 2x converter I managed a few shots before it disappeared into the reed beds again.

30 / NL 30. Eurasian Bittern, Arkemheen, January

P1280027-Edit-XL.jpg

I was just thinking what a great White fronted Goose shot, and then you produce the Bittern!

Well done

Thank you @michael-ibk@TonyQ@Galana!

Let's get a few others dealt with.

31 /NL 31. House Sparrow, Amersfoort, February. 

P1280104-Edit-X2.jpg

32 /NL 32. (Winter) Wren. Amersfoort, February. One of my favourites from the local park. They rarely sit still long enough for a shot.

P2020148-Edit-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Yesterday gave us some unexpected sunshie, so I headed to the nearby polder area to see if I could get any additions there. Not too many species around, but a few nice ones and it felt great to be outside.

33 /NL 33. Mallard. Arkemheen, February. Very common, of course, so I need to remind myself to put the lens on them.

P2020058-Edit-XL.jpg

34 /NL 34. Smew. Arkemheen, February. Still around in limited numbers, but nearly always keep their distance.

P2020130-Edit-XL.jpg

35 /NL 35. Eurasian Coot. Arkemheen, January. Another one in the mallard category and even more numerous.

P2020178-Edit-XL.jpg

36 /NL 36. Eurasian Wigeon. Still in the area in large numbers, like every winter.

P2020455-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

Suddenly many geese took to the air and that is often a sign that an eagle is near. Over the last few years they have been seen regularly in the area outside the nesting season and although they always remain very distant, it's great to have them so near.

37 /NL 37. White-tailed Eagle. Arkemheen, February

P2020346-Edit-XL.jpg

Just before I was left I noticed a little white spot some distance away. I stopped the car and put my binoculars on it. It turned ou to be a beautiful Stoat in winter coat, which I had never seen before. I stayed for about half an hour and it showed regularly, sometimes even running around. I couldn't believe my luck. I did need the converter, but it was worth the effort.

P2020626-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

I even tried filming with the camera, lens and converter. I'm glad the software allowed for some stabilization...

https://youtu.be/xpfjUGNXSxs

The birds are wonderful enough but that Ermine Stoat is an epic sighting and one you will treasure. Cute on the Video too.

(The green in the northern sky is not the Aurora but my envious face. :P)

Wonderful Stoat, and love the Smew. 

wow love the stoat - it's gorgeous!

and of course brilliant birdie additions too.

A-mazing photos, Peter! And the video of the Hermelin ... 

More gorgeous shots, love the owl and the stoat.