PeterHG's seventh Big Year

PeterHG

Thank you, @Galana@michael-ibk@Kitsafari@xelas@shazdwn

A few days ago a Little Bunting was sighted only 20 minutes from here, which would be a lifer for me. So I drove there on a windy and grey morning (are there any other mornings?) to try and find it. Together with some other birders having gathered there with the same onjective I searched the area for about an hour and a half but to no avail. A few times there were some excited calls and clicking of cameras, but on closer inspection it turned out to be a female Reed Bunting every time. Well at least that's a new one for the year...;)

38 /NL 38 Reed Bunting. Barneveld, February.

P2040775-Edit-XL.jpg

And I even got another addition, which I did not manage to get a shot of last year.

39 /NL 39. Tree Sparrow. Barneveld, February

P2040841-Edit-XL.jpg

Although I almost failed to recognize it as such, there was a little bit of sunshine yesterday afternoon. A short trip to the local wetland area did not produce many species, but nevertheless two ducks for the list.

40 /NL40 Eurasian Teal. Arkemheen, February

P2070025-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

41 /NL 41. Northern Shoveler. Arkemheen, February. I do think they are beautiful ducks, especially with some sunlight on their green heads.

P2070045-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

46 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

I do think they are beautiful ducks

Absolutely. a much under-rated bird.

Shame about the Little Bunting.

Strong winds today, but some sunshine as well, so time to try and add a few.

42 /N? 42. Great Cormorant. Arkemheen,February

P2110099-Edit-X2.jpg

43 /NL 43. Goosander. Arkemheen, February.  A single male was present and not as far off as I'd seen them before.

P2110187-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

And still the most numerous duck: the Wigeon. Already counted, but a bit of sunshine really makes their colours stand out.

P2110007-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

P2110017-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

And another one I'd only seen form afar until now.

44 /NL 44. Common  Buzzard. Arkemheen, February.

P2110269-X2.jpg

Can I ask for some thoughts on this Gull? I first thought I was photographing a Caspian Gull. Plae yellow legs and a sloping forehead. Although it is still a very uncommon bird the numbers are increasing and I have seen juveniles in the area before. When I looked at the photos at home I was not so sure anymore. Perhaps the forehead was a little higher that I'd originally thought. Also the eye was paler than I'd thought, but I think a minority of Caspian Gulls have those, too. The colour of the legs rules out the Herring Gull in my opinion, but it might also be a Yellow-legged Gull. Equally uncommon, but also increasing numbers. I'd appreciate your opinions.

P2110324-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

P2110338-Edit-Edit-2-XL.jpg

Following ID by Dutch Birding Society : 45  / NL 45. Caspian Gull. Arkemheen, February

Edited by PeterHG
Adding number

Dave Williams

Must admit first impressions were Herring Gull but gulls are so difficult where there is a possible cross over of species seen.

Some excellent sightings though Peter, some I'd particularly love to see such as the LE Owl and Bittern.

I must say that when I saw the photo I just thought Herring Gull and then read your text. I still think Herring Gull and the legs are fine by me.

Here is one I prepared earlier.

1-DSCN1380.JPG.bff5a52f4eb3c29692de7418c85eb6f9.JPG

The only real difference that I can see is the amount of black wing tip protruding but that does not match anything else. (Call it a Silver Gull.:))

Edited by Galana

Thanks for the input @Dave Williamsand @Galana! I’ll gladly accept Herring Gull, too. The pale yellow of the legs was what threw me off most, but it may be either a trick of the light of, indeed, a possible cross-over. 

8 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

The pale yellow of the legs was what threw me off most,

Well they actually look flesh pink on my screen. I never even considered Yellow legged.

13 hours ago, Galana said:

Well they actually look flesh pink on my screen

Ok, I’ll add colour-blindness to my ever-growing list of ailments :)

I also put the Gull in question to the Dutch Birding experts. They confirmed my first impression of a Caspian Gull, so I think I’ll follow their conclusion. Thanks again for your thoughts, though! 

A few more, even though progress is rather slow.

46 /NL 46. Common Moorhen. Amersfoort, February. Common they are, but I still like them. They are a little more timid that their aggressive cousins.

P2090768-Edit-X2.jpg

47 /NL 47. Skylark. Arkemheen, February. On our red list unfortunately. One or two were even singing loudly a few days ago, with temperatures just above freezing point, but it felt like spring immediately.

P2120420-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

48 /NL 48. Black-headed Gull. Amersfoort, February. Our commonest gull. The black head is just a little patch now, but I hope that'll soon change.

P2140103-Edit-X2.jpg

One of our local lakes has hosted a pair of unusual geese for a few weeks now: the Upland Goose from South America. It seems that a few escapes have settled in our country, but to be honest I very much doubt whether these two descend from those settlers. They are not ringed and I've seen the flying, but I'm certainly not counting it. They are really beautiful though, the black and white male and the brown female,

P2140104-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

P2140056-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

At least it gave me a touch of other continents in these restricted times. Our more or less planned trip to South Africa had to be postponed due to personal reasons of our fellow-travellers and we'll give it another try in the autumn. In the meantime, though, we have booked a week in Portugal in March, so we hope to add some non-Dutch birds there. And hopefully the weather will be better, too...;)

Sorry your trip has been delayed, but it looks as though Portugal has some great birds

3 hours ago, PeterHG said:

They are not ringed and I've seen them flying, but I'm certainly not counting it.

Up to you of course but I would. Then of course folks know I have no shame at all. Yes they are obviously escapes but so what?

Lovely birds and what a nice couple they make.

Sorry about your lost trip.

Dave Williams

Stick to your principals Peter, Fred's a charlatan !

A charlatan is a quack. Better than being Quackers.

On 2/15/2022 at 7:03 AM, Galana said:

Up to you of course but I would. Then of course folks know I have no shame at all. Yes they are obviously escapes but so what?

Lovely birds and what a nice couple they make.

Sorry about your lost trip.

errr me/we too. 

The Upland Geese  are stunning!!

as always, brilliant additions. 

sorry @PeterHG about your postponed trip but Portugal is an excellent replacement. 

Thanks all for the comments and we are definitely looking forward to our week in Portugal.

The local wetland area did not yield too much in the high winds a few days ago, but I did add a few anyway.

49 /NL49. Golden Plover, Arkemheen, February. Present in fairly large numbers, but mostly far off. A passing light aircraft overhead made all the birds take to the air.

P2220016-XL.jpg

50 /NL50. Ruff. Arkemheen, February. Unfortunately they’re definitely not staying, but it’s nice to have them around for a few months.

P2220085-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

51 / NL51. Tufted Duck. Arkemheen, February. More than just black and white when there is a little sunshine.

P2230280-Edit-XL.jpg

Then a long-postponed twitch. A Pygmy Cormorant has been around for a few months now in a recreational lake, half an hour’s drive away. I had been wanting to go there for some time, but last Wednesday I could combine it with a visit to my son and that made the trip more worthwhile. It took a little time to find it and I could only grab a shot directly into the light, but nobody’s complaining.

52 /NL52. Pygmy Cormorant. Houten, February

P2230388-Edit-XL.jpg

Congratulations on reaching the >50 group.

As you say the Tuftie is not just Black and White at all.