LM's 6th BY, 2021 - in search of consistency, with better photography

lmSA84

200. Californian Brown Pelican, Abbott Lagoon - Point Reyes, August

For number 200 I thought I would share something a bit different.

The bird in question is the Brown Pelican, Californicus sub species.

spacer.png 

My wife's company is based out of San Francisco, so we decided to spend 3 weeks of the Summer there with our young family. With my wife working long hours, I was left to do most of the childcare which most days resulting in me taking the kids to Point Reyes NP, which has an excellent combination of beaches (for the kids), walking trials and birdwatching (for me :D).

On one such trip, we visited Abbotts Lagoon which is located in the North East of the park.

When we arrived we spotted a small family of Northern American River Otters in the far distance, sadly too far to show the kids. A pity.

We wound up spending about an hour by the estuary, the kids playing and me photographing a group of gulls, terns, cormorants, pelicans and egrets. 

spacer.png

Amongst all the sea birds were also a fair few turkey vultures, after scraps of what appeared to be gulls or pelicans. This should have been a clue. 

Just as we got ready to leave I saw a bit of a commotion in the water and funny shaped brown mass.

spacer.png

What had happened is that the otter family from earlier had just made a kill of a Brown Pelican. At the time, I didn't know that this is not uncommon. These otters and a few other groups in California have become quite adept at grabbing the Pelicans from below.

spacer.png 

In all they must have fed on it for about 30mins. Once they were done they made their way back out the estuary and into the main lagoon which afforded me a chance to hassle my kids back along the path to a bridge to catch a close up view of the otters passing by

spacer.png

We were then treated to a sight of them cleaning off for the day! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think this will definitely count as my best wildlife sight of the year!

Good to see the 200 up on the board BUT, for my money, I would give it back for that Otter experience. Truly amazing.

I know the European Otter will take waterfowl, Moorhen, Mallard etc., but a whole Brown Pelican. Americans!:lol:

Congrats on #200 and what an amazing sighting and experience!

Wow, what a fascinating sighting, awesome. Great photos too! Congrats on #200, well done! You are pretty clever with your parenting, sneaking in birding like that. :)

Congratulations on 200, and a great sighting of the otters

Brilliant otter sighting, and interesting to learn about the pelican predation.

congrats on the 200th, and wow I really didn't know that otters take waterfowl at all. what a sighting.

Towlersonsafari

what a splendid sighting- as @Galanasaid  European otters can take sea birds and I have seen a half-hearted attempt by an aotter on a shag, but a brown pelican! and the phptp of the otter peering up at you is lovely

Congratulations on the 200 and a wonderful sighting to go with it!

Congrats on #200 and what a great sighting, I think it´s the first time the bird featured in a BY milestone is killed :D.

Dave Williams

You learns something everyday. Very interesting to read the account of your otters and the comments that followed.

Congrats on the 200.

PS our grandchildren all beyond needing it but childminding doesn't seem so bad after all!!

Thank you all for the comments. @pedro maia- you make a good point! :D

These next set of birds were all taken in and around the town of Fairfax where we were staying. 

201. Oak Titmouse, Marin County, August

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

202. Dark-eyed Junco, Marin County, August

spacer.png

203. House Finch, Marin Country, August

spacer.png

204. Hairy Woodpecker, Marin County, August

spacer.png

205. Anna's Hummingbird, Marin County, August

spacer.png

206. California Towhee, Marin County, August

spacer.png

207. Bushtit, Marin County, August

spacer.png

208. Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Marin County, August

spacer.png

Edited by lmSA84

209. American Robin, Marin County, August

spacer.png

Congratulations on the 200.

What a fantastic sighting of the otters!

@Zim Girl- thanks for following along

210. Western Bluebird, Point Reyes NP, August

This next set of photos are from Point Reyes NP

spacer.png

211. Brewer's Blackbird, Point Reyes NP, August

spacer.png