Zim Girl's 5th Big Year 2022

Zim Girl

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

Lovely Wattled Crane!

Absolutely. A rare and endangered bird and well captured.

9 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

I will leave the typo :D, or else Fred's joke won't make sense!

Too kind. Some would say they rarely do.

A lot of old friends from Zambia - beautiful photos! Especially like the Black-Backed Barbet, would be a lifer for me.

And congratos to your #150 for the UK, well done indeed! I have never (really) seen a Barn Owl in Europe (not counting a shadow flying out of a barn in the night in Seewinkel). And love your Snow Buntings.:)

Thank you @PeterHG, @Galana and @michael-ibk.

The Wattled cranes were much easier to see on the Busanga plains than from camp.  I was surprised how close we were able to get.

On 12/17/2022 at 7:53 PM, michael-ibk said:

A lot of old friends from Zambia - beautiful photos! Especially like the Black-Backed Barbet, would be a lifer for me.

And congratos to your #150 for the UK, well done indeed! I have never (really) seen a Barn Owl in Europe (not counting a shadow flying out of a barn in the night in Seewinkel). And love your Snow Buntings.:)

Thank you Michael.  I am impressed we saw the barbet then if that would have been a lifer for you, given the numbers of birds you have seen.

Re Barn owls, we think there at least a couple that are resident within a couple of miles from home, but still hard to spot them.

@Zim Girl

Congratulations for all those magnificent bird pictures that bring back memories of my 2019 Kafue safari : I especially love your Ashy Flycatcher , Bohm's  Bee-eater and Violet-backed Starling amongst others !

Thank you very much @BRACQUENE.

Last batch of Zambia birds.

188. Z38  Goliath Heron

P1510767c.jpg.9d1a843858f93c1c573cd598cb1efaa1.jpg

Seen at spot by big boulders on tfr between Ntemwa and Musekese.

189. Z39  Malachite Kingfisher

P1510830c.jpg.cdcbd2805d987dfee260c375ab8e120b.jpg

Kafue river

192. Z42  African Barred Owlet

P1510979c.jpg.59d5b1d4926cc2a8f25c0d84dfbe9855.jpg

Musekese camp

193. Z43  Blacksmith Lapwing

P1520007c.jpg.9314cfbf2fd1e525f1819a25f912a95e.jpg

Kafue river

194. Z44  African Skimmer

P1520036c.jpg.38d845a0f5648703397f091759e81d17.jpg

P1520054c.jpg.c2aa76c155d598d2b3d0dc1c3f3c1620.jpg

Kafue river

196. Z46  Square-tailed Nightjar

P1520165c.jpg.0484db3f969aae30aafd4da54d95334d.jpg

That is the end of the Zambia birds.  Not many, I know, and I have rather annoyingly ended up on 196/Z46, so now I need to get to the 200!

The weather here recently has been dreadful, as other UK BY'ers will know, so haven't been able to get out. But, a couple of weeks to go so you never know.

Edited by Zim Girl

So I have found another Zambia bird.  I had ignored it originally because it wasn't a great picture and I didn't know what it was.  I have had another look and I still don't know what it is :wacko: other than pretty boring LBJ.  Maybe one of the many cisticolas or warblers??    Any ideas please?

197. Z47  Tawny-flanked Prinia

P1510508c.jpg.0679c40a6f438152b868431d0f09988d.jpg

Ntemwa camp

Edited by Zim Girl
ID for bird (thanks to Tdgraves)

I love the Owlet! Good luck in finding the remaining 4!

Beautiful photos of the Skimmer, and an excellent total (so far😊)

Owlet's always do it for me so love the Barred Owlet.

Your mystery bird puts me in mind of a Nightingale or similar.

wonderful collection from Zambia. 

still 11 days to end December for just 4 remaining birds (or mb three with the unidentified zambian bird). 

Thank you @PeterHG, @TonyQ, @Galana, and @Kitsafari.

@Tdgraves, I looked up the prinia (one of the few birds I hadn't already trawled through), and it def fits better with general body and tail shape, and the juveniles apparently have yellowish underparts and bill, which mine has, so I think I will go with that, thank you.  Now 3 more to go!

A beautiful collection!

Dave Williams

Some stunning birds, I'd love to see a Skimmer and I'm envious that everyone sees great close ups of Violet=backed Starling when I never even see them.

Hope you are out there looking for the 3 you need. Good luck on that one and don't forget the fridge!

On 12/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, Dave Williams said:

Some stunning birds, I'd love to see a Skimmer and I'm envious that everyone sees great close ups of Violet=backed Starling when I never even see them.

Hope you are out there looking for the 3 you need. Good luck on that one and don't forget the fridge!

Thank you, Dave.

2 down and one to go, but fast running out of time!