Zim Girl's 5th Big Year 2022

Zim Girl

Well I did actually get the 3 birds I needed, although not without quite a bit of effort.

In order of quality (if that word can be attached in any way to the first picture)!

This one is a UK lifer and it took many attempts to find it.  It had been sighted regularly at Leighton Moss over the last two weeks and we popped in as many times as we could to try and find it but it remained elusive.  We had one last go on the 31st and finally it showed itself.  A long way off and in poor light but there it was.  A helpful RSPB staff member was standing with us at the time and also confirmed the ID.

198.  UK 151  Water Pipit

P1520769c.jpg.4767a91cfe42c101ae1d51ed36ea6248.jpg

RSPB Leighton Moss  -  31/12/22

The next one was more or less guaranteed, as they come back every year to the same place.  However, it is still tricky to find a couple of Bewick's swans in amongst several hundred Whoopers, especially as they tend to stay at the far end of the fields.  This one took several trips as well. A walk in the area on Christmas Day did the trick.

199.  UK 152  Bewick's Swan

P1520741c.jpg.f4d09c2c7641aec05975210a9d10575a.jpg

Near Glasson, North Lancs  -  25/12/22

The last one we thought was going to be hardest to find, actually ended up being the easiest.  

200.  UK 153  Water Rail

P1520647c.jpg.ba405e60ef8e840e3b7b2103a42e5e89.jpg

P1520678c.jpg.0cd41302229ae9eb2f2ca0065b7d7282.jpg

P1520680c.jpg.18ae8f285d8243dcb9bb43d2968c9c52.jpg

Foulshaw Moss  -  24/12/22

So my numbers for 2022 ended up being my best yet for BY.

200 is my best overall total.  This could have been better if I had tried harder in Zambia.

153 is my best UK birds total, which I am more pleased with to be honest.

Of the 153, I got 18 new UK birds.

Now, question is, do I do it all over again for next year?

Well done on chasing down the 200, and A great bird to get it.

Well done on your UK total as well.

17 minutes ago, Zim Girl said:

Of course you do:D

Congratulations and well done on achieving 200! A very good UK total as well. I do hope you’ll join again this year !

Congratulations on the double century - I’ve never seen a rail and I’m sure if I added up my uk birds the total would be pitiful in comparison 

What a great sighting of the Water Rail and a fine end to your year.

You certainly put in the miles for those three and the Bewicks are worth it. Yet to figure in ANY of my BYs but fingers always crossed.

21 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

You should! The Water Rail for #200 - congratulations!

Thank you @TonyQ, @PeterHG, @Tdgraves, @Galana and @xelas.

20 hours ago, Galana said:

What a great sighting of the Water Rail and a fine end to your year.

You certainly put in the miles for those three and the Bewicks are worth it. Yet to figure in ANY of my BYs but fingers always crossed.

We get just a few Bewick's, maybe 6-8 individuals, each year with all the Whoopers.  They spread out across several fields in the Cockerham/Thurnham area just south of Glasson Dock, which is south of Lancaster.  

3 hours ago, Zim Girl said:

south of Glasson Dock,

That's worth knowing. I take time will be early December to about mid April? That's when our Whoopers are here. 55 this year which is higher than normal.

@Zim Girl

Congratulations  with your score and most importantly your sightings and of course you will participate again next year ;)

Congratulations on a new high score and particularly your UK total. Some great finds in there 

20 hours ago, Galana said:

That's worth knowing. I take time will be early December to about mid April? That's when our Whoopers are here. 55 this year which is higher than normal.

I think the first sighting of 2 adult Bewick's was on 24th November along with the first few dozen Whoopers.  I think a max of 6 have been seen so far.  The Whoopers are into the low hundreds.  I will try to remember to make a note of when they all leave.

congrats on the 2nd century! wow a rail to wrap the year up is a good one. 

see you in the new BY forum. :) 

Peter Connan

A lovely way to end! Congratulations.

Congrats Angie, you really went out with a bang. Great Water Rail photos - don't think I had one this year. And please do come back!😊

Congrats on #200 with a very cool bird!

On 1/7/2023 at 9:55 AM, michael-ibk said:

Congrats Angie, you really went out with a bang. Great Water Rail photos - don't think I had one this year. And please do come back!😊

Thanks Michael.  I am sure I will do, just waiting for the weather to play ball!