PeterHG's eighth BY

PeterHG

Some more from the Bigi Pan area:

116 / SU 84. Neotropic Cormorant. Bigi Pan, February.

P2221567-Edit-X2.jpg

117 / SU 85. Cocoi Heron. Bigi Pan, February. Common in the area, but seen only once in the rest of the country.

P2221659-Edit-X2.jpg

118 / SU 86. Roseate Spoonbill. Bigi Pan, February. The only one, we saw. Very distant, so a large crop.

P2221681-Edit-2-XL.jpg

119 / SU 87. Greater Yellowlegs. Bigi Pan, February. Only seen here. We also saw some lesser cousins, but no change for a photo.

P2221703-Edit-X2.jpg

120 / SU 88. Magnificent Frigatebird. Bigi Pan, February. One of the boat trips through the creeks took us to a spot close to the sea. A few minutes wading through the mud gave us the only sighting of this bird.

P2221796-X2.jpg

121 / SU 89. Pale-vented Pigeon. Bigi Pan, February. Perhaps not really pigeon country, but it always seems any area is pigeon country.

P2221812-Edit-X2.jpg

122 / SU 90. Carib Grackle. Bigi Pan, February. 

P2232002-Edit-XL.jpg

123 / SU 91. Wood Stork. Bigi Pan, February. The only area we saw this species.

P2232025-Edit-X2.jpg

WOW on the scarlet ibis. such a brilliant colour

Thank you @Kitsafari. This was definitely my favourite bird of the trip!

From Bigi Pan we drove back to the little village of Groningen, named after our city in the north of the country. After the very basic accommodation we had opted for a little more luxury for two nights, meaning half of this apartment. A very nice place, with delicious food and the possibility of a boat trip on the river. On our last day we booked a river cruise, but the rain made sure we saw almost no birds. Still we liked it here and we did get a few new ones for the list.

Suriname-J-38-XL.jpg

124 / SU 92. Piratic Flycatcher. Groningen, February. Probably the eye-patch that inspired the name.

P2242051-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

125 / SU 93. Little Cuckoo. Groningen, February. Seen from our terrace and only this once.

P2242057-X2.jpg

126 / SU 94 Black-tailed Tityra. Groningen, February.

IMG_4874-X2.jpg

127 / SU 95. Spectacled Thrush. Groningen, February. The pale-breasted thrush was by far the most common thrush, but we did see its spectacled cousin in several locations.

IMG_4875-Edit-X2.jpg

128 / SU 96. Plain-crowned Spinetail. Groningen, February. Already the third spinetail species I managed to take a photo of.

IMG_4876-X2.jpg

129 / SU 97. Crested Caracara. Groningen, February. Much rarer than the yellow-headed caracara. I think we only saw it twice. Both times far away.

IMG_4882-Edit-XL.jpg

130 / SU 98. White-throated Toucan. Groningen, February. We heard it calling for some time and finally we spotted it in some distant trees. A lifer, so worth the effort.

IMG_4909-Edit-XL.jpg

131 / SU 99. Greater Ani. Groningen, February. The light eyes (and the size) distinguish it from the smooth-billed Ani, the most common variety.

IMG_4957-Edit-X2.jpg

132 / SU 100. Barred Antshrike. Groningen, February. An unmistakable antshrike. First the male:

IMG_4901-X2.jpg

And then the female:

IMG_4891-Edit-X2.jpg

For our last few days we returned to the Commewijne area, east of the capital. A different location though, the 'Hotel de Plantage'. A very nice place close to the jingle with basic, but adequate accommodation.

133 / SU 101. Greater Yellow-headed Vulture. Commewijne, February. Probably almost as common as the Lesser Yellow=headed Vulture, but pretty hard to distinguish, especially when high up in the sky. So this was the first positive ID.

P2252366-X3.jpg

134 / SU 102. Cream-coloured Woodpecker. Commewijne, February. I had hoped to see one here and fortunately we did, but not a great picture unfortunately. A lifer, though.

P2262445-Edit-X2.jpg

135 / SU 103. Little Hermit. Commewijne, February. Only seen once, on a short jungle walk. Another lifer.

IMG_4990-Edit-X2.jpg

136 / SU 104. Striped Woodcreeper. Commewijne, February.

P2272700-X2.jpg

137 / SU 105. Green-tailed Jacamar. Commewijne, February. A beautiful forest bird, hummingbird-like, but much bigger.

IMG_5059-Edit-X2.jpg

138 / SU 106. Western Sandpiper. Commewijne, February. On the mudflats along the river.

IMG_5067-XL.jpg

139 / SU 107. Little Blue Heron. Commewijne, February. We saw them in several locations, though never in great numbers/

An adult:

P2272802-X2.jpg

And an immature:

P2272810-Edit-X3.jpg

140 / SU 108. Turquoise Tanager. Commewijne, February. A colourful member of the tanager family. A lifer.

IMG_5094-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

141 / SU 109. Black-collared Hawk. Commewijne, February.

P2283044-X2.jpg

142 / SU 110. Ash-throated Crake. Commewijne, February. Seen on our last morning. Another lifer.

IMG_5140-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

This concludes (I think) the Suriname collections. I managed to ID about 140 species. This is lower than I had expected, but 55 of these were lifers, which wasn't bad at all. Better weather conditions and some good guiding would undoubtedly have led to more species, but we thoroughly enjoyed our trip anyway.

michael-ibk

The Turquoise Tanager is really beautiful! Did you have to attract the Crake or did it pose voluntarily? That's a pretty skulky species I found. Thanks for sharing your Surinam photos, I greatly enjoyed seeing them. Sorry about the amount of rain you had, but that's what we get for traveling to rainforest areas. 🙂

Thanks for taking us along with you.

A remarkable trip indeed.

What an odd plumage variance between young and adult Blue Herons.

Thanks Miichael and you are right, of course about the rainforests. Before the ever-increasing effects of climate change, this was supposed to be a dry period, with the occasional short shower. But the once familiar rhytm of the seasons has changed everywhere. It won't stop us travelling, though ;)

42 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Did you have to attract the Crake or did it pose voluntarily

It volunteered. Just walked out into the open from some dense undergrowth and showed itself for some minutes. We were amazed, too.

Thank you, Fred for tagging along.

Just now, Galana said:

What an odd plumage variance between young and adult Blue Herons.

Yes, it looks like a different species altogether, doesn't it?

Lots of great pictures as expected, Peter, thanks for posting them.

Peter Connan

Such beautiful photos, and so many new birds! Thank you.

A terrific collection Peter. The Barred Antshrike is certainly a striking bird, whether male or female plumage.

Excellent count and birds, @PeterHG!  However, you've said 140 IDs but has only posted 110 ?!

Thank you @pedro maia @Peter Connan @Soukous @xelas

4 hours ago, xelas said:

However, you've said 140 IDs but has only posted 110 ?!

Rub it in, rub it in...! I know, I have not been able to photograph all the birds I managed to ID. A sure sign of getting old....:P

2 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

I know, I have not been able to photograph all the birds I managed to ID. A sure sign of getting old

Don't be too hard on yourself Peter. That has to be better than not being able to ID the birds you've photographed. :P:blink:

10 minutes ago, Soukous said:

That has to be better than not being able to ID the birds you've photographed. :P:blink:

That is a comforting turn of phrase, Martin, thank you! :D

Edited by PeterHG

9 hours ago, Soukous said:

That has to be better than not being able to ID the birds you've photographed. :P:blink:

If I could I would give that comment three 'likes'.

After returning home it was time again to visit the local patches. Fortunately the godwits had already returned. I noticed that I have doubled nr 135, so I'll skip a number and continue with:

144 / NL 34. Black-tailed Godwit. Arkemheen, March.

P3113252-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

145 /NL 35. Canada Goose. Arkemheen, March

P3153579-Edit-X2.jpg

146 / NL 36. Common Redshank. Arkemheen, March.

P3153654-Edit-X2.jpg

P3153701-Edit-X2.jpg

147 / NL 37. Common Kingfisher. Amersfoort, March. We've got a pair nesting about 300 metres from where I live. Unfortunately some photographers ( I don't see them as birders) venture to close to the nest, so I hope they won't leave the site. I have sometimes politely asked them not to do that, but to take photos from behind the hedge at a safe distance, but mostly this is not appreciated.

The male:

P3173790-edit-X2.jpg

and the female:

P3173778-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

michael-ibk

How beautiful to have a pair of Kingfishers so close to your home. Hopefully they won't be scared seas and give up their brood! 

Peter Connan

Wow again...

beautiful images. good on you to tell them, whether they like it or not. 

Thank you @michael-ibk @Peter Connan @Kitsafari

A morning walk in the local wetland area brought a nice surprise.

148 NL 38. Northern Goshawk. Arkemheen, March

P3303867-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

For the first time in several years we had some tenants in the garden.

149 / NL 39. Blue Tit, Amersfoort, April

P4034019-Edit-X2.jpg

P4034078-Edit-X2.jpg

150 / NL 40. Eurasian Oystercatcher. Arkemheen, April

P4044261-Edit-X2.jpg

One of my favourites from the brambles along the dyke in the wetland area. 

151 / NL 41. Common Linnet. Arkemheen, April. 

P4044350-X2.jpg

P4156042-Edit-X2.jpg

Mr and Mrs Linnet

P4156140-Edit-X2.jpg

152 / NL 42. European Stonechat. Arkemheen, April. The stonechat can only be found here when passing through. Like a flycatcher it was trying to catch insects in the air, using the reed stems as a perch. Great to watch and, of course, an irresistable challenge in trying to capture the action.

P4044445-XL.jpg

P4044456-Edit-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

michael-ibk

Fantastic in flight shots, these little guys are really tough. Bravo Peter! 

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

these little guys are really tough

Thanks Michael, they are and that’s why it’s so much fun to try and grab them. Of course I’m happy my camera is up to the challenge and to find a mosquito in the shot when you see it in the computer is a bonus!

6 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

Of course I’m happy my camera is up to the challenge and to find a mosquito in the shot when you see it in the computer is a bonus!

Oh Peter, what you should have said is that you were photographing the mosquito and got photo-bombed by the Stonechat :P

It allways amazes me how the damn birds seem to freeze in the air for your pictures.

Edited by pedro maia