PeterHG's eighth BY

PeterHG

michael-ibk

How delightful to find a Little Owl! 

Thanks @michael-ibk! It's always special to see an owl and certainly nice to have a more or less reliable spot to find one.

A little trip to yet another wetland area, a 40 minutes' drive form here. I should go back a little later as my visit was too early for the Black Terns that can be found here, but I hoped for a few more reed birds already.

167 / NL 57. Reed Bunting. Ameide, April. The male is quite striking and often conspcuous, singing in the top of the reed stems.

P4156078-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

168 / NL 58. Eurasian Wren. Ameide, April. You can't miss their song, though actually finding and photographing them may be a little harder.

P4176160-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

169 / NL 59. Blackcap. Ameide, April.

P4176218-X2.jpg

170 / NL 60. Common Chiffchaff. Ameide, April. Always among the first to return in spring. The pear tree blossoms provided a nice setting.

P4176257-Edit-X2.jpg

171 / NL 61. Common Pochard. Ameide, April. Strangely enough this is one of the few places where you can usually get quite close to these ducks.

The male during take-off

P4176348-X2.jpg

And a more relaxed female:

P4176281-Edit-X2.jpg

172 / NL 62. Common Chaffinch. Ameide, April. 

P4176357-X2.jpg

A two hour-walk produced just over 40 species. In May it is not uncommon to spot over 50. One of the areas I had in mind for you @Soukousand @Galana;)

25 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

One of the areas I had in mind for you @Soukousand @Galana;)

Very kind. If my trip does happen and you are unavailable as a guide I must ask for an itinerary with GPS co-ordinates.:D

Edit.

Almost forgot to comment on the latest batch of excellent series of photos.

Edited by Galana
added text.

39 minutes ago, Galana said:

If my trip does happen and you are unavailable as a guide I must ask for an itinerary with GPS co-ordinates.:D

I promise! :D. But I do hope to come with you...

How special to see an Owl! Flowering trees provides a great scenery for your birds.

Thank you @xelas

173 / NL 63. Cetti's Warbler. Ameide, April. Quite common these days, but, as we all know, pretty hard to photograph. I had to maual focus this one, but happy to have bagged it.

P4176297-X2.jpg

174 / NL 64. Meadow Pipit. Arkemheen, April. A much easier one, fortunately. Taken from the car.

P4176472-Edit-X2.jpg

175 / NL 65. Barn Swallow. Arkemheen, April. Always special to see them back in spring. Nest-building is their number one activity now.

P4227236-Edit-X2.jpg

P4237448-Edit-X2.jpg

176 / NL 66. House Martin. Arkemheen, April. They seem to be recovering a little from the rapid decline of the last decades.

P4237521-Edit-X2.jpg

P4237624-Edit-X2.jpg

177 / NL 67. Horned/ Slavonian Grebe. There was a sighting of this uncommon grebe in the same area, so I took a walk along the dyke, hoping to find it. And I did, though it stayed pretty far away. Still a beautiful sight. I had never before seen it in summer plumage (though our upcoming trip to Iceland might have accomplished that, I think) and it is a gorgeous bird.

P4237388-Edit-XL.jpg

I think you use strings to hang those birds an then use photoshop to remove them, it´s the only reasonable explanation for those pictures :D.

michael-ibk

Great swallows indeed, and cool to see a Slawonian Grebe in breeding plumage! 

1 hour ago, pedro maia said:

I think you use strings to hang those birds an then use photoshop to remove them,

Caught red-handed, I'm afraid....:unsure:

Great swallows Peter but it’s the Cetti’s as you might think that I’m interested in : true it has become a regular one due to global warming but the sensation of photographing the bird is unforgettable!

Darn, Peter, you are pushing the BIF ladder higher with each post!

Slavonian Grebe is so special.

Peter Connan

Incredible photography Peter!

Thanks @pedro maia @michael-ibk @BRACQUENE @xelas @Peter Connan

178 / NL 68. Stock Dove. Arkemheen, April. Rather common in the meadows around here, but never as confiding as the wood pigeons. I always smile to myself when I add this species and  type in the English name. It is very similar to our Dutch 'stokdoof', which means completely deaf.

P4237590-X2.jpg

179 / NL 69. Little Ringed Plover. Arkemheen, April. The default ringed plover in the area albeit in small numbers.

P4176405-X2.jpg

180 / NL 70. Song Thrush. Leusden, April. 

P4196747-Topaz%20Denoise-X2.jpg

The 27th of April is the day our king celebrates his birthday. A day off for everybody and festivities in many towns and villages. We usually spend this day avoiding the crowds and visit one or two nature reserves. They have all become much busier since the Covid years, but on this day a lot of people prefer the orange-coloured towns, so it was  relatively quiet in the two wetland areas we visited. They are both in our northernmost  province of Groningen, a drive of a little under two hours. The first is near the 'Zuidlaardermeer'. This largely consists of so-called 'summer polders', flooded grasslands which hold many meadowbirds, but also typical marsh birds, like Marsh Harrier, Rails and a recent inhabitant: the Whiskered Tern. That was our target bird for the reserve, as there is no other reliable spot to find this tern, which is still quite rare, but slowly gaining ground.. There were some clouds, but on the whole it was quite sunny in the morning, so perfect for a walk.

181 / NL 71. Yellow Wagtail. Oostpolder, April

P4277695-Edit-X2.jpg

182 / 72. White Stork. Oostpolder, April

P4277702-X2.jpg

183 / NL 73. Sedge Warbler. Oostpolder, April. Also present in fairly large numbers in our local areas

P4277863-X2.jpg

184 / NL 74. Black-necked Grebe. Oostpolder, April. Also one of our targets here. They mostly kept their distance but this one allowed a much closer view.

P4277747-Edit-X2.jpg

And fortunately we did not fail in our Tern mission. They had already arrived and though we did not see one on our walk, when we returned to the car there were four or five of them flying around over a shallow part of the lake.

185 / NL 75. Whiskered Tern. Oostpolder, April.

P4277945-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

P4278076-Edit-X2.jpg

A very worthwhile excursion. Target met. Love the BN Grebe too.

UK don't get a holiday for their Sovereign's birthday. I would ring him up and complain but have mislaid his number.

The second area we visited was the large 'Lauwersmeer' also way up north between the provinces of Groningen and Friesland. It is a well-know area for birders as it attracts many waders, especially during migration. Uncommon  species and even vagrants ,might turn up here. Mostly it is not the best place for photography as a telescope is needed to get a good view of the targets. But sometimes Ducks, Gulls or Terns will fly by, offering a photographic opportunity.

186 / NL 76. Common Tern. Lauwersmeer, April.

P4278389-X2.jpg

187 / NL 77. Whimbrel. Lauwersmeer, April. Unmistakable call.

P4278457-Edit-X2.jpg

188 / NL 78. Black Tern. Lauwersmeer, April. I usually visit another reserve to see them, but there were quite a few present here.

P4278465-X2.jpg

189 / NL 79. Little Gull. Lauwersmeer, April. A very rare breeding bird, but the end of April is the peak of their migration to the Baltic regions or even Siberia. I had never seen so many gathered in one place and some of them came quite close.

P4278553-X2.jpg

P4278567-Edit-X2.jpg

190 / NL 80. Northern Pintail. Lauwersmeer, April. Also quite a few present. but mostly far off. This group of 6 males and one female flew by. 

P4278707-X2.jpg

191 / 81. Caspian Tern. Lauwersmeer, April. This one of the few places you might see a Caspian Tern during migration. Very distant, but the substantial crop still shows seven species in one shot ;). All counted except for the Caspians.

P4278731-X2.jpg

192 / NL 82. Black Swan. Lauwersmeer, April. Originally invasive of course, but there is a feral population of 40-60 pairs.

P4278794-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

And we did see a vagrant. It had been reported here a few days before and I had hoped to find it. It had not been seen that day, however, so when I scanned the distant mudflats I had little hope. But suddenly I saw it fly in and alerted other birders to the fact. Way too far for the camera, but the phone and the scope at least provided a record shot...

193 / NL 83. Marsh Sandpiper. Lauwersmeer, April.

IMG_7115-L.jpg

19 minutes ago, Galana said:

UK don't get a holiday for their Sovereign's birthday. I would ring him up and complain but have mislaid his number.

And he planned his coronation in the weekend as well.....

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

Yes, but there is a bank holiday on Monday….

@PeterHGstunning photos and a very fine collection of birds.

Well done with your terns and Grebes, and the beautiful Bluethroat.

6 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Coronations are few and far between ( I have seen two but few have) I was at school for the first and too old for the 2nd.  But I have missed out on almost 40 Sovereign's birthdays. That's six weeks off work they owe me!! :angry:

And while this was all going down I almost missed the rest of your birds of the outing. Well done.

Thank you @TonyQ @Galana @Tdgraves

21 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

Yes, but there is a bank holiday on Monday….

Especially for the coronation? That is something at least ;)

17 hours ago, Galana said:

That's six weeks off work they owe me!! :angry:

I'm sure they'll find a way to compensate you, once you get back to work :D

194 / NL 84. Tree Sparrow. Arkemheen, April. A lot less common than they used to be.

P4298815-Edit-X2.jpg

195 / NL 85. Eurasian Reed Warbler. Arkemheen, April. They have also arrived, a few weeks after the sedge warbler. More difficult to spot, though.

P4298834-Edit-X2.jpg

A few I forgot to post earlier on...

196 / NL 86. Blackbird. Amersfoort, January. Fortunately they are doing better than a few years ago.

P1196957-X2.jpg

197 / NL 87. Meditteranean Gull. Zevenhoven, April. Their whining call often betrays their presence.

P4085106-XL.jpg

198 / NL 88. Common Whitethroat. Arkemheen, April. Common in the area and quite conspicuous in their song flight.

P4309101-Edit-X2.jpg

P5019259-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

199 / NL 89. Common Cuckoo. Arkemheen, May. They have only arrived here less than a week ago and I love their call.

P5019281-Edit-X2.jpg

Okay, a common little bird for #200, but I'm qvery happy with the way it posed a few times.

200 / NL 90. Willow Warbler. Arkemheen, May.

P4309062-X2.jpg

A back-lit beauty...

P5019241-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Wow to your Whitethroat (perched and flying) and to your Cuckoo!

Well done on 200

Congrats on the double century 

michael-ibk

Congrats on #200, well done! Really excellent photos - as always! Love the Cuckoo.