Show us your leopard pics...

Game Warden

gallery_5618_374_156109.jpg

Nice photos, Johan (and everyone else.) I'll try my luck posting one. The photo was taken at Mala Mala in 2001. It was 4 cameras ago, a Canon SLR APS, so this is just a digital image from the CD returned with my photos.

Johan, one of your leopards has a bluish-greyish eye color. How common? Depending on sex or age?

I am not an expert on that particular subject :o

Johan, one of your leopards has a bluish-greyish eye color. How common? Depending on sex or age?

I didn't know the answer either, so I decided too look it up.

But Estes' guide and Lee Gutteridge's book both do not mention eye color. So I got all reason to believe that leopards eyes are rather uniform, and certainly do not depend on age of gender. Otherwise those books surely would mention that.

I tried my old friend, Google, as well. But of course; there are a lot of leopard types out there, and some have gray eyes. Like snow leopards. The wiki page does not mention eye color either, but talks a lot about color- and pattern variations of the skin. Funny enough, there is a leopard with grayish eyes on that page as well.

What if it is just the blue sky reflecting? I got that in my pics of my domestic cats as well; eye color on a gloomy day, inside the house is rather different than eye color in the sunshine, outside.

B.regs,

J.

• 3 months later...
Game Warden

Here's a great and unusual series of images from Safarimama, (she's asked me to post them up here for you all...) and all commentaries are her words.

gallery_6041_419_5125502.jpg

A leopard on a monitor lizard is highly unusual

gallery_6041_419_2852508.jpg

he is a big male leopard

gallery_6041_419_3645772.jpg

it is a huge monitor lizard that he killed

gallery_6041_419_5009743.jpg

he's trying to lick off the fur, but a lizard has only scales

gallery_6041_419_95763.jpg

I don't think he likes it that much

gallery_6041_419_694856.jpg

leppie eating lizzie

gallery_6041_419_356361.jpg

that scaly skin is tough

gallery_6041_419_3397421.jpg

leppie stood up to get a better grip

gallery_6041_419_1945407.jpg

then he went off and threw up

gallery_6041_419_1877491.jpg

leppie walks away from his kill

gallery_6041_419_5518942.jpg

the next morning the kill is still there

gallery_6041_419_674330.jpg

lizzie with his toungue hanging out

mmmmm - tastes like chicken.

Great photos.

Mukambi Safari Lodge

Wow! Some great shots on this thread.

Here is what the Kafue National Park has to offer...

gallery_11069_406_139794.jpg

gallery_11069_406_119953.jpg

gallery_11069_406_4609.jpg

Game Warden, may I remind you about the size restrictions when posting images? It appears you are responsible for posting some oversized leopards and lizards!!!!! I'll find the link to posting images somewhere, mmmmm, I'll have to get back to you when I've found them.

:o:):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Game Warden

Wow, you are right: have only just seen some of those sizes. Lets say they are just on the limit... :o And you'll have to blame Safarimama - they're in her album, I merely linked...

Well, let's just say that this is a warning, Game Warden. Next time I'll just have to report you to a higher authority! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

some pics from my Zambia tour last year in november.

South Luangwa National Park, Canon DSLR, most pics with 400mm lens or with zooms 100-400 and 70-200

101121_072444_7190_canon%20eos%201dmkii_std.jpg

101121_075231_7458_canon%20eos%201dmki_bea_aus_du-t_std.jpg

You can find more pictures under

Kafue-Luangwa-Zambezi

and especially

South Luangwa Leopards

Regards

Tassilo

Game Warden

What a great first post - welcome to Safaritalk Tassilo: looking forward to seeing many more of your images!

Matt

thank you Matt !

Alex The Lion

Great images, Tassilo.

Which area of SLNP were you in?

I have a terrible record with seeing Leopards (though make up for it with Cheetah and Wild Dog sightings)

Wow! Welcome :)

What had you done to upset that second leopard?

Fantastic, thanks Tassilo.

You can find more pictures under

Kafue-Luangwa-Zambezi

Tassilo,

You have some simply amazing images in here. Thank you so much for sharing.

I loved the buffalo with a face full of ox-peckers and the boomslang with frog, not to mention the beautiful river landscapes.

I also recognised the old scar faced male lion eating the puku! Where abouts in the park was that photo taken?

Where did you stay in Lower Zambezi?

Great images, Tassilo.

Which area of SLNP were you in?

I have a terrible record with seeing Leopards (though make up for it with Cheetah and Wild Dog sightings)

Hi Russel,

this was near the banks of the river, direction chichele, president's drive loop.

May be you know the pontoon which operates in the dryer season, in november there was even a fort.

We cross the river near Kafunta River Lodge, and going 1-2 km southwards.

In 2005, 2008 and 2009 I have no or only bad sightings of leopards in South Luangwa NP, but in 2010 it was really terrific ! Nearly every day of my stay I have good sightings.

Regards

Tassilo

Tassilo,

You have some simply amazing images in here. Thank you so much for sharing.

I loved the buffalo with a face full of ox-peckers and the boomslang with frog, not to mention the beautiful river landscapes.

I also recognised the old scar faced male lion eating the puku! Where abouts in the park was that photo taken?

Where did you stay in Lower Zambezi?

Hi ZaminOz

thank you very much !

Going from Kafunta through the official fort to the other side of the river in the park: this was the place where many of the pictures were taken (chichele, presidents drive loop)

I stay at Kafunta River Lodge in SNLP,

and in Lower Zambezi at Kanyemba Lodge

Regards

Tassilo

@ twaffle: thank you !

@ ZaminOz: I presume that the baby hippo was killed by one of the adult leopards.

The young male came across and try to feed at the carcass, but the adult female chased the young male away.

His reaction was to try to chase our car away - it was a mock attack and I think the poor boy was a bit frustrated....

Regards

Tassilo

aussieinafrica

Hiya Tilo - amazing the places we see each other! Thanks for sharing some of the leopard pics from Luangwa! Hope you're saving up the pennies for your next trip to Africa!

Here are a few of my shots from South Luangwa last year - we were lucky enough to have 5 leopard encounters in 36 hours - some not so photogenic, but Alice was a real treat to meet!

gallery_12161_444_35500.jpg

South Luangwa - 2010

gallery_12161_444_137810.jpg

"Alice" - 2010... we were the only vehicle in sight, and managed to watch Alice chill for around 45 minutes with no-one else around - pure bliss!

gallery_12161_444_103617.jpg

Alice - time to go and stretch the legs..

gallery_12161_444_212777.jpg

Our final game drive for the trip - of course, we had to get a wonderful farewell from the 'locals'!

Take care - Meegan

Hiya Tilo - amazing the places we see each other! Thanks for sharing some of the leopard pics from Luangwa! Hope you're saving up the pennies for your next trip to Africa!Take care - Meegan

Hi Meegan,

great to find you here too !

Not sure if I can do a Zambia trip this year, but will see.

The african rivers calling me every night in my dreams.

And Nyaminyami's voice is very strong :)

Best wishes

Tilo

PS: please give my best regards to all (Tommy, Fufuza, Richard, Riccardo.....)

• 4 weeks later...

Having recently returned from South Luangwa NP and a couple of days in Chobe NP, here are a quick 3 images from the trip. Lots more images to go thru but I have to say I am very very pleased with all the leopard sightings. We saw 8 leopards in 5 days in SLNP - 3 of them ( 2 males and a female)in one morning! And then in Chobe was saw 2 leopards (a male and female)on the same day in the early morning - the male headed away into the bush but the female was up a tree with her kill.

For now I hope you like these ....

SLNP

Leopard4.jpg

Leopard10.jpg

Chobe NP

Leoparda.jpg

• 1 month later...

Linyanti, June 2011

We saw 5 leopards in 3 days. They were all quite active and one had an impala kill up a tree. She and her almost fully grown cub run up and down the tree several times in the course of about 20minutes.

gallery_6752_472_97108.jpg

gallery_6752_472_100536.jpg

gallery_6752_472_107229.jpg

gallery_6752_472_107817.jpg

gallery_6752_472_114401.jpg

gallery_6752_472_49183.jpg

gallery_6752_472_72654.jpg

gallery_6752_472_59569.jpg

gallery_6752_472_62137.jpg

gallery_6752_472_87698.jpg

gallery_6752_472_48218.jpg

gallery_6752_472_128296.jpg

gallery_6752_472_90593.jpg

Love the ones of the leopard climbing up and down the tree: great composition and lines. (Not that my opinion is worth 2 cents...)