SAFARI LEWA

Brian's Art for Animals

Brian … you are killing me with these videos!!!! I don't want to be here I want to be there, grrrrrrrr. :huh:

So many of the views are so familiar it's like looking at a home video and not being allowed back.

Thanks and keep them coming. I've embedded the last 2 for you.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian's Art for Animals

• twaffle

• Atravelynn

• Leely

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great unobstructed shots of those black and white rhinos!

Brian's Art for Animals

twaffle, thanks for helping me out. i stink at computer codes. I really never feel at ease on a horse.

Yup, it is nice to look bad. Kind of sad as well, as I want to go back and really not sure if i will ever be able to afford Lewa anymore. I want to go to India or Yellowstone in 2011, and hopefully back to somewhere in Africa in 2012..who knows. I really get depressed if i think about how long i have to wait in between trips. I am ready to retire and travel full time :huh:

The shots of the white rhino were fun. I was leaning the video camera over the jeep trying to get at eye level. I had about 12 minutes of the big guy eating grass, but figured the average You Tube viewer will get bored after 10 seconds.

It may sound cheesy, but the best is yet to come on this trip...the next 3-4 videos should be fun to make. I figure if I make 2 videos per day there, I have about 15 or so videos to go. Thanks for watching them.

Brian there are other options in Kenya let alone the rest of Africa which would give you a good trip without the expense of Lewa. I know it is little consolation but you probably haven't even started negotiating with LWC itself regarding what you can offer them as a group for special rates. Even looking at camping options for instance. I have no intention of going back to the safari camp at $1000 pppn but would head to Wilderness Trails assuming they haven't bumped the price by double.

Looking forward to the next videos. BTW, do you take the stills as you film or do you have a camera which provides good quality stills as you film. My 7D films HD but you can take a photo whilst filming as well. I haven't managed to get it to work properly yet, but I have tried either! :rolleyes:

Brian's Art for Animals

That is true, in the future I would contact them and ask them what is the best way to stay at a lower price..maybe camping? Maybe sleeping outside the gates and sneaking into a jeep as it goes by..who knows.

What I did was video, and then take pictures also. So the stills you see are from my Canon Digital Rebel.

Maybe sleeping outside the gates and sneaking into a jeep as it goes by.

GuerillaSafaris™ :rolleyes:

Nice job, looking forward to more!

Congrats on the dogs too. Shouldn't it be my turn to see them soon? :o

Maybe sleeping outside the gates and sneaking into a jeep as it goes by.

GuerillaSafaris™ :rolleyes:

Nice job, looking forward to more!

Congrats on the dogs too. Shouldn't it be my turn to see them soon? :P

Patty, I'm with you. Why don't I see dogs when I'm in Kenya? I plead and I beg and I grovel but will anyone listen? No! The powers that be just let others post their pix on forums so that I know that the animals are out there but are laughing at me..... :o

The powers that be just let others post their pix on forums so that I know that the animals are out there but are laughing at me..... :o

...or maybe others are playing a cruel photoshop trick on us, twaffle! :rolleyes:

Brian's Art for Animals

Lion cubs are always fun to watch.

Brian, did your guide tell you whether this lionness was part of a pride or whether she was raising the cubs on her own?

How many prides does Lewa carry at present. When I was there in '08 we saw two young males and the footprints of a lionness with a very young litter of cubs but I didn't find out what the population was.

We saw a leopard and two cubs at that very swamp where you took your lion cub video (back in '05).

Always great to see healthy, nursing cubs. Quite a teaser you've issued for the next installment.

Lion cubs are always fun to watch.

Yes they are! Looking forward to finding out what the scary thing in the tent is.

Brian's Art for Animals

Right off the top of my head, I think Lewa's lion population stays a consistant 20-25 ish. I recall lion tracking some years back and it seemed they have one large pride and maybe one smaller group as well. Or a group of males that come though at times.

I think this female was a part of a pride, but went off to have the cubs, which is interesting.

Again I could be wrong on this. I will try to find out more info.

This is right across from where I saw my first leopard on safari back in 06. It was too late at night and I was too (well I had some drinks) to get any good pics or video.

oh well..stay tuned...

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

Check out the education programs that Lewa supports.

Just caught up with the last 4 vids - fabulous!

Brian's Art for Animals

Thanks. I wish i could put them all out as a dvd after this with added scenes..but that would be too much work and I aint that smart computer-wise i think.

Glad you are all caught up now. I am glad to have this one done, as now I am giving myself a week off from video work. Next drive (video) will have a lot of black rhino footage. It was one of my favorite game drives ever in Africa.

Brian, the best video yet … big congratulations. I hope LWC are seeing what you are doing which promotes their work. They should offer you a deal on your next trip, if not a freebie!

I haven't visited the schools themselves but will be back in January with my sister who is a teacher. How much time did you allow for this and did you arrange it before you arrived?

Brian's Art for Animals

I was contacted by Lewa's marketing person a few weeks ago, and he asked if they could use it on the web, and of course I said Yes..but I have not seen any video posted yet. I hope it attracts some people to not only look into Lewa, but wildlife conservation as a whole and the various benefits it can have.

As for the schools. The visits can be about an hour, and yes I think they are more than happy to take any visitors there, if you let them know ahead of time. The school I taped at is right outside the Lewa gates, so it is very close.

Thanks Brian. Wish I could promise a video report like yours, who knows though, I might give it a try. OR I could send you all my video files and let you produce it!!!! :lol:

Brian's Art for Animals

sure.. I work cheap :lol:

Atravelynn

Not only are your videos entertaining, they do important work for the children near Lewa! Way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

The best black rhino experience I have ever had.

Atravelynn

Very relaxed rhino. Mother, calf, and who was the 3rd one?

Let's hope laziness and greed does not do them in--or the rest of us.