Show us your rhino photos!

Game Warden

Today is International Rhino Day, so what a great excuse to start a new photographic thread! Show us your best rhino shots, and videos, and lets hear the stories behind the image.

Here's mine to start off with, and whilst not exactly a Safari shot, it's one that means a lot to me and my family...

gallery_1_143_63285.jpg

It's my daughter, then 7, feeding Le Roux under the watchful eye of Louise Joubert up at SanWild, (Limpopo Province) a couple of years ago. What an incredible experience for her...

Rhino photos I can do. I took hundreds in January.

The black rhino cow has two calves, her most recent and one from previous years. Her story is coming up in my stalled trip report. ;)

gallery_5545_368_139732.jpg

And because it is rhino day, here is one more of her taken a day later when she charged us … story to come.

gallery_5545_368_72576.jpg

Twaffle that 1st rhino shot is simply fantastic!

Edited by Jochen

My first rhino was a black Rhino in Treetops in Kenya, but it came down to the waterhole when it was dark so we didn't get a photo of him. He was nervous and was scared off by a buffalo. This is the second one I saw, in the Masai Mara:

538616252_ae6a94b706.jpg

Black Rhino by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

and then we saw quite a few more in South Africa last year:

5320250355_166136df5e.jpg

Rhino square by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

5210087208_9e7e0fb11c.jpg

oli to satara 223 White Rhinos by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Ayesha Cantor

23 January, our white rhino gave birth to her second calf, once again highlighting the urgency of keeping our rhino safe from poachers. The day before Bella was born we again received specific intel that both our rhino where a target over the next few days.

We upped our security once again, MTN came to the fore within ours of my call for help and placed booster ariel and system up at no charge ( wow )

Our family felt quite strongly that we should de-horn our rhino to keep them from harm, especially as we have been under such constant and specific threat. We had already sold our magnificent male due to ongoing threats....

De-horning is not a suitable option in a lot of cases especially where rhino have to use their horns for protection against other rhino, elephant and lions etc.

post-10663-1305966951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Game Warden

Ayesha Cantor

Authorities contacted, the vet Dr William Fowlds booked, the date was set. The morning of the dehorning dawned with Bella, the new mom playing in the mud with her horn, couldn't help wondering if the right decision had been reached. How would this impact on their day to day activities ? Too late now....

Both the older cow Bella and her 4 year old calf where very quickly dehorned, the remaining stumps microchipped, the removed horns microchipped, the rhinos themselves microchipped

post-10663-1305985093_thumb.jpg

post-10663-1305985440_thumb.jpg

post-10663-1305985459_thumb.jpg

post-10663-1305985533_thumb.jpg

post-10663-1305985574_thumb.jpg

post-10663-1305985620_thumb.jpg

Edited by Game Warden

Game Warden

With regards to editing Ayesha's posts above, she will producing a fully blown article about the need to dehorn her rhinos, and this will be posted on the operators forum, to which updates will be added so we can follow Bella and mum´s progress. Matt

Sharon Bishop

DSC_0080%20final%20ab%202%20f.jpg

This image was taken at Weenen Game reserve a couple of years ago. The rhinos pictured are part of a crash of eleven that continued grazing despite the massive storm going on over the Drakensberg mountains. After the storm they all split up and went on their separate ways.

Game Warden

Wow, what a first post. Cracking photo Sharon, thankyou!

Wow Sharon - Winning photo.

I have one for Ayesha.

gallery_4095_89_61391.jpg

Ayesha Cantor

Mrs DikDik, it's YOU !

This must be Bulla, I'm sure you sent Garnett a copy..... Gosh, to think, we sold him due to the poaching threats , seeing him again can't help noticing that Bella's horn was way way bigger.... joh, sad man.....

Thanks for posting....would you mind e-mailing me the image, I'm trying to put together an album if Garnetts life with wild animals....shhh, it's a secret....

Regards, Ayesha

Sharon Bishop
Wow, what a first post. Cracking photo Sharon, thankyou!

Thanks so much

Game Warden
Mrs DikDik, it's YOU !

Nonsense. That chap with Bulla looks nothing like Mrs DikDik. I've met her. I know... :D

Mrs DikDik, it's YOU !

Nonsense. That chap with Bulla looks nothing like Mrs DikDik. I've met her. I know... ;)

I must admit that I wondered who Dikdik had married, a rhino or a man .............. odd. :P

Ayesha Cantor

Ooops, my bad ( blushing) Have to be more careful with what & how I say things....lucky ya'll are not doff hey !

samburumags

This is Baracka the blind rhino who was saved by the Ol Pejeta Conservancy I was allowed to feed him suger cane and scratch his nose - quite an experience.post-6341-1306146941_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

With World Rhino day approaching, (Sept 22nd) how about we upload a few more rhino pictures to this thread? Who´ll be the first to submit images of "Safaritalk" at Ol Pejeta?

Rhino photos I can do. I took hundreds in January.

The black rhino cow has two calves, her most recent and one from previous years. Her story is coming up in my stalled trip report. ;)

gallery_5545_368_139732.jpg

Now THATS a first for me, twins and a Black Rhino at that, just brilliant !