Show us your rhino photos!

Game Warden

Perhaps if they are very large they are being automatically down-sized?

@@Zubbie15 You are linking to the album thumbnail. Click on the thumbnail, expand to full size and copy the image URL.

Voila...

gallery_47376_1184_24171.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

post-49296-0-18673000-1429988036_thumb.jpg

Who Says that Rhinos Aren't Patient?

Photographed on 9 February, 2014 at 12:24 pm in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya, with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/3200 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

When observing this Diceros bicornis, Black Rhinoceros, it was exceedingly patient with the frequent comings and goings of a group of oxpeckers. I doubt if I would have been as sanguine about such a flurry of activity on my back.

gallery_45142_1255_8732834.jpg

gallery_45142_1255_8732834.jpg

~ @Earthian:

What a pose!

Your wonderful rhino image shows a side of rhinos that I've never seen.

I like the colors, lighting and the feeling of looking in on what is otherwise rarely observed.

Many thanks for sharing such a fine image.

Tom K.

From our latest trip! The 'Red' Rhino family

post-17162-0-32434100-1430315492_thumb.jpg

Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-57281900-1430912477_thumb.jpg

Newborn Ceratotherium simum in Nairobi National Park

Photographed in Nairobi National Park on 4 May, 2015 at 2:05 pm with an EOS 1D Mark IV camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 5000, 1/2500 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

The initial game drive in Nairobi National Park as a guest of the Emakoko was guided by Peter Muigai, who spotted a mother Ceratotherium simum in the bush.

While photographing her I noticed a tiny shape beside her, which turned out to be a newborn calf.

Three KWS soldiers helped us during the evening game drive, including Alex, who confirmed the baby's recent birth but was surprised that it had been observed and photographed.

This may be one of its first portraits, in what will be a long life.

theplainswanderer

nice work Tom

Tom Kellie

nice work Tom

~ @theplainswanderer:

Thank you!

It was a highlight of the safari.

Tom K.

Rhino28_zpsqdmxiv6i.jpg

Rhino23_zpsiaqknbdr.jpg

Rhino22_zpss2nzzki5.jpg

Rhino14_zpszfmqsq33.jpg

Rhino13_zpswujj10so.jpg

Rhino36_zpscg23jhos.jpg

Who Says that Rhinos Aren't Patient?

Photographed on 9 February, 2014 at 12:24 pm in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya, with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/3200 sec., f/5.6, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

When observing this Diceros bicornis, Black Rhinoceros, it was exceedingly patient with the frequent comings and goings of a group of oxpeckers. I doubt if I would have been as sanguine about such a flurry of activity on my back.

@@Tom Kellie

the reason that they are patient is that the oxpecker birds play a useful role in removing ticks and other bugs which harass the rhino. But is suspect you already knew that. do you get many like me in your class at college, Tom? :)

secondly, i know you prefer to handhold your lens/camera but does that require 1/3200 sec for a cooperative subject? or maybe like me you were photographing BIF and the setting stayed. happens to me all the time. no offence meant. :unsure:

@@Tom Kellie

not highjacking this thread but just adding substance to my point by this photo: if you look closely you can see a tick(?) in the oxpecker's beak.

gallery_45142_1255_307030.jpg

Edited by Earthian

@@Tom Kellie

while i am at it, there is one more thing. when you post a message to me, i don't get a notification. while i get a notification when other members do. Is it because you use "~" before "@"? @@JohnR -could you opine?

@@Earthian In the page http://safaritalk.net/topic/10455-use-the-name-mention-facility/ where this feature was promoted it was mentioned that the @mention should not be followed by any punctuation, it doesn't say anything about not being preceded by any special symbols. I couldn't find anything in the help files about this. We shall have to wait for the @@Game Warden to return from his wanderings I guess unless one of the moderators knows more. @@twaffle @Widlddog ?

Tom Kellie

the reason that they are patient is that the oxpecker birds play a useful role in removing ticks and other bugs which harass the rhino. But is suspect you already knew that. do you get many like me in your class at college, Tom? :)

secondly, i know you prefer to handhold your lens/camera but does that require 1/3200 sec for a cooperative subject? or maybe like me you were photographing BIF and the setting stayed. happens to me all the time. no offence meant. :unsure:

~ @Earthian:

Thank you for your comment. As ever, I enjoy reading any comment you make about wildlife subjects.

Yes, having served as a university ecology instructor for decades I'm accustomed to having others tell me about various aspects of the natural world.

While it may often be the case that I've been previously aware of what I'm told by them, I'm nonetheless glad that they tell me again, in case I might have forgotten it.

Do I get many like you in my classes? My goodness, no. You're unique and special in your own way, thus unlike anyone else.

I'm not a professional photographer, but rather take images for use in my classes.

As such I'm unaware of any camera setting requirements for any subjects. I shoot in Manual exposure in order to experiment with different settings, as I enjoy trying out various combinations.

Why would offence be meant by helpful comments? Any of your comments are welcome, as you wish!

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie

not highjacking this thread but just adding substance to my point by this photo: if you look closely you can see a tick(?) in the oxpecker's beak.

~ @Earthian:

Yes, I do see it.

Thank you for uploading it and bringing it to our attention.

That's such a fine image, with rich colors.

Tom K.

Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie

while i am at it, there is one more thing. when you post a message to me, i don't get a notification. while i get a notification when other members do. Is it because you use "~" before "@"? @@JohnR -could you opine?

~ @Earthian:

I'm sorry to hear that.

I don't know the ins and outs of Safaritalk's message notification system as I've been a member for less than two months.

I have noticed that I myself often don't receive notification of messages which mentioned me.

It's inconsistent. For that reason I return to threads which I've recently visited to see if anyone left a comment which might not have reached me.

As my Safaritalk name is my actual name, similar to @@Peter Connan, I miss many messages intended for me because members type @@Tom K or @@Tom instead of the full name.

I hope that the notification issue will be sorted out to your satisfaction.

Tom K.

@@Earthian

Did you get a notification for this one?

It should show if the "~" before the name makes a difference!

@@TonyQ

i got both and hence it follows that "~" is not the culprit

@@Tom Kellie also confirms that when he posts in my name, it doesn't change colour as with other names.

real puzzle !