Show us your Lion Pictures

twaffle

Peter Connan

That just radiates intent!

Black-maned lions of the Kalahari

gallery_18242_1317_4247658.jpg

Too many of my images sit unedited on a hard drive, so I made a New Years resolution to get through around 7,000 keepers by 2014. Though how many I add to the collection could push the date back.

Some I edited the other day - I think I am semi-professional, before any debate begins wink.gif

@@russell I know the above quote is from a really old post. ...but did you ever keep you resolution?

Alex The Lion

@@Geoff

Not even close.

Still in the same boat 4 plus years on, and don't think I have opened an image for a good 6 months.

A combination of work, two newborns (2013 & 2014) and a wedding kind of got in the way.

Photography for me has taken a back seat, as most of my energies go into our business. I find myself sketching new plans for additional buildings/facilities if I have a spare 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
Taher Nassrulla

A young male lion - Serengeti National Park October 2014

post-49461-0-76958800-1439899124_thumb.jpg

HI all-

I have been enjoying Safaritalk for a year or so now but I thought I would try to post a few lion shots from a trip to the Mara and South Luangwa. Spent about 1 week in South Luangwa and then on to Kenya (Mara, Amboseli, and Nakaru) for a week. Like many others, my first trip to Africa some 6 years ago got me hooked. Been back twice since then and headed to Kruger and Zimbabwe next May. I love reading the trip reports and have put six more Africa trips on my "bucket list". Hopefully, I will make it to all those and more...

gallery_49119_1324_6641556.jpg

gallery_49119_1324_1640728.jpg

gallery_49119_1324_7862019.jpg

gallery_49119_1324_2371920.jpg

gallery_49119_1322_7313847.jpg

gallery_49119_1322_352221.jpg

~ Welcome @@soleson

It's so nice of you to join us in Safaritalk.

Your lion images are terrific!

The playful cubs are a sight I've never seen, let alone photographed.

Very glad to know that you've planned a safari for next year.

You visited Kenya? Great!

If you ever feel like it, a brief self-introduction in the Introductions section would held more Safaritalk members get to know you...but only if you feel like it.

By all means please share any more safari photos you might have. Your lions are a treat to see tonight!

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

Welcome, @@soleson .

Fantastic shots, the second one with the Topi head is just awesome!

Thank you for your kind words. As you suggest, I will do a self-introduction on the introductions page.

Great lions shots!!!

Spent about 1 week in South Luangwa and then on to Kenya (Mara, Amboseli, and Nakaru) for a week.

How about a full trip report :)?

I really want to do a full report. Maybe during my next business trip... FYI, I just posted several pictures with my introduction if you are interested. It's not a full report but gives a good idea of some of things we saw.

• 2 weeks later...

post-49296-0-68350400-1441194587_thumb.jpg

It's Been Such a Long Day

~ Photographed on 22 July, 2015 at 3:24 pm in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/400 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*******************************************************************************************************

While there's no justification for it whatsoever, for some reason I tend to regard the Samburu lions who live around the Ewaso Nyiro River as being somehow ‘my lions’.

Ridiculous? Yes! Yet frequent observation of them during many game drives has engendered a foolish proprietary sense. Were they to suffer anything untoward, I'd feel terrible.

This lioness was resting with several others in shade near the river. Her expressive countenance seemed to reflect a weariness with which I indentified, having often felt likewise.

Tom can we share with you some samburu's lions ;) ? we love them so much!

During our last safari we saw several hunt attempt. This lionness is looking at a lame zebra ......

An old lion near the river.

Adorable cubs the other side of the river (buffalo springs)

post-26959-0-45871200-1441214503_thumb.jpg

post-26959-0-25197500-1441214860_thumb.jpg

post-26959-0-04487100-1441215247_thumb.jpg

post-26959-0-06229300-1441215267_thumb.jpg

Tom can we share with you some samburu's lions ;) ? we love them so much!

During our last safari we saw several hunt attempt. This lionness is looking at a lame zebra ......

An old lion near the river.

Adorable cubs the other side of the river (buffalo springs)

~ @@Ben mosquito

By all means!

I'm so pleased that you share my love for Samburu's resident lions.

I've never seen lion cubs there, thus your image is a special treat!

I visited Buffalo Springs in late July and enjoyed observing lions there, yet no cubs ever appeared.

Your photos are so nice — they make me look forward to a 2016 return to Samburu!

Merci beaucoup for posting them.

Tom K.

post-49296-0-94142400-1441262838_thumb.jpg

Lioness Beside a Masai Mara Track

~ Photographed on 27 July, 2015 at 7:13 am in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya, with a Sony RX1 R camera.

ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/80 sec., 35mm focal length, handheld Automatic exposure.

*******************************************************************************************************

It was the final morning game drive in Masai Mara prior to returning to Nairobi to begin a two-night stay as guests of the Emakoko. We felt eager to see everything as the safari was drawing to a close.

What we didn't know was the morning game drive would feature numerous lions, male and female. This lioness was the first we spotted. She soon walked away towards a kopje.

We followed her at a discreet distance. She roared several times, then walked down the kopje into bushes, out of our sight. A classic Masai Mara morning begins with a lioness.

I've seen some great lion photos in recent trip reports, so how about posting them here too?

South Luangwa, 2008. A sub adult from the Hollywood Pride of that era.

post-5120-0-64400500-1442123881_thumb.jpg

ellenhighwater

Ben, I swear we have some near identical shots. There are from Samburu - one of my favorite parks.

15021431217_6277edb3a3_b.jpg

15211028031_3bbc399f93_b.jpg

20627091193_95bd33e8c4_b.jpg

One of Zakouma's beautiful blondes.

17864517222_a17dd2ec69_o.jpg 

Edited by inyathi

~ @@PT123

That's one STUNNINGLY beautiful lion double-portrait!

Where was it taken?

The colors, lighting, composition — all look terrific on my computer screen!

I'll have to keep returning to Africa in hopes of eventually taking as fine a lion photograph as yours.

Thank you for posting it.

Tom K.

As always TK (@Tom Kellie) you are far too kind. I just have an old point-n-shoot Panasonic that I bought right before our first safari in 2007. I just aim in the right direction and hope for the best! These shots were taken at the base of the Oloololo Escarpment in the Mara Triangle. (NB: I love typing and saying "Oloololo".) I am fortunate enough to be a repeat visitor there and there are quite reliable cat sightings (along with very good general game viewing). If you go during the non-migration and non-holiday periods the Triangle can be fairly sparsely populated with other tourists. When we were there last January, we were told that the Musiara pride crossed the river and chased off the alpha males from the pride located near the Kichwa Tembo airstrip. The prides did not combine and the Musiara dominate males ruled two prides. The two groups of females and cubs are (were?) apparently unaware of each other as they are located a few miles apart. I'm not sure if this still is the case...

**Shameless Plug Warning**

On the last couple of visits we've been alone at most sightings and at most there were one or two other vehicles at other sightings. Go to the Triangle people!! It's a good value with high quality, low-traffic sightings in the mid and off- seasons. Plus they need the money to keep the anti-poaching patrols up.

Selinda, Aug' 2005. The poor roan had been limping around with a broken foreleg so i was not surprised when we arrived at this location and found it had been put out of its misery.

We (travelling companions & I) suspected the roan was actually killed by 3 lioness but the male was not going to share the spoils. That night the 3 lioness took down a buffalo about 2 K's further along the spillway.

post-5120-0-58255600-1442454451_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

@@Geoff - that's the stunner .......... I do remember JM's image of the same ..........

As always TK (@Tom Kellie) you are far too kind. I just have an old point-n-shoot Panasonic that I bought right before our first safari in 2007. I just aim in the right direction and hope for the best! These shots were taken at the base of the Oloololo Escarpment in the Mara Triangle. (NB: I love typing and saying "Oloololo".) I am fortunate enough to be a repeat visitor there and there are quite reliable cat sightings (along with very good general game viewing). If you go during the non-migration and non-holiday periods the Triangle can be fairly sparsely populated with other tourists. When we were there last January, we were told that the Musiara pride crossed the river and chased off the alpha males from the pride located near the Kichwa Tembo airstrip. The prides did not combine and the Musiara dominate males ruled two prides. The two groups of females and cubs are (were?) apparently unaware of each other as they are located a few miles apart. I'm not sure if this still is the case...

**Shameless Plug Warning**

On the last couple of visits we've been alone at most sightings and at most there were one or two other vehicles at other sightings. Go to the Triangle people!! It's a good value with high quality, low-traffic sightings in the mid and off- seasons. Plus they need the money to keep the anti-poaching patrols up.

~ @@PT123

Thank you so much for explaining the context.

I'm a six-time Masai Mara visitor, including twice this year. I've been fortunate enough to avoid crowds, save in a couple of situations.

Your Panasonic does fine! The photographer and subjects with the camera result in a very nice image.

Uh, who or what are “the Triangle people”?

Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm uncertain as to how to find them. Is a lodge...a tented camp...a guiding group...a conservancy?

It won't be a ‘shameless plug’, but rather a response to an under-informed Safaritalk member.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.