Show us your predator birds

Jochen

You lookin' at me? From Addo Elephant Park, today. I didn't get the birdlist from recption...will try to remember tomorrow, as I've got a few more...

post-16818-0-59848000-1350582333.jpg

Oh good show, birding pics uploaded from the field :)

• 4 weeks later...

A tawny eagle (thx to Rainbirder) ;) and a fish eagle, both with their respective prey.

post-4018-0-21514000-1352997210.jpg

post-4018-0-24102500-1352997243.jpg

Edited by divewop

Nice images Sandy!!!

I think the first image is of a Tawny Eagle. All the Snake Eagles (and Bateleur) have bare unfeathered tarsi (lower legs) whereas the true eagles have feathered tarsi (though sometimes the feathers aren't that obvious).

Thanks. :)

I looked back in my files and you're right. It is a Tawny. I posted without checking. I'll go in and change it.

Carnaptious!
8117372778_c4f4005105_o.jpg
An immature Eastern Pale Chanting Goshawk perched on a Euphorbia in Tsavo West, Kenya.
(Carnaptious is an old Scot's word meaning irksome, irascible, grouchy, ill-tempered and always on the edge of a fight -the word is best enunciated with a snarl!)

Edited by Rainbirder

.. irksome, irascible, grouchy, ill-tempered and always on the edge of a fight - .. snarl!

Now why do you want to go around picking a fight with me so early in the morning by describing me so. All I was doing was minding my own business in my own cantankerous way (Snarl)

• 5 weeks later...

Pel's Fishing Owl

South Luangwa National Park - November 2012

PelsFishingOwl.jpg

African Fish Eagle

South Luangwa National Park - November 2012

FishEagle4.jpg

• 3 months later...

Amazing pictures :D

I take this on my first safari...

22.03.2013 - 6:34 p.m.

mjbvvl.jpg

Limpopo, Southafrica

Edited by lilhomer

• 1 month later...

This was taken in Kruger

A Brown Snake Eagle was minding his own business when a Fork Tailed Drongo appeared and started bombarding him to get him to leave the area.

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

Ow, what was that!

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg

Not again!

IMG_2460.jpg

Best I get out of here

IMG_2462e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
bushmaniac

Have only recently started to get into birding, so sometimes I'm a little challenged with ID-ing them. Both of these were taken earlier this month in Sabi Sabi, South Africa.

gallery_18242_832_61381.jpg

Ovambo Sparrowhawk on Burchells Starling kill

The next one I'm struggling to ID, as the barring goes all the way up the throat, but the eyes aren't yellow ???? Anyone?

gallery_18242_832_253474.jpg

urologysteve

I'm not a birder, so excuse my ignorance if I get it wrong.

The first is from Western Etosha and the second is a black eagle (so I am told) from Grootberg, Namibia. The pic is from my front porch of our bungalow. It was riding the up currents in the valley below us.

post-25370-0-17940900-1368992505_thumb.jpg

post-25370-0-57412700-1368993632_thumb.jpg

Panthera Pardus

@@bushmaniac - I would make the second one a sub adult Ovambo Sparrowhawk based on the white eyebrow that can just be seen in your photo.

@@urologysteve - it is a Black Eagle. The white "V" on the upper back is diagnostic, also the white lower back

Rainbirder

@@bushmaniac

Nice images of Ovambo Sparrowhawk!!!

-any images of this bird are rare but an adult and sub-adult in consecutive images

.........we are not worthy!

urologysteve

@@Panthera Pardus thanks for the confirmation. I had been told that before, but wasn't sure if the person was correct. I am not a birder, but love photography of any animals. I will need to work on my birding skills. Thanks again.

Panthera Pardus

@@bushmaniac

Nice images of Ovambo Sparrowhawk!!!

-any images of this bird are rare but an adult and sub-adult in consecutive images

.........we are not worthy!

A rare sighting indeed, still have to see one.

You welcome @@urologysteve

bushmaniac

@@Rainbirder. Thanks for the identification - I didn't realise they weren't so common. As I mentioned before, I guess I'm just really lucky in what wildlife decides to come and say hello when I'm in the bush! The photos were taken on different days and in different parts of the Sabi Sabi reserve earlier this month.

bushmaniac

Sorry, only able to get on ST on my phone and didn't scroll up far enough - thank you @@Panthera Pardus for your help!

Safari Cal

My go at a Fish Eagle, taken at Naivasha on an early morning boat trip

gallery_23619_842_5668287.jpg

My go at a Fish Eagle, taken at Naivasha on an early morning boat trip

What a great POV and in-flight pose

Tawny eagle, Hwange. Waiting for the cheetah to finish his meal.

post-17651-0-03960300-1369277596_thumb.jpg

African Fish Eagle, Kwara concession, Okavango, Botswana, 2012

IMG_0894.JPG